ADVERTISEMENT

City wins Duranguito case!!

Done, as it will never happen or done as it is going to happen?

it will never happen. COVID-19 is making a lot of people realize how insignificant most sports are. The city won’t build it to get a crappy hockey league team here or whatever. It will just sit there and be wasted if it were to be built.

it will never happen. COVID-19 is making a lot of people realize how insignificant most sports are. The city won’t build it to get a crappy hockey league team here or whatever. It will just sit there and be wasted if it were to be built.
what would you like to be see done with duranguito?

so you don't give a **** what they do with it, as long as it is not sports? Probably the reason you post your dribble on this site

That’s correct. Grossman and his cronies can make it nice or they could put a Cheesecake Factory there or someone like Paul Foster can build his own arena there. This has nothing to do with sports. I just don’t want it sitting empty 50% of the year, with the city pretending it was a good idea.

That’s correct. Grossman and his cronies can make it nice or they could put a Cheesecake Factory there or someone like Paul Foster can build his own arena there. This has nothing to do with sports. I just don’t want it sitting empty 50% of the year, with the city pretending it was a good idea.
my ass

So what happens with the money? I personally have always thought el Paso should build a nice Aquarium downtown. We might be the only city of our size without one!

So what happens with the money? I personally have always thought el Paso should build a nice Aquarium downtown. We might be the only city of our size without one!

Time will tell. An Aquarium is a way better idea and better use of money than building an arena.

An aquarium can go inside a shopping center on the east side. A nice size one could fit inside the Vista Hills shopping center on Lee Trevino. Isn’t that place mostly empty? There’s no need to build it in downtown. I went to the aquarium off 183 in Austin and I’ll probably never return. The placed smelled bad and it was boring.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Good question. It has to go towards the arena or must be re-appropriated on a different bond vote I would think. We really need the children's museum to be built and be nice. Personally I enjoy natural history museums much more than aquariums.

An aquarium can go inside a shopping center on the east side. A nice size one could fit inside the Vista Hills shopping center on Lee Trevino. Isn’t that place mostly empty? There’s no need to build it in downtown. I went to the aquarium off 183 in Austin and I’ll probably never return. The placed smelled bad and it was boring.

The whole point is to bring visitors downtown. An aquarium open 350 days a year, will bring more people downtown than a getting smaller everyday that passes - arena. That will be lucky to have something going on 100 dates a year. The arena will just cannibalize events from the Coliseum and DHC. 50 events aren’t just going to start coming to El Paso because a new arena is coming

Thats some bullshit. I thought you can’t use that bond money for anything other than what was stated, just like how Max Grossman was saying we couldn’t build a “sports arena”. It’s pathetic we are going on 8 years and this may be what we get.

What's the point in having a vote then?? How can El Pasoans trust anything from the city now??

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
What's the point in having a vote then?? How can El Pasoans trust anything from the city now??
I don't see how they can move the bond money to something else without a vote. I think they should at least ask the public for some options, come up with 3-4 options and then put it back to a vote.

Pretty sure the city can’t spend that money on any thing else. But mayor Magoo and his sidekicks will try, and then spend what’s left on the bond money in court.

Pretty sure the city can’t spend that money on any thing else. But mayor Magoo and his sidekicks will try, and then spend what’s left on the bond money in court.

Each day the arena gets smaller and smaller and more useless. Minor league sports will suffer because of this pandemic. The arena will serve no purpose and maybe draw like 5 events that aren’t suitable for the DHC.

Reactions: kickballpro
What was the arena going to be for anyways?

BBQ would be nice... El paso lacks good bbq.
It was supposedly going to attract concerts and events that the rigid (unscalable) floorplans of the DHC supposedly deter. Sports like arena football or an upgraded hockey team were on the table, I assume. Maybe EL Paso could bid for hosting NCAA Tourney games.

It was supposedly going to attract concerts and events that the rigid (unscalable) floorplans of the DHC supposedly deter. Sports like arena football or an upgraded hockey team were on the table, I assume. Maybe EL Paso could bid for hosting NCAA Tourney games.
I love the Isleta Amphitheater near ABQ so that could have been cool to have something similar. Oh well.

Reactions: MinerMambo
Grossman better develope the hell out of that area after what he costed us
Into what? The only thing he’s known for (aside from wasting our tax dollars fighting an arena) is take his students to look at old homes in Central El Paso. He’s so niche it’s unbelievable. Plus in order to save the neighborhood you’ve got to keep the homes. You can’t just demolish them, that defeats everything he fought for.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT