ADVERTISEMENT

Coincidence or what...

Haskins Fan

MI Hall of Famer
Jul 13, 2006
I am trying to put things together on how we got into this mess "UTEP athletics."
It is kind of funny that three of the most important key figures in UTEP athletics are gone.
Coach Kug, our AD and Coach Floyd, this makes me think that we are in a bigger mess
than what we think.
We probably created our own death penalty due to lack of leadership and vision. I just
don't see anyone being proactive and creative solve our problems. It seems like everyone
was contempt.
Feel bad for the next AD and coaches cause they are going to have a lot of work to do.

My 2 cents!

Go Miners...

You forgot to mention the apathetic school president....she is ultimately responsible for the mess the athletic department finds itself in. Like many on here have stated before, Natalicio has no expectations nor sets any goals for her athletic director or athletic programs. Her athletic motto is 'MAS WITH MENOS.' How pathetic.

Last edited:
I am trying to put things together on how we got into this mess "UTEP athletics."
It is kind of funny that three of the most important key figures in UTEP athletics are gone.
Coach Kug, our AD and Coach Floyd, this makes me think that we are in a bigger mess
than what we think.
We probably created our own death penalty due to lack of leadership and vision. I just
don't see anyone being proactive and creative solve our problems. It seems like everyone
was contempt.
Feel bad for the next AD and coaches cause they are going to have a lot of work to do.

My 2 cents!

Go Miners...

Yeah I can understand that, however, Senter knows what a mess he's inherited. Like UTEP did their research on him, you can bet he did his research on UTEP. I'm sure he's looking at it like if he can turn the ship around at a place like UTEP in its current situation, his next job will be his dream job.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I thought Senter made an interesting comment about how important HIS own future is tied to his choice for head coach. With Stull, you really never had the impression that a poor hire on his part would have any impact on his job. The reality was that he was absolutely correct; he remained until it was his choice to leave. To me, this is a big part of the problem at UTEP, and it starts from the top. Hopefully, Senter will come in with the mentality where there is accountability for performance at every level, including his own. Even at UTEP salaries, folks have been getting paid a lot of money for not performing.

Last edited:
Yeah I can understand that, however, Senter knows what a mess he's inherited. Like UTEP did their research on him, you can bet he did his research on UTEP. I'm sure he's looking at it like if he can turn the ship around at a place like UTEP in its current situation, his next job will be his dream job.

I just hope Dr. Natalicio can work with Senter and allow him to be creative and open up the wallet to hire the right people.

Go Miners...

I thought Senter made an interesting comment about how important HIS own future is tied to his choice for head coach. With Stull, you really never had the impression that poor hire on his part would have any impact on his job. The reality was that he was absolutely correct; he remained until it was his choice to leave. To me, this is a big part of the problem at UTEP, and it starts from the top. Hopefully, Senter will come in with the mentality where there is accountability for performance at every level, including his own. Even at UTEP salaries, folks have been getting paid a lot of money for not performing.

I nominate for Post of the Year!

Reactions: miner1liner
Natalicio is to blame for this mess. She doesn't care about athletics and only cares about doing the bare minimum for athletics. Then it trickles down from there. A president that is pro athletics would have seen the ship sinking years ago and stepped in to stop it. Her comment about UTEP does more with less than any school she knows of shows how delusional she is with athletics. Only track and field and golf were successful last year, the rest of the teams had losing seasons, but we do more for less??????? UTSA's president is pro athletics and the results speak for themselves. They are about to leave us in their dust.

Have any of you ever tried to register or take care of a 'hold' at UTEP? It's usually a cluster fck. You are left feeling like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon. I went to TCU and UTEP. I only have those to compare but it was like night and day

I also have had some friends and/or their wives work at UTEP. I've heard multiple times that some of the depts there are a disaster and some of the people have no clue what they are doing.

My oldest son is at UTEP now and he's had some issues alao but he has nothing to compare too.

Last edited:
I just hope Dr. Natalicio can work with Senter and allow him to be creative and open up the wallet to hire the right people.

If I'm Senter, this "less with more" mantra wouldn't fly. Unless he's a kamakaze, I would be stunned if his acceptance wasn't privately predicated on major commitments and concessions from Natalicio and others. Time and gravity are undefeated. Natalicio is short time. This athletic department is in shambles, a condition that was not totally unforeseeable for those who WANTED to see. One could easily argue this is currently the worst/most challenging AD job in D1/FBS. Senter better have some major commitments or his time in El Paso will be short, not fun, and unrewarding.

That has been the El PASO WAY FOREVER. Look at the Arena mess. The right palm must not have been greased. Slowly changing as the good old boys are getting old. Natalicio shouldn’t be here long, hopefully the next president won’t have blinders on. It’s a damn shame that a city this size is not further along.

Reactions: axingfools1
College that now makes top list of colleges for academics vs athletics? Hmmmm. I'll take academics. Beaurocratic at UTEP? Yes. 10k vs 22k students does make it more challenging.

Lots of El Pasoans employed at UTEP biatch about UTEP. Guess they don't need that good health insurance, benefits, stability, employee protections or better wage that are offered in private sector in El Paso? Oh wait....

Kug and Floyd dragged morale down for fans and ticket holders and others. They're gone. Drive 45 minutes up the road and you will have head hunters at NMSU who would love to have UTEP better booster and fan foundational support. I will give NMSU credit because I have heard they are having to hussle, beat the bushes, and find creative ways to keep FB afloat. They have one guy who literally travels around the country wining and dining well off gag alums with private dinners begging for support. One such alum had gotten into a little bit of a tweeting back n forth with gag AD a couple years ago over NMSU losing conference affiliation.

It could be worse.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT