ADVERTISEMENT

College Basketball news 2019- '20

Just find the vaccine already, I’m tired of hearing about something that is not as dangerous as the flu.

Just find the vaccine already, I’m tired of hearing about something that is not as dangerous as the flu.
Takes 12-18 months, but then it will mutate just like many other flu strains. It will be a constant catch up and guessing game just like the flu. Treatment is supportive care just like the flu. Like fanti says, flu is more prevalent and likely just as dangerous.

Prevalent. How many people are no longer with us because of the flu.

A lot. But if the corona virus affects as many Americans as the flu has (59 million this flu season) it probably won’t even be close. Even here in the states about 3% of all confirmed cases result in death. World wide it’s closer to 3.5%. If I remember correctly the flu kills less than .15%.

With that said, we gotta go out and live our lives.

Last edited:
Prevalent. How many people are no longer with us because of the flu.
Millions (probably thousands in the U.S. alone this season) and yet we didn't shut down countries, cancel cruises, stop conference tournaments, hit the stock market and gas prices and empty the shelves of sanitizing supplies because of the flu. It's understandable to take safety precautions but this is ridiculous. Not NEARLY the same as Ebola.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Millions (probably thousands in the U.S. alone this season) and yet we didn't shut down countries, cancel cruises, stop conference tournaments, hit the stock market and gas prices and empty the shelves of sanitizing supplies because of the flu. It's understandable to take safety precautions but this is ridiculous. Not NEARLY the same as Ebola.

I could understand if you thought the corona virus was being used as some tool to advance a political agenda here in the states, but do you honestly think that the whole world’s response, or at least the parts that have been drastically affected, has been an overreaction? You think maybe they know something you don’t?

Honest questions.

I sure as hell hope we don’t have to find out the hard way.

Last edited:
I could understand if you thought the corona virus was being used as some tool to advance a political agenda here in the states, but do you honestly think that the whole world’s response, or at least the parts that have been drastically affected, has been an overreaction? You think maybe they know something you don’t?

Honest questions.

I sure as hell hope we don’t have to find out the hard way.
Nope. I just think it's an overreaction and its causes more harm in other walks of life than needed.

The worst flu pandemic had a death rate of about 5%, but that was 100 years ago before we had decent supportive care, life support or even antibiotics for superimposed infections. Because of this reason it killed healthy young people.

So far 30 people have died in the U.S. from the 900+ cases. 24 of the those are in the same county and cluster of nursing homes.

Death rates will be higher in over populated countries and 3rd world countries when it spreads. Death rates will be higher in the typical categories in the U.S. and this is where we should be taking the most precaution. Otherwise, like you said, we keep living our lives, just like we do with the flu.

Oh and with a potential vaccine taking 1yr plus, we may see the biggest uptick later this year when flu season starts up again. Hopefully we have learned a little more by then and are better prepared. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Oh and another thing that is skewing the numbers so far is the lack of test kits for Covid-19 vs the testing capability for the flu viruses. Basically only really sick people are being checked so far. Once our capacity improves I suspect the death rate (especially here in the U.S. will drop).

CDC states that 49,000,000 people had flu in the U.S. in 2019. 620,000 hospitalized and 52,000 deaths. Thats an 8.4% death rate for really sick patients in the U.S. Worldwide it jumps to above 13%.

Last edited:
Good to know so many of you had access to and took a coronavirus shot alongside your flu shot. Makes me feel safer around you (not).
I strongly beleive in the flu shot. My whole family gets it and I am mandated due to work (I would get it anyway knowing what I know), but it's a crapshoot. A guessing game every season. It has saved a lot of lives, but usually only works half the time because of other strains and/or mutations.

I did. I compared how many people would die crashing into a wall at 350 mph vs 15 mph. Well I'm guessing, but I think my numbers would be pretty accurate.

Seriously though. The numbers are skewed.

Seriously, Mr. Fools, I'll take the advice of medical professionals over you or Tяump or anyone else downplaying the significance of the coronavirus pandemic. Until we know more, I'd rather not be witness to a repeat of this from 1918:

"Reported cases of Spanish flu dropped off over the summer of 1918, and there was hope at the beginning of August that the virus had run its course. In retrospect, it was only the calm before the storm. Somewhere in Europe, a mutated strain of the Spanish flu virus had emerged that had the power to kill a perfectly healthy young man or woman within 24 hours of showing the first signs of infection." --https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

There is no cure for this. There is no preventive shot one can take. This thing will run its course and, as happened in 1918, mutate if we -- the world's population -- allow it. Precautionary measures are wise and prudent. Why risk another 50 million people potentially dying by dismissing this as an over-reaction?

Seriously, Mr. Fools, I'll take the advice of medical professionals over you or Tяump or anyone else downplaying the significance of the coronavirus pandemic. Until we know more, I'd rather not be witness to a repeat of this from 1918:

"Reported cases of Spanish flu dropped off over the summer of 1918, and there was hope at the beginning of August that the virus had run its course. In retrospect, it was only the calm before the storm. Somewhere in Europe, a mutated strain of the Spanish flu virus had emerged that had the power to kill a perfectly healthy young man or woman within 24 hours of showing the first signs of infection." --https://www.history.com/news/spanish-flu-second-wave-resurgence

There is no cure for this. There is no preventive shot one can take. This thing will run its course and, as happened in 1918, mutate if we -- the world's population -- allow it. Precautionary measures are wise and prudent. Why risk another 50 million people potentially dying by dismissing this as an over-reaction?
Ok that's fine. I am a medical professional and this has nothing to do with either of our political affiliation.

Shutting down a few things here and there is not gonna do shit to keep this virus from spreading. It's all or nothing. Otherwise we take standard precautions and preventative precautions where it can hurt the most.

And guess what, there is no cure for the flu either. I already gave you some good numbers and comparisons to look into. I have absolutely not dismissed the Corona virus as you say. You are more than welcome to make you own determinations though from reading my posts.

Reactions: Autograph Boy

Can you really compare what occurred in 1918 to today. I might be mistaken but I believe we are more advanced not only medically, but also how to care for ourselves. Not saying this isn’t serious but believe it being way overblown.
Media didn’t have an impeachment, scandal, new me two movement to cover , so we get 23 hour coverage.
Knowledge is key, and the world has amazing people working on this, it will get better.

Can you really compare what occurred in 1918 to today. I might be mistaken but I believe we are more advanced not only medically, but also how to care for ourselves. Not saying this isn’t serious but believe it being way overblown.
Media didn’t have an impeachment, scandal, new me two movement to cover , so we get 23 hour coverage.
Knowledge is key, and the world has amazing people working on this, it will get better.

I don’t sit around in fear. In fact the Coronavirus occupies very little of my attention, however, I’ve read what I’ve read and I’ve heard what I’ve heard. Even so, I won’t pretend to know anything about the trajectory of the virus. I do hope you and axing are right.

Reactions: develman
I don’t sit around in fear. In fact the Coronavirus occupies very little of my attention, however, I’ve read what I’ve read and I’ve heard what I’ve heard. Even so, I won’t pretend to know anything about the trajectory of the virus. I do hope you and axing are right.
I respect that and agree. I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can as I may be dealing with it sooner or later. I can tell you also that CDC recommends stable inpatients with corona virus to go home with precautions (same as current influenzas)

Reactions: MineroFanatico

50 million people aren't going to die. Calm down.

Ok that's fine. I am a medical professional and this has nothing to do with either of our political affiliation.

I have absolutely not dismissed the Corona virus as you say. You are more than welcome to make you own determinations though from reading my posts.

Fair enough. Glad to know you are a medical pro and know how to best protect yourself and your family.

Still, you said there is an over-reaction to the coronavirus. I disagree. As I said in my earlier post, I think precautionary measures are wise and prudent and I think it's a terrible mistake to dismiss or minimize in any way whatsoever the magnitude of what this thing can do.

Speaking personally, I'm saddened by any loss of life caused by the coronavirus seeing that we don't have anything currently to combat it. I'll be absolutely furious if I lose one of my children because our "leaders" in Washington DC are branding this as "fake news" and a "democratic hoax" to prevent Putin-owned Tяump from being reelected. **** that.

I thought at first this was overreaction but somebody was telling me that the whistle blower is estimating as many as 50,000 deaths in the city where this all started and over a million infected, but I thought that dude already died from it. I tried looking it up but I guess there were eight whistleblowers from china

I thought at first this was overreaction but somebody was telling me that the whistle blower is estimating as many as 50,000 deaths in the city where this all started and over a million infected, but I thought that dude already died from it. I tried looking it up but I guess there were eight whistleblowers from china

That person has no clue what they're talking about. Don't believe everything people tell you.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT