ADVERTISEMENT

Conference Realignment Again

The talk I here on the radio in Austin regarding Big 12 Is that the OK pres wants 12 teams and the Longhorn network to be the Big 12 network....to ensure conference is relevant and doesn't suffer this demise....however, no big responses from Texas on this....who knows the Big 12 could be hasta la vista before you know it......primarily thru Texas ' greed....I am a fan of the horns mostly, but the greed of the school's athletic dept..is amazing...kind of reminds me of Jerry Jones....

The Big 8 dissolving and letting in the Texas schools from the Southwest conference is probably one of the worst decisions they made.

Texas is looking to single handily run off every former Big 8 member.

....who knows the Big 12 could be hasta la vista before you know it......primarily thru Texas ' greed....I am a fan of the horns mostly, but the greed of the school's athletic dept..is amazing...

And in other, late-breaking news, the Japanese just bombed Pearl Harbor.

Reactions: 66miners
Utep best case scenario:
Current teams break off from CUSA and make new conf. And add a couple

Utep
Rice
S.Miss
UAB
UNC Charlotte
Marshall
Middle Tennessee
W.Kentucky
La Tech
Ark.St (Football Only)
No need for a conf championship, less pie to divide, no really bad teams dragging them down in basketball with the exception of Rice maybe at least 4 bowl tie ins and a 2 or more bid league with a stronger conf RPI kinda like the Big East not as strong obviously, but a smaller conf like them.

Utep best case scenario:
Current teams break off from CUSA and make new conf. And add a couple

Utep
Rice
S.Miss
UAB
UNC Charlotte
Marshall
Middle Tennessee
W.Kentucky
La Tech
Ark.St (Football Only)
No need for a conf championship, less pie to divide, no really bad teams dragging them down in basketball with the exception of Rice maybe at least 4 bowl tie ins and a 2 or more bid league with a stronger conf RPI kinda like the Big East not as strong obviously, but a smaller conf like them.

You're on the right path just have the wrong composistion. If theres another big realignment shakeup cusa and the sun belt schools will split off geograpically. We would be in a conference that looks like this:

UTEP
UTSA
Txst
Rice
UNT
Ark St
La Tech
Ull
ULM
NMSU
UAB
Troy
The other conference would be:

USA
FIU
FAU
MTU
App st
Coastal carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
ODU
UNCC
WKU
EKU

Southern Miss and Marshall will likely be in the AAC. Conferences dont realign with basketball in mind. The schools in cusa and the sun belt want to reduce their geographic footprint.

You're on the right path just have the wrong composistion. If theres another big realignment shakeup cusa and the sun belt schools will split off geograpically. We would be in a conference that looks like this:

UTEP
UTSA
Txst
Rice
UNT
Ark St
La Tech
Ull
ULM
NMSU
UAB
Troy
The other conference would be:

USA
FIU
FAU
MTU
App st
Coastal carolina
Georgia Southern
Georgia State
ODU
UNCC
WKU
EKU

Southern Miss and Marshall will likely be in the AAC. Conferences dont realign with basketball in mind. The schools in cusa and the sun belt want to reduce their geographic footprint.
I know what ipropse won't happen, just a pipe dream of mine,that's all!

Reactions: utep2step
Thank you

Its a profitable conference and will be around. The question is whether it will remain a power 5 conference or there will only be four power conferences. OU and Texas both have one foot out and are playing a high stakes game of chicken. If OU had an offer from the big 10 they would gone. The hold up is they arent a member of the aau and the big 10 takes academics seriously. Ou is close to attaining it. If ou or texas leaves the big 12 colapses and all the schools go running like rats on sinking ship. The big 12 can live on as a power 5 if they can figure out revenue sharing and chabging the longhorn network to the big 12 network.
Revenue sharing will be the biggest hurdle.

Its a profitable conference and will be around. The question is whether it will remain a power 5 conference or there will only be four power conferences. OU and Texas both have one foot out and are playing a high stakes game of chicken. If OU had an offer from the big 10 they would gone. The hold up is they arent a member of the aau and the big 10 takes academics seriously. Ou is close to attaining it. If ou or texas leaves the big 12 colapses and all the schools go running like rats on sinking ship. The big 12 can live on as a power 5 if they can figure out revenue sharing and chabging the longhorn network to the big 12 network.
Revenue sharing will be the biggest hurdle.

That's the bigger question, is if there will be a contraction among the P5 conferences. My long money is going to be yes but that won't be anytime soon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT