ADVERTISEMENT

Cowing enters portal

And why would he go to the Arizona Schools?? Arizona was awful last year same with ASU. I thought he would want to go somewhere to have the chance to win?? Maybe play for a bowl championship??

And why would he go to the Arizona Schools?? Arizona was awful last year same with ASU. I thought he would want to go somewhere to have the chance to win?? Maybe play for a bowl championship??
He’s from the Phoenix area and has a child who lives in that area. And he’s just listing all of the offers received, not necessarily that he’s taking them. It makes sense on his end to show he’s a hot commodity. So far it’s LSU, UofA, ASU, VT, Oregon, Miss St, SCaro, Liberty and probably a few more he hasn’t posted

Hernandez and Jones seemed to have done very well for themselves by sticking around. If you're good, they'll find you. Transferring to greener grass could backfire since the talent level is exponentially better. Better to be a big fish in a small pond.
Jones’ parents live in EP and his twin brother was on the team. Remember Kugler was and is now an NFL line coach so it made some sense for Hernandez to stay and learn NFL technique.

Biggest reason is that the new transfer rule didn’t exist at the time.

I mentioned this when the free transfer stuff started......

I would try and form a Partnership with Texas. Tell them we will run your Offense and Defense. You now have 160+ scholarships. Give us your Freshman and Sophmores, we will give them the reps here and send them your way if they're ready. We are your Triple A affiliate.

I would try and form a Partnership with Texas. Tell them we will run your Offense and Defense. You now have 160+ scholarships. Give us your Freshman and Sophmores, we will give them the reps here and send them your way if they're ready. We are your Triple A affiliate.
Very interesting

Is Herman Edwards still the HC at ASU? He runs the type of offense to showcase a receiver and can sell his NFL ties to Cowing along with being closer to his family

Jones’ parents live in EP and his twin brother was on the team. Remember Kugler was and is now an NFL line coach so it made some sense for Hernandez to stay and learn NFL technique.

Biggest reason is that the new transfer rule didn’t exist at the time.
USC really, really wanted Hernandez along with other P5 schools but he didn't qualify I think?

I just hope we don’t lose players on the defensive side of the ball…. That has to be completely frustrating for dimel losing these guys

This isn’t good, Smith didn’t do much, but has a ton of potential. Is something going on in the program? Do they just not want to play a boring offense? Senter jumped the gun with the extension… some may not agree, we will see. If Hardison bolts too, we are screwed. You have to wonder if another mid major may see the potential in him?

This isn’t good, Smith didn’t do much, but has a ton of potential. Is something going on in the program? Do they just not want to play a boring offense? Senter jumped the gun with the extension… some may not agree, we will see. If Hardison bolts too, we are screwed. You have to wonder if another mid major may see the potential in him?
That's why I'm very curious to see what the raise and extension looks like. If Senter gave him another 4 years and a base salary close to 900k I'm going to very upset.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
That's why I'm very curious to see what the raise and extension looks like. If Senter gave him another 4 years and a base salary close to 900k I'm going to very upset.
I would hope his base salary increases for the same of the next “coach” but if it’s for 4 years extended. That’s plain disgusting. 2 seems fair

Yep. Senter blew his wad too soon, but in reality I don't think any other decent football will want to be here. It is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
Damn, just when you think the program is turning the corner and possibly contented for a conference championship…..utterly depressing. I hope Dimel is able to find decent replacements for Smith and Cowing. It’s going to be tough finding qualified replacements given Dimel’s offense. With inferior talent at WR look for Dimel to run on every down.
Anyone know who is left at WR?

In my opinion, Dana Dimel's strength during his tenure has been recruiting and retaining players. Seemed like guys didn't want to leave.

Maybe the season put alot of eyes on the players, maybe its the new transfer rules, maybe theirs a conflict.

In any case, this is really bad. Because Dimel doesn't have an offensive system where you plug and play guys. Old school coaches rely on developing offensive talent and winning with 22-23 year old men.

There must be another reason for him to leave because it was definitely not production. Potential yes, production no.

I follow Oregon football as I have said many times and cowing is number one on their list of wide receivers they want…. And we lost I believe (Oregon) two of our receivers too … it’s the stupid transfer portal…. They should be able to transfer if their coach leaves… outside of that where’s the loyalty ?

I think schools should put a price tag on these players like they do coaches. I wish that was an option.

I follow Oregon football as I have said many times and cowing is number one on their list of wide receivers they want…. And we lost I believe (Oregon) two of our receivers too … it’s the stupid transfer portal…. They should be able to transfer if their coach leaves… outside of that where’s the loyalty ?
No such thing anymore for most young kids and coaches (unless they have learned to make it a personal virtue). The NCAA has fed into it too. It will only get worse.

Oregon has EVERYTHING that a player could ever want. I assume that players leave that program because of playing time.

I think schools should put a price tag on these players like they do coaches. I wish that was an option.
It wouldn’t be a bad idea except that it infringes upon the right of the student athlete to choose where they’d like to transfer to if that school is unwilling to pay the price tag.

Yes is that possible?? Just like when coaches leave for other jobs there is a buy out clause.
I am thinking this is the next round of litigation for schools like UTEP because of the financial damage caused when a player of value can enter the portal on a whim.

Reactions: EMA884
Cowing made a name for himself at UTEP and other wr's will notice that. UTEP passed the ball more this year so it's not like they are running the triple option.

Reactions: Rot
Although I do not blame any of these players, I wish there was a greater sense and understanding of the value of commitment and seeing things through. UTEP used their financial resources and time to scout these young men, persuaded them to come out to El Paso, and then worked to foster an environment for them to succeed and to elevate their game. It is completely understandable that an athlete would want to go to the very best program that he or she can, but there is a lot to be said for showing commitment and contributing to the building of a team. Like others have said however, the current and ridiculous NCAA landscape doesn’t lend itself to helping the cause of schools like UTEP. UTEP must adapt and learn to work within this new environment of college sports.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
It wouldn’t be a bad idea except that it infringes upon the right of the student athlete to choose where they’d like to transfer to if that school is unwilling to pay the price tag.
But it works that way for coaches with a buyout. A bigger school wants your coach they must pay the buyout.

Reactions: EMA884
Cowing made a name for himself at UTEP and other wr's will notice that. UTEP passed the ball more this year so it's not like they are running the triple option.
So, so true. There were many times I was yelling "Run the ball down their throat, Dimel!" because the opponent had trouble stopping Hankins and/or Awatt. Fresno game was one of them as Hankins was going through that D line at times like a bowling ball.

But when you got a weapon like Cowing, you got to use him.

But it works that way for coaches with a buyout. A bigger school wants your coach they must pay the buyout.
A coach is a professional. As of this time, a college athlete is not considered a professional. Apples to oranges.

Look, I’m not arguing for what’s right or wrong, but the NCAA just granted a one time transfer without affecting eligibility about a year ago. A student athlete can transfer to whatever school he/she would like to that will take them. That rule was years in the making.

You seem to be making an argument for the way you’d like for it to be, and I might agree with you, but the transfer rule isn’t going to change any time soon. The NCAA is not going to take away a student athlete’s freedom of choice of what school they can and cannot attend. Making a school pay for a particular transfer would do just that.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT