ADVERTISEMENT

Cowing enters portal

This has nothing to do with NIL or just money.
The transfer rule allowing athletes to transfer without sitting out is the main driver for the changing landscape.
That and also the chance for Cowing to prove himself at a higher level. I said it before, hes thinking 4-5 years down the road. Hes not worried about getting 10k, 20k or even 100k in NIL money.

Reactions: kickballpro
I would try and form a Partnership with Texas. Tell them we will run your Offense and Defense. You now have 160+ scholarships. Give us your Freshman and Sophmores, we will give them the reps here and send them your way if they're ready. We are your Triple A affiliate.
Sark started following Cowing on Twitter yesterday.

Serious? Wasn't it you Uni that posted something about NIL money for all UT lineman on scholarship? If yes then please explain how this is not pay for play (especially if it's for 'charity').
There is no condition that they have to play for Texas. Can’t be — that’s the rule. That’s why most of these deals are one year or less.

I think schools should put a price tag on these players like they do coaches. I wish that was an option.
That would only be possible if players were being paid (by the school). Pay them and make scholarships binding(legal contracts) then you can place a price tag on a player.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Oregon has EVERYTHING that a player could ever want. I assume that players leave that program because of playing time.
That’s what I think too…. We have lost two players to Florida state that were starters … a lot has to be the coaching change but to me like you said Oregon has everything you could want it doesn’t make much sense

That’s what I think too…. We have lost two players to Florida state that were starters … a lot has to be the coaching change but to me like you said Oregon has everything you could want it doesn’t make much sense
Especially since Florida State kinda sucks now.

Looks like he has some good choices. Just hope all these young men realize that the diploma is also important.

Reactions: EMA884
in Basketball they transfer like at least 3 times. Why doesnt the NCAA do something??

He can’t get one of those at any of those schools? Odd post
Just saying sports isn’t the end all. Education is important. A lot of these players jump from school to school all believing they are going to make it in the pros. Some will some won’t. That diploma is going to help those that don’t.
Not to hard to understand.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Did Dimel recruit him to UTEP? And what other offers did Cowing have?
This is Dimel’s story, not mine, that he gave over the radio: Cowing was a P5 recruit and not on Dimel’s radar. Cowing did not take care of his college paperwork in time (Dimel’s account) and his P5 offers dried up. An Asst. Coach at Texas called Dimel directly and told him to get on the horn with this recruit. The rest is history.

He is listed as 2nd team on UTEP's 2 deep.
Are these guys just transferring cause it’s the cool thing to do. I understand Cowing, he would never had come here if he didn’t screw up his paperwork. But players who can’t get on the field for their team? Guess some will go to smaller colleges and get some playing time, or just don’t like the campus or coaches.
Guess I’m old school and when you make a commitment who honor it. Times they are a changing!

Guess I’m old school and when you make a commitment who honor it. Times they are a changing!

I get where you are coming from, but before that wasn't an option at all. Now an 18 year old kid that got a raw deal (for whatever reason) can change his outlook by performing well on the field. College athletes have a job and it is to improve themselves and perform. So if a regular person in a regular job can go get a better job with higher pay and better career opportunities, go for it. Why should it be any different for freshman who is still trying to figure out life? Yes, they might transfer for the wrong reason or make a bad choice in transferring, but at least they have a choice now.
Coaches go back on their word all the time. They promise the administration they won't leave, they promise they wont bend the rules, they promise kids they will coach them their entire college career, they promise starting time, they promise scholarships, they promise transfer waivers, but they go back on their promises all the time.

I get where you are coming from, but before that wasn't an option at all. Now an 18 year old kid that got a raw deal (for whatever reason) can change his outlook by performing well on the field. College athletes have a job and it is to improve themselves and perform. So if a regular person in a regular job can go get a better job with higher pay and better career opportunities, go for it. Why should it be any different for freshman who is still trying to figure out life? Yes, they might transfer for the wrong reason or make a bad choice in transferring, but at least they have a choice now.
Coaches go back on their word all the time. They promise the administration they won't leave, they promise they wont bend the rules, they promise kids they will coach them their entire college career, they promise starting time, they promise scholarships, they promise transfer waivers, but they go back on their promises all the time.
Most players do not realize that they can thank Ed O’Bannon from UCLA for all of this. The fight goes back to 1995. “Fair trade” is “Fair Trade”. Yes coaches do that, but SCOTUS officially leveled the playing field for players.

However, Dimel and experienced FBS coaches are opportunistic and coaches do ask some players that “they are going another direction” and ask them to find a new home and help them find new digs (no pun intended). Price did this, Kugler as well. Social media is used to basically save face, for lack of a better term, and Dimel knows how to use twitter as a coach and recruiter. We saw this from his KSU days.

UTEP players are transferring; however, by reading the tea leaves it appears Dimel wants to bring in a bumper crop of JUCO’s. He did it at KSU, he’s doing it here.

Are these guys just transferring cause it’s the cool thing to do. I understand Cowing, he would never had come here if he didn’t screw up his paperwork. But players who can’t get on the field for their team? Guess some will go to smaller colleges and get some playing time, or just don’t like the campus or coaches.
That's not exactly why he was at UTEP. It more had to do with a local coach lying to him about a spot being held than him not getting his paperwork done. Also, his high school was the hold up on the paperwork.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Some transfers are told the program will not be renewing their scholarship. In some ways it's a kindness because it gives them an opportunity to find a new spot before scholarships fill up. There are a lot of schools that wait till after spring ball to let the kids know they have no scholarship come fall. The rules are primarily slanted towards the schools. The NCAA is finally balancing the rules out and giving the players a little bit of power. No fans should blame a player for doing what the player believes to be in their best interest. That would simply be selfish of the fan.

If a rival company offered you a higher salary, a better schedule, and more benefits would you stay loyal to your current company?

Edit: I should have read the comments first. Looks like @Lord Chabelo touched on it.

In all fairness, some workers do leave for ten cents and a better lunch menu. 😁
I left a company cuz I didn't like the schedule. 3am - 12pm. That company put my foot in the door of the industry.

I believe in doing what's best for yourself and your family. I'm not going to be unhappy just to show someone loyalty that would replace me in a heartbeat if someone better came along. Life is too short and time never returns.

Understood, but some of these guys aren't leaving for a better job at a bigger company. Like this latest kid, will be at a smaller company and get paid less and work more lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT