ADVERTISEMENT

Cowing enters portal

Alabama also poached All American CB Eli Ricks from LSU last week. Last year Alabama poached LB Too Too from Tennessee and he led Alabama in tackles this season and they also poached WR J. Williams from Ohio State and he led Alabama in receiving yards and TD’s this season. Good players on P5 programs are going to be looking to go play with championship level P5 programs.

Reactions: Minerforlife
There will be more players transfer from p5 to p5 than there will be g5 to p5. It's magnified more at g5 where the depth usually is not as good. However, it's effects p5 as much. Ask Geoff Collins. He just had his all acc and 2nd team all American running back poached by Alabama.
While that may be true, the assertion was that the transferring of P5 level talent is more of an issue for G5 schools. P5s, even the least competitive, can reload so much easier. It’s almost like pro sports where the process resembles trades for the P5s.

Disappointing....Cowing had a feel good story - overlooked, under-rated, and he worked hard to prove himself. That's the Miner grit way. I was selfishly hoping for him to take it to the next level and when he did, for him to look back and thank UTEP for believing in him and giving him the shot that would lead to him becoming The Best receiver in school history. Instead, he'll take it to the next level (P5) but it's as if he's now saying: Hey Utep, thanks but you suck, I don't, see ya later. But in all fairness, he's just a young man wanting to do what's best for him...and that's the way things are today.
Well, with the TP in full swing, hope we can get someone as a payback.

Say what you will about Dimel, I think he's embracing this Portal age of college athletics and will fill in spots as needed with JC and D1 transfers. I actually agree with a plan at Utep to bring in half high school other half transfers ready to compete from Day 1 and spring ball! It's a formula that can work for Utep, I think.

Say what you will about Dimel, I think he's embracing this Portal age of college athletics and will fill in spots as needed with JC and D1 transfers. I actually agree with a plan at Utep to bring in half high school other half transfers ready to compete from Day 1 and spring ball! It's a formula that can work for Utep, I think.
Did he actually say that was his plan ? If so great, but no one he’s bringing in is going to replace Cowing. Terrible news

The issue with the new transfer rules is really gonna hurt schools like Utep. Anytime we get a player who is good enough, Bigger schools will be in their ear to transfer and not lose a year! Definitely need some JC or D1 transfer We'd now to compliment Smith if he stays!

Unfortunately you're 100% right. Now that players can make money and transfer with no penalty...this is our reality. Free agency has hit college athletics. And this is our first dose of reality because Cowing is our first superstar of this era.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Did he actually say that was his plan ? If so great, but no one he’s bringing in is going to replace Cowing. Terrible news
It’s been his plan for a while. He’s mentioned how he likes that they’re usually coming from lower tier facilities/coaching and are hungry to prove themselves. It helps build culture when the HS kids see the older guys putting in work and appreciating what they have. I actually don’t mind the strategy too much since it allows UTEP to quickly patch most of the holes in the team.

Tyrin Smith seems like the obvious choice with some of the games he’s had this year, but who knows how much of that was talent and how much of that was teams not allowing Cowing/Garett to beat them.

Dimel has said he prefers JC transfers over the portal since there are more good JC's than ever because of portal recruiting plus he can find JC transfers with 3 years left. He also said JC transfers are more x appreciative of offers than portal transfers.

I'm not advocating this approach but it's been working in our favor, especially on defense.

The JC QB we offered is still available with offers from NMSU and Hawaii too. I believe he has 3 years of eligibility and is a dual threat.

Serious question. If Cowing had a good NIL deal, do you think he would still have transferred?

I think we were lucky to get him for the short period he was here. Another player we will be rooting for on Sundays. Hopefully he remembers his time in the 915.

Reactions: kickballpro
It's kind of a gamble for cowing transfering to a bigger school. He was lighting up against CUSA schools. I hope he really is ready for the spotlight.
They are going to do what CUSA db's did, pull him down by his shoulder pads. It is his speed that kills.

I think we were lucky to get him for the short period he was here. Another player we will be rooting for on Sundays. Hopefully he remembers his time in the 915.
The weather and the mountains. No one forgets those two things.

This is the new reality we live in and UTEP has to adjust. Dimel has found great quality JC players that appreciate their opportunity to play at UTEP. This is the new norm for schools like UTEP. It’s tough to lose a great player like Cowing, but I think we will find a good replacement in the TP or via JC. One thing that will help minimize this is to build a consistent winning program. I think G5 schools like Boise St and Fresno St. are more likely to attract solid transfers from P5 programs because players want to play for winning programs. The winning culture is contagious. Mike Price had success in the early years by getting transfer players like Tyler Ebell. This can be done again at UTEP. I looked at the TP and schools like A&M and OU have a lot of players in the portal. There’s good talent out there looking for a new home.

Too bad if he makes the league he will be repping his new team.
Yeah that's what I thought nobody ever says the school they transferred from. UTEP will be a distant memory of he makes the league which he probably will.

I am prepared for players to leave now, so it hurts, but I think I'm getting used to it already. Next guys up will have to produce.

The scarier thing for me is that Dimel has probably peaked at UTEP (for many others reasons besides recruiting), but now he gets free reign for more time with an extension. We had such a favorable schedule. He lost the bowl and now his best player. I just don't see where UTEP football goes up from here with Dimel.

I am prepared for players to leave now, so it hurts, but I think I'm getting used to it already. Next guys up will have to produce.

The scarier thing for me is that Dimel has probably peaked at UTEP (for many others reasons besides recruiting), but now he gets free reign for more time with an extension. We had such a favorable schedule. He lost the bowl and now his best player. I just don't see where UTEP football goes up from here with Dimel.
Any word on what extension and raise looks like?

I think next year we end up with a similar record, probably 6-7 but maybe Dimel finally beats a team with a winning record. He's still searching for that one quality win.

Reactions: axingfools1
Hernandez and Jones seemed to have done very well for themselves by sticking around. If you're good, they'll find you. Transferring to greener grass could backfire since the talent level is exponentially better. Better to be a big fish in a small pond.
I agree but most young aspiring kids see it the other way. They go excel at a P5 school and put themselves in position for a higher round pick and the money that comes with it. Not to mention that EP is strongly lacking in the support department. Cant get a half full stadium, can't get an NIL deal, etc.. In this new age of college athletics its going to take the entire village to make the university succesful and relevant.

Most are coming back next year and good ones who are not in the papers or twittersphere for leading in yardage nationally. Dimel did good in some positions with depth. I expect a fight in November 2022 for the West crown and even if CUSA members get permission to bolt early or not.

He just listed the schools he is interested in. Did he really put Liberty as a possibility?? Why would he go there??

Reactions: FarWestTexas
He just listed the schools he is interested in. Did he really put Liberty as a possibility?? Why would he go there??
I see some schools that have offered. Oregon is interesting. They just got Hunter Nix at QB. Where is the list?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT