ADVERTISEMENT

Cricket's can be heard around Utep Basketball!!!

I’m not blaming Golding at all but it seems like the standard of UTEP basketball has dropped considerably. This has been a gradual process dating back to the late 90s but is UTEP’s place in college basketball that of a school where 20 wins in a season should be considered an accomplishment? 3 tourney appearances in 30 years is so unfortunate but history speaks for itself.

As for the transfers, right now it seems like the Wild West because there is little to no regulation with NILs and the one time transfer rule in effect. Hopefully in time it will all settle down and a lot of these players realize transferring on a whim isn’t always in their best interest.

Doesn't make it any more exciting for me if we are going to fall off. I'm not saying that will happen, but it's not looking great. Winning on the road is a good sign though.
Road wins: Pacific, UNM, USM, Rice, UTSA, Old Dominion, and LaTech. Meh outside of LaTech

I’m not blaming Golding at all but it seems like the standard of UTEP basketball has dropped considerably. This has been a gradual process dating back to the late 90s but is UTEP’s place in college basketball that of a school where 20 wins in a season should be considered an accomplishment? 3 tourney appearances in 30 years is so unfortunate but history speaks for itself.

It sure has. Most fans accepted losing with Tim Floyd and gave him a break because he was a Haskins guy. Tim Floyd and Bob Stull ruined UTEP basketball. He said he was bringing back the 80s. He couldn’t even bring back the 90s or 00s.

Norfolk State beat UTEP twice. Once under Floyd and once under Terry. Ugly losses still to this day.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Wow. The most in 9 years though. I didn't know that.
If this was 2004 that would actually be kind of impressive.

Pacific 25-8 Big West Champs
UNM 14-14 5th MW
USM 13-15
RICE 22-11 4th WAC
UTSA 19 -14 Southland champs
ODU 17-11 4th CAA
LT 15-15

Hopefully the Monday date doesn't keep too many of the 5k expected UTEP fans away.
I hope you can make it. I need you to count all the Miner fans for my bet with Fili. 10k is on the line! If not, will have to go by crowd noise and stills from the tv broadcast!!!

• Haha
Reactions: JCorona
Hopefully the Monday date doesn't keep too many of the 5k expected UTEP fans away.
I'm telling you it will be a hot ticket. Only way it's not at least 5k if UT Austin doesn't sell tickets to Utep fans.

Okay I'm going back on my vacation. I'm extending it to another 10 hrs.

I'm telling you it will be a hot ticket. Only way it's not at least 5k if UT Austin doesn't sell tickets to Utep fans.

Okay I'm going back on my vacation. I'm extending it to another 10 hrs.
Austin is a resale market. Plenty of tickets will be available on seat geek. It's up to the fan's of each team if they want to pay triple or more of the face value.

My only fear right now is that even teams in conference usa are making counter moves already. They've lost players, but it seems they replace them with quality transfers rather quickly. I'm hoping Utep doesn't miss the transfer boat and get left with scraps!

Reactions: Lil_Train
?!Dios Mio?! Trust in the Holy Spirit Miner fans.

I just ready UConn is still trying to fill 4 spots due to the portal. Newton was the only one to ink as of yesterday.

I think KK will stay. He looks happy representing UTEP and EP. This is his team now (at least for another year).
Kind of his team by default, since he's the only one left who's played much.

Don't think it matters much anyway. The new landscape of college basketball means constant turnover for a program like us. Building momentum and team continuity is a thing of the past.

Probably easier to try and throw together a bunch of grad transfers every year. It's not like we're doing anything with traditional recruits, and at least we'd already know who's leaving (everybody).....🤷‍♂️

So it looks like they got their point guard position covered, with a starter (McKinney) and one for the future (Sumlin). Correct?

What a rollercoaster of events to end Golding's first year at Utep. Legitimate hope in the Conference Tournament and what seemed to be a solid 1st year. Then a highly disappointing loss to S. Utah at home. Followed by hope that Boum, TV, and Kennedy may stay. Then Boum, TV and others started a mass exodus!!! Now there is doubt and uncertainty and it's unnervingly quite! Is no news good new or really really bad?

I have very strong sources so believe me or not.
Golding asked everyone but Boum and JB to test the portal. Boum was set on going over seas but is now getting NIL attention from Texas, Tech and TCU. He will most likely play in Big12 instead of going Pro.
Bienemy has never had his heart set on playing past college. The love for the game isn’t there, even though he’s a solid player.
Golding is very excited to build his team from scratch and he he’s started off hot.
Just stole Mario McKinney (4* out of HS) from NMSU.

Surprised this thread didn't discuss Mario McKinney
That just happened yesterday that's why. While I think it's cool to steal a player from NMSU. He doesn't move the needle for me. It's being made into a big deal only, because he was at NMSU. Maybe there is more potential than I'm seeing at this point, but he didn't do much for NMSU last year. Hope he does alot more next year!

Last edited:
That just happened yesterday that's why. While I think it's cool to steal a player from NMSU. He doesn't move the needle for me. It's being made into a big deal only, because he was at NMSU. Maybe there is more potential that I'm seeing at this point, but he didn't do much for NMSU last year. Hope he does alot more next year!
The fact that he was a 4 star out of HS suggests the potential is there. Maybe he’s a bust. Maybe he just needs the right situation. Looks like we get to find out.

Golding asked everyone but Boum and JB to test the portal. Boum was set on going over seas but is now getting NIL attention from Texas, Tech and TCU. He will most likely play in Big12 instead of going Pro.
Bienemy has never had his heart set on playing past college. The love for the game isn’t there, even though he’s a solid player.
Golding is very excited to build his team from scratch and he he’s started off hot.
Just stole Mario McKinney (4* out of HS) from NMSU.
This makes no sense to me. Why would you ask EVERYONE to 'test' the portal? Why not include Kennedy in the guys that you dont want to test the portal? If JB isn't interested in going pro then where is he going? Why can't we get an NIL deal for Boum? McKinney doesn't move the needle for me either, but I will give him a chance. How has Golding started off hot?

Reactions: nattybry
That just happened yesterday that's why. While I think it's cool to steal a player from NMSU. He doesn't move the needle for me. It's being made into a big deal only, because he was at NMSU. Maybe there is more potential that I'm seeing at this point, but he didn't do much for NMSU last year. Hope he does alot more next year!
I tend to agree natty. I'm not sure McKinney's best position is at the point. His game lends itself more to a 2 guard. The problem is that his shooting percentages are pretty horrific. In the half court, he will need to show he can make open outside shots. I think he projects as an Agnew type player. That said, Golding's system does allow for multiple ball handlers, and there is an obvious need at both guard spots. So there is a huge opportunity for McKinney to show if he can rise up to that 4 star potential. At the very least, I think McKinney can be a good depth piece next year.

Last edited:
Just stole Mario McKinney (4* out of HS) from NMSU.)
I don't know if "stole" is the right word. He tested the portal, just like most every other mid major player. We just happen to be where he landed. He'll be part of the revolving door that is foreseeable future of our program.

Golding is going to need to figure out how to recruit at least 6-8 major contributing players every year, and figure out how to get them to mesh within a season (maybe 2 if we're fortunate). We'll see how that goes...

Reactions: Lil_Train
I don't know if "stole" is the right word. He tested the portal, just like most every other mid major player. We just happen to be where he landed. He'll be part of the revolving door that is foreseeable future of our program.
I am so confused…maybe you guys can help this girl out. Since McKinney started at Missouri, transferred to JC, transferred to NMSU, and now is transferring to UTEP, Hasn’t he used his immediate playing time with transfer until he graduates and then He can use his graduate transfer? If so, isn’t this the type of player we want, because he would have to stay until he graduates? And then…with his baggage, would we want him to stay? And does he still qualify for the Covid year? I can’t keep up…🤷‍♀️

Any scenario where a player has to graduate here is a positive....i guess....

With the way things are, it's better than the constant unknown turnover every year.

As far as the rules go, who knows. Can't even keep with the changes anymore.

Either way, if he's transferred that may times already (including us), then that's usually a bad sign. A lot of these kids don't cut it in practice, or on the court, but still expect playing time. They still think they're a star because of their hs success, and sometimes it takes reality a while to seep into their developing brains....

I am so confused…maybe you guys can help this girl out. Since McKinney started at Missouri, transferred to JC, transferred to NMSU, and now is transferring to UTEP, Hasn’t he used his immediate playing time with transfer until he graduates and then He can use his graduate transfer? If so, isn’t this the type of player we want, because he would have to stay until he graduates? And then…with his baggage, would we want him to stay? And does he still qualify for the Covid year? I can’t keep up…🤷‍♀️
From my understanding, McKinney would be using his one time transfer exception for his move to UTEP. He would have two years of eligibility left, including the Covid year. There are different transfer waivers available, but the commonly used one is the graduate transfer waiver. So, yes, Mckinney would be a guy we would have for two years, if he doesn't meet graduate requirements this upcoming year, and decide to transfer again. 😉

From my understanding, McKinney would be using his one time transfer exception for his move to UTEP. He would have two years of eligibility left, including the Covid year. There are different transfer waivers available, but the commonly used one is the graduate transfer waiver. So, yes, Mckinney would be a guy we would have for two years, if he doesn't meet graduate requirements this upcoming year, and decide to transfer again. 😉
That’s what I gather. 2 years of eligibility remaining.

Did you ever see Teddy Allen pass the ball? I’m not trolling the guy but it was built around him.
I rewatched the NMSU UTEP game in EP this past season to get a better feel for McKinney's game. He played around 22 minutes that game, but Jans sat him down the stretch in favor of Pryor. McKinney did indeed play the point, and I thought he did ok. He is definitely athletic and very quick, and I thought guarded Bieniemy pretty well throughout the game. He had a few impressive drives and dishes. He struggles to finish at his size, but is tough to defend off the dribble. He didn't attempt an outside shot that I saw during the game, and based on his overall season percentages, that was probably a good thing. I would he very surprised if Golding doesn't look to add another ball handling guard, along with the freshman Sumlin. If McKinney had been on this year's Miner team, I would have expected about the same amount of minutes playing behind Bieniemy and Boum, which was around 12 minutes per game on average.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT