ADVERTISEMENT

Crucial month of football coming up for UTEP

The only hope for a decent crowd for those games is if GECU and Oscar step up and purchase a bunch of tickets again.

Friday games are a tough sell even if the Miners are good. It's competing with the high schools.
That’s not really true. Yes, high school games take away potential fans. However, El Paso is not Lincoln, NE or South Bend, IN. There’s plenty of people here and not everyone has relatives who play or care about their high school team. I have been to 2 HS school games since I graduated from HS and both times I went because of the others I was with. I agreed to go, I wouldn’t have gone on my own. I DGAF about high school football.

UTEP’s first ever CUSA game against Houston was nationally televised (when that meant something) and was on a Friday night. Attendance was almost 46,000 and high school games were still played and El Paso had a lot less residents then too.

If you give people a reason to attend, they will. Especially with ample notice. Fans won’t attend Friday night’s game because UTEP is 1-4 and they suck. Not because Franklin, Eastwood, and Andress are playing.

That’s not really true. Yes, high school games take away potential fans. However, El Paso is not Lincoln, NE or South Bend, IN. There’s plenty of people here and not everyone has relatives who play or care about their high school team. I have been to 2 HS school games since I graduated from HS and both times I went because of the others I was with. I agreed to go, I wouldn’t have gone on my own. I DGAF about high school football.

UTEP’s first ever CUSA game against Houston was nationally televised (when that meant something) and was on a Friday night. Attendance was almost 46,000 and high school games were still played and El Paso had a lot less residents then too.

If you give people a reason to attend, they will. Especially with ample notice. Fans won’t attend Friday night’s game because UTEP is 1-4 and they suck. Not because Franklin, Eastwood, and Andress are playing.

Wrong. High school football is a big deal in El Paso.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT