ADVERTISEMENT

Cruel Season is Finally Over!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Tough, Disappointing, Forgettable... Season looks to be mercifully over! I applaud the team for Fighting, but this was an Awful Season that I'm glad is done. Lets now get to the coaching search and hopefully we start hearing names as other teams seasons begin to come to a close. Time for new Coach and Era. Time to keep some recruits and existing players and recruit immediate impact transfers. Miner Basketball Fans Deserve an NCAA Caliber Team!

Reactions: Lil_Train
Thomas, Willms and Osborne were no shows, according to the box score. Did somebody get injured? Anyway, let the speculation begin.

Thomas, Willms and Osborne were no shows, according to the box score. Did somebody get injured? Anyway, let the speculation begin.
UTSA went 2-3 most of the game with at least two bodies on him the entire game. Second, perimeter D at 1st half was terrible. Everyone knows UTSA lives on the 3 ball and they made them. Also, the atrocious rebounding reared its ugly head again as it did all year.

Reactions: Get2Paydirt
I would not cry over Thomas leaving. He should go join his former mates at riogrande valley. I have zero confidence he will improve his game. Touchet should grad transfer to Louisiana Laffayette and play for a real coach in front of his home state. Hopefully the rest of the freshmen and Osbourne stay.

Reactions: Jimmy the Miner
I would not cry over Thomas leaving. He should go join his former mates at riogrande valley. I have zero confidence he will improve his game. Touchet should grad transfer to Louisiana Laffayette and play for a real coach in front of his home state. Hopefully the rest of the freshmen and Osbourne stay.
Welcome rookie....I agree

Reactions: burnme1
I just don't get ragging on Thomas. I remember busting my butt in high school every damn day. Student body, opposing coaches, opposing players, coaches from my high school football staff who loved my dedication and work ethic. My senior I got honored by getting invited to play in a national HS bball tourney that had Johnny "Smooth" Melvin, Shaq and other great players. Sad side, by my senior year my HS head coach and his staff left a lot to be desired and played an offense that was not competitive to what opposing teams were playing at that time(the coach West Loyola Marymount "Run N Gun").

Thomas needs the right coach. I'm not ready to throw him under the bus. He's no C Lang and needs improvement, but he has inside him. I don't see what you all see.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think a big problem with Thomas is the fact that his game and what we are asking of him are two different things. You can tell he wanted to be Kevin Durant. A big man that can handle, drive to the hole and hit long jumpers. When have the coaches ever let him do that? We want our big men to bang down low and play defense and rebound. None of which is his game.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I think a big problem with Thomas is the fact that his game and what we are asking of him are two different things. You can tell he wanted to be Kevin Durant. A big man that can handle, drive to the hole and hit long jumpers. When have the coaches ever let him do that? We want our big men to bang down low and play defense and rebound. None of which is his game.
No where do I remember him being recruited as such. He was a touted player out of Texas HS that UTEP landed. He got caught up in the Jones/Wilms/Thomas rotation that Floyd drooled over. Difference was Wilms was a veteran and Jones had zero fear and played as such. Thomas plays with trepidation and it shows in his game many times. He did it tonight. There was a inside play where he should've slammed it home with the "and 1" but he blocked from behind. That's what he needs to work on this summer. "Take it to the hole" with authority!

Thomas will be a senior. Stay away from the traps of college parties, " wine, women and song" and the rest of piss n' vinegar that haunts a young man at his stage in life and lead this team. Gilyard can't do it all.

But that’s my point, he isn’t a down low beast, especially with that frame. Remember he even said that he was not used to hitting the boards when he first came to UTEP? 15-20 years ago Thomas would have done nothing but hit the boards and play with his back to the basket. Now these big men are working on their handles as opposed to dominating the paint.

Reactions: jdubb66
Look, if he works on his "High-Low" game, weight lifts more, strengthens his 15' game, and mentality when down low, he will be a force to be with reckoned with next year. Now, putting in strength over the summer screws your shot but that's when you get to the gym and improve that skill immediately. Go to Wal-Mart and buy hand grips to strengthen hands. And for God sakes, watch your diet (which UTEP does do for athletes). If Gilyard does stay, you get him to be your best friend. Know his mind. If you know his mind, you'll know what he does in games (have you noticed Gilyard is hesitant to give him the ball when down low?).

Thomas's game lacks mental strength down low. UTEP needs to work on that. His mind might not be be jiving with his actual physical attributes. Cedric Lang was unparrelled in that. He knew if he was drown low, he knew his brute strength would take over under the rim. Remember Dave Fietl? Same thing.

Last edited:
The OP of this thread said he was the next Kevin Durant. LMFAO![/QUOTE
Dude that was 4 years ago get over it you've been wrong 90 pierce t of everything u say. Is this post a boy him..., No then stop trying to derail and stay on subject or keep don't respond.

Well that a swing and a miss by me. Hard to beat a team 3 times in a season. Almost on that alone I thought we’d take this one. Hell, I thought we’d even take Marshall. In hind sight it’s easy to see that hope sure can generate some irrational thinking. o_O
You just can't win against anyone with that level of defense and rebounding. Adding in a team that never figured out how to attack any type of zone defense, and you have what we have. Time to look forward. I'm just hoping we didn't see Gilyard's last game as a Miner. We need more players with his toughness and will to win.

You just can't win against anyone with that level of defense and rebounding. Adding in a team that never figured out how to attack any type of zone defense, and you have what we have. Time to look forward. I'm just hoping we didn't see Gilyard's last game as a Miner. We need more players with his toughness and will to win.

Well said.

If you see Gilyard in the street and as the "The Penguins" famously said years ago "Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave".

I look at this and see Thomas playing against ZERO defense. He would do well against us.

I look at this and see Thomas playing against ZERO defense. He would do well against us.

Well said. But I think this is systematic of youth basketball. Defense is not taught/emphasized. Any kid who is tall would have been parked down low and told “rebound, post up and set hard screens.” 20 years ago. Now kids want to dribble, drive and take 3s. When you have a 6’8” big man who is taking three point shots that just tells you his heart is not in hitting the boards.

Now my question is: Should the next coach emphasize a more modern style of play that emphasises slashing to the basketball and plays to the strengths that someone like Thomas showed in HS? Gillyard would be great in that type of system, obviously.

Thomas was always a big guard being asked to play with his back to the basket. Just looking at his tape will show you that. He hit a growth spurt in high school and began being recruited as an inside player but he is way more comfortable on the perimiter. That's were he needs to play. We need to recruit inside player who are tough and can rebound.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT