ADVERTISEMENT

CSU Bakersfield @ UTEP mbb game thread OPT

Obvious but…
acat-how.gif

Coach G! Have the team granny shot FTs if we keep missing them!

Yeah, but that won’t cut it In Conference play.
I never would have realized missing Frazier would be so huge.

But I respectfully disagree; I think this will help in conference play. Alcorn and CSB are good teams. We know what McKinney can do. Sibley is too helter skelter.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
Have to give a lot of credit to the Minera for their effort. Being out rebounded, especially on the offensive end, not shooting well from 3, not making Free throws…..statistically, this team shouldn’t win, but they are.
Gotta give a lot of credit to the players for finding a way to win when they don't deserve to.

Gotta give a lot of credit to the players for finding a way to win when they don't deserve to.
I think it's good to win ugly early in the season, with a team that is still meshing. I hope we can see improvements throughout the season. Hope we can get the win Friday (probably the best team of the trio). These guys aren't the most talented but they battle.

Frustrating game to watch; rebounding, free throws, shooting, turnovers at the wrong time all contributed to this frustration. Maybe tired legs contributed to some of these problems. With that said, we found a way to win. Finding ways to win is very important experience for the conference tournament. Maybe winning ugly is the only way we are going to win this year, time will tell. MM was easily the player of the game. I was extremely impressed with their PG number 1. He carried them on both ends of the floor. I don't know how good Alcorn and Bakersfield are but they are clearly both tough defensive teams. Hopefully, they both challenge for their conferences.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Onward to Corpus. Go Miners

There is one more college game at 11 pm if this one didn’t tucker you all out. 🤠

Obvious but…
acat-how.gif

Coach G! Have the team granny shot FTs if we keep missing them!
I don't in anyway wish to sound like Fili, cause I know the pressure is on a level I've never been under. However I shoot about 3 times a week and would say I'm 80-90% from the FT line. I'm old and out of shape and don't shoot nearly as much as these kids, but free throws seem easy to me. My simple point is that there's something that's missing mentally with their confidence obviously. I'm sure they make them in practice, so hopefully Golding can tap into what's going on between their ears when they step to the line.

It’s not anything mental their form and shot are awful and they have zero touch —- I hate to say it but because of our lack of shooting we are gonna be in a lot of these dogfights and I think we are going to lose a lot of close games in conference because we can’t shoot free throws —-

I don't in anyway wish to sound like Fili, cause I know the pressure is on a level I've never been under. However I shoot about 3 times a week and would say I'm 80-90% from the FT line. I'm old and out of shape and don't shoot nearly as much as these kids, but free throws seem easy to me. My simple point is that there's something that's missing mentally with their confidence obviously. I'm sure they make them in practice, so hopefully Golding can tap into what's going on between their ears when they step to the line.

I know when I played in the NBA, I would always struggle at the line early in the season because when we were in the practice facility there was a wall behind the basket and once we entered the arena the background of the stadium would mess me up. So I tried to get to the arena a couple hours early and just work on free throws to get my depth perception down.

We have been so frustrated the last few years that we gripe about a 1 point win..in OT no less.
I Remember Billie Gs team the first time out, a hard team to play against, and the excitement that the team brought, I believe Goldings' team will bring that intensity going forward and we will actually contend for the CUSA crown and just may win the tournament when all is said and done.

So today of all days one thing to be thankful for is the future of this Miner BB squad.

We have been so frustrated the last few years that we gripe about a 1 point win..in OT no less.
I Remember Billie Gs team the first time out, a hard team to play against, and the excitement that the team brought, I believe Goldings' team will bring that intensity going forward and we will actually contend for the CUSA crown and just may win the tournament when all is said and done.

So today of all days one thing to be thankful for is the future of this Miner BB squad.

Billy's 6 win team is still one of my all-time Miner favorites. Those guys didn't win many but damn they left it all on the floor every game.

I know when I played in the NBA, I would always struggle at the line early in the season because when we were in the practice facility there was a wall behind the basket and once we entered the arena the background of the stadium would mess me up. So I tried to get to the arena a couple hours early and just work on free throws to get my depth perception down.
Lol, 😅 that's funny! I do see your point, but also the fact they are missing these at home is even more troubling. I'll admit I've only listened to the last games so DB is maybe right about form. However at this level and as much organized coached basketball as they've played how is that an issue still? I think it's at least 60% mental though. By the way I'll take 60% at this point from the FT line, which is still awful lol

Glad they are winning, but Jesus. It seems like all they practice is defense and dunking. Hopefully we can pile up some wins and that may help with recruiting (along with our new NIL campaign). Now all I want for Xmas is a healthy team and some shooters.

Having ten new faces all playing major minutes shows. Winning games you shouldn't is a sign of a good team and losing games you shouldn't is the opposite. Can't tell how good these teams we are beating but we are beating them and that's the point.
Did anyone know that UTEP has a former "'Don Haskins Coach of the Year" under our roof in Coach Barnes?

"During the 2015-16 and 2016-17 seasons, Barnes posted a 49-19 record and was named 'Don Haskins Coach of the Year' in the Western Athletic Conference each year. He was also named 'Hugh Durham Mid Major Coach of the Year' in 2017 by CollegeInsider.com."https://gorunners.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/rod-barnes/1948#:~:text=Rod%20Barnes%20%2D%20Men's%20Basketball%20Coach%20%2D%20California%20State%20University%20at%20Bakersfield%20Athletics

The one day rest will hopefully help the Miners get their legs back. I know everyone’s frustrated with the shooting issues, especially from the charity stripe, but these guys are hustling and are finding ways to win. These close games will help the team build confidence and character. The players are still getting to know each other’s styles and will get better as the season goes on. IMHO, some of the issues are fixable and can be corrected by Golding, the staff and players.

And early season loses can kill a team. I remember one of Terry’s squads had high hopes then lost to Boise in Hawaii. It threw the team off for the rest of the year. Also, there are teams that will victory - this team, as flawed as it is, may be one of those teams.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Looking at previous season stats on some of the new guys, there appears to be some potential in improving free throw percentages moving forward. Not sure this is saying too much since UTEP is near the bottom in free throw percentage amongst all D1 schools currently, at ~57% on the year.

One example of potential improvement is Solomon, who is currently shooting 41% from the charity stripe, and is a guy who gets to the line quite often. At SFA, he shot 75% as a sophomore, and 62% last year. I don't expect him to be Rick Barry at the line, but he needs to be way better. Another issue has been our overall guard FT percentages as well. Givance and Hardy need to be better. McKinney is shooting ~50%, and Zachery is 0-4 for the year. Let's not even get started on the big men. I do think getting Frazier and dos Anjos back will help improve the overall numbers, but at this point shooting even 70% as a team is probably wishful thinking.

It's like we traded toughness and athleticism for shooting
Yep. Except we haven't been that tough or athletic recently on the defensive boards. I think some of that is due to our defensive scheme, but you can bet opposing teams are going to make it a point to attack us on the offensive glass. It is almost unfathomable to have won while giving up that many offensive rebounds the last two games. Of course, we will gladly take the wins, but that area is a huge area of concern as well.

Yep. Except we haven't been that tough or athletic recently on the defensive boards. I think some of that is due to our defensive scheme, but you can bet opposing teams are going to make it a point to attack us on the offensive glass. It is almost unfathomable to have won while giving up that many offensive rebounds the last two games. Of course, we will gladly take the wins, but that area is a huge area of concern as well.
Losing depth at F really hurt our rebounding (Frazier and Dos Anjos). I thought Frazier was the best overall player on the floor and offensively, I have heard Dos Anjos is the best offensive player on the floor. Hope neither guy is out much longer.

The fact we are winning games without those guys is a testament to the grit of Coach Golding and the players.

We have got to get the rebounding fixed. Last night we couldn't even rebound off free throws and defense can carry a team only so far, but if your giving the other team 2-3 shots down the court it kills your legs, your shooting and energy. It also keeps you from running a fast paced offense and getting open looks down the court. We have been lucky so far because CSBU and Alcorn aren't great shooting teams, TAMCC will be a different animal. They have several set up shooters and scorers and if we give up to many chances they could put us away, quick.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT