ADVERTISEMENT

"CSU" .... Utep who's your Daddy!?

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
CSU and Eustacy own us Period! Terrible defense and rebounding we might lose by 30 today! Disappointing!

And CSU is just an average team too. They barely beat Abeline Christian the other day too. CSU is the best non conference team we play and they are taking us to the woodshed. CSU isn't any better than UAB and La. Tech. Its not looking good this year. The MW owns Floyd.

And CSU is just an average team too. They barely beat Abeline Christian the other day too. CSU is the best non conference team we play and they are taking us to the woodshed. CSU isn't any better than UAB and La. Tech. Its not looking good this year. The MW owns Floyd.
We'll we both stand corrected Utep came back and CSU is pretty good beat a N. Iowa team that beat UNC and CSU is top 10 RPI

Reactions: mikesarabia

EABOD, Eppie.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
I'll take it, Morris and Moore are clutch, I haven't been impressed with Artist, hope he gets better and plays smarter as a PG. Right now Lee Moore is our best new player by far!

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I'll take it, Morris and Moore are clutch, I haven't been impressed with Artist, hope he gets better and plays smarter as a PG. Right now Lee Moore is our best new player by far!

Winn can ball, too.

It was a good win. Tonight shows that we are going to struggle bad when we play teams with a good front court.

Not to be a contrarian but Morris is just as good. He scores at about the same clip but takes far fewer shots to get those points. He's a bit more clutch at the line too. Not knocking Moore at all because I love the addition, but in no way is he better than Morris "by far". Just my two cents.

I think Artis got into a pissing match with CSU's little guard, Gillon and this took him off his game. He looked for a while as if he was trying to outduel him and forgot to run the team. Gillon their guard hit a few long bombs and it bothered Artis and he got way out of control and didn't run the team and we got behind. Came back in the second half though.

Not to be a contrarian but Morris is just as good. He scores at about the same clip but takes far fewer shots to get those points. He's a bit more clutch at the line too. Not knocking Moore at all because I love the addition, but in no way is he better than Morris "by far". Just my two cents.

Coog, if you look at nattybry's post, he says that Moore is our best new player. Above it he said that Morris is clutch. Obviously, like me, he likes both guys.

Or it shows that these guys are resilient and don't fold when things aren't going their way. Our rebounding has to improve but credit where credit is due. That was a good win.

Google point, Luca. While Eps is right, we will struggle against good frontcourts, you have to give this team a ton of credit for the grit. Great win.

12313735_1716463171898469_4860868892061476134_n.jpg

I believe we were talking about newcomers brotha!

Those two brought us back, Artist needs to get his head in the game and be more of a facilitator like earlier in the season, not trying to match scores with the other teams PG

Shame on you Natty for bailing on our Miners so quickly, I'll give you a moment while you wipe that egg off your face.

This team is going to get better. I am sure that after viewing the game again Artis will notice his flaws.

Go Miners...

Reactions: mikesarabia
This team is going to get better. I am sure that after viewing the game again Artis will notice his flaws.

Go Miners...

Well, if HE doesn't notice em, Floyd will no doubt, point them out. This team can be good. Getting McSwig would help out with his length on the inside (rebounds, especially off our own boards). And we've heard he can shoot the ball, from range. Even without him UTEP can be pretty good. Just hope we get him...and soon.

Reactions: allminer
we will struggle against good frontcourts.

Thinking about this a lot....I just can't agree. I think our inside game is coming along and is "ok". With our strong guard play, and those boys (guards) banging inside as well, I don't think the bigs will cause us to struggle.
I think a cold shooting night from the guards (which WILL happen), and a collapsing defense that prevents us from driving, will be our problem.

Thinking about this a lot....I just can't agree. I think our inside game is coming along and is "ok". With our strong guard play, and those boys (guards) banging inside as well, I don't think the bigs will cause us to struggle.
I think a cold shooting night from the guards (which WILL happen), and a collapsing defense that prevents us from driving, will be our problem.
I too agree with this statement.

I felt Artis didn't play well in this tournament, but to me is our point guard and the facilitator of the offense. I have confidence in him and he will make the team better.

Shame on you Natty for bailing on our Miners so quickly, I'll give you a moment while you wipe that egg off your face.
Dude your too late, egg was wiped off my face yesterday in the 2nd half bro, your behind the times lol I wiped it off with a happy grin too!

You don't agree that we will struggle against good frontcourts? Really? We just got worked 73 to 47 on the boards, giving up 28 offensive rebounds. We had to win in double OT thanks to the heroics of two guards, Moore and Morris. How is that not struggling against their frontcourt?

It's true that our inside scoring is better than expected, with Hooper's improvement and the addition of Winn, but Hopper never has been a good post defender, and Winn is undersized. And while we have bodies on the bench, Thomas us still very raw (as is the injured Jones), and Romine is incredibly raw. I stand by my original statement: a team with a really good frontcourt is going to give us problems. We need for our backcourt to continue to be spectacular in order to win against that type of opponent.

You don't agree that we will struggle against good frontcourts? Really? We just got worked 73 to 47 on the boards, giving up 28 offensive rebounds. We had to win in double OT thanks to the heroics of two guards, Moore and Morris. How is that not struggling against their frontcourt?

It's true that our inside scoring is better than expected, with Hooper's improvement and the addition of Winn, but Hopper never has been a good post defender, and Winn is undersized. And while we have bodies on the bench, Thomas us still very raw (as is the injured Jones), and Romine is incredibly raw. I stand by my original statement: a team with a really good frontcourt is going to give us problems. We need for our backcourt to continue to be spectacular in order to win against that type of opponent.
What is interesting my friends is the 180 degree turn around from recent years. We have enjoyed very good inside players but no complimentary guards. Now it's just the reverse. I'm kinda thinkin if you can't have both; I'd go with extraordinary guards over inside guys

What is interesting my friends is the 180 degree turn around from recent years. We have enjoyed very good inside players but no complimentary guards. Now it's just the reverse. I'm kinda thinkin if you can't have both; I'd go with extraordinary guards over inside guys

I would go with extraordinary guards as well. But...we should be able to have both...at the same time. We may just be a player away. Hoping that Kelvin Jones is that guy, with B Jones, Winn and Thomas as well as Romine all having a solid year's experience to compliment him. Sounds very promising.

Yeah I think our young bigs will develop nicely to give us the best of both worlds. Paul Thomas has been playing well. We will be stacked over the next couple of years

Yeah I think our young bigs will develop nicely to give us the best of both worlds. Paul Thomas has been playing well. We will be stacked over the next couple of years

Winn, Thomas, Harris, and Touchet are all underclassmen who have already shown potential to become good players. Flaggert has not yet displayed the same level of potential, but he has shown the ability to be a good role player/defender that every team needs(especially every deep team). Then we still have our highest ranked recruits to hopefully add into this mix with McSwiggins, Jones, and Jones. So in total, this is 8 underclassmen including 6 Freshman.

Winn, Thomas, Harris, and Touchet are all underclassmen who have already shown potential to become good players. Flaggert has not yet displayed the same level of potential, but he has shown the ability to be a good role player/defender that every team needs(especially every deep team). Then we still have our highest ranked recruits to hopefully add into this mix with McSwiggins, Jones, and Jones. So in total, this is 8 underclassmen including 6 Freshman.

McSwiggan, Jones, and Harris? Kelvin Jones next year?

McSwiggan, Jones, and Harris? Kelvin Jones next year?

I am not sure what your question is?

I qouted the post that said that we will be "stacked for the next couple of years." I then listed our current underclassmen who have shown potential thus far and Harris qualifies as a current underclassman who has already shown potential.

I then listed McSwiggins, Jones, and Jones as being our highest rated recruits to potentially go with that current core that I listed first. Kelvin Jones goes with this core giving us 8 current underclassmen who appear to have the potential to make us "stacked" over the next couple of years.

I am not sure what your question is?

I qouted the post that said that we will be "stacked for the next couple of years." I then listed our current underclassmen who have shown potential thus far and Harris qualifies as a current underclassman who has already shown potential.

I then listed McSwiggins, Jones, and Jones as being our highest rated recruits to potentially go with that current core that I listed first. Kelvin Jones goes with this core giving us 8 current underclassmen who appear to have the potential to make us "stacked" over the next couple of years.

I was focused on who could be "added to the mix." Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe you're right, I just don't think so. Yes, we just gave up 73 rebounds (is that some kind of a record?) but did you also notice we held them to 32% shooting as a team? Almost half of the shots were from 3 land. That in itself causes LONG rebounds, therefore taking Hooper and Winn out of play. Winn basically has 6 games under his belt and Hooper has played more this season than the other 3 combined.
Add into it the fact that this team is damn near all new learning together..
I still think good front courts "might" give us trouble, but I don't see it as real concern because of the depth and strength of our guard play.
Against CSU we didn't struggle against a good inside team. We struggled until the guards started flowing. That's my concern. When the guards aren't in jelling, we will struggle.

I hope we are both wrong. I hope we don't struggle at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT