ADVERTISEMENT

Current basketball roster

Washington looks like he could be pretty darn good. Good handle for his size and gets into the paint pretty well.

Should Golding keep one spot open for a big or is he just assuming that there be transfers after this year? I guess he has too nowadays.
I like Washington as well. He looks like a guy who can provide another scoring option, which is definitely a need for this team.

Reactions: axingfools1
I think Washington would ride the pine as a backup to Sibley. We might have that position covered.
Domingos is really rough but has upside. He'd be a great enforcer under the basket and he's a huge kid that can jump. He'd be a good center with a lot of help from coach Cox. Look at the last 5 or 10 minutes of that video posted earlier. He almost broke one kid in half by accident. He's #337.

I would look out for Hollins to be one of the biggest contributors from the new guys. I can definitely see him starting in a smaller lineup. He and Sibley could share a lot time at the 3-4 given the youth and inexperience behind Tydus up front. That could change if one of the young bigs breaks out, but we'll see.

Satterfield would be the other I'm interested in seeing. He could be a potential spark plug off the bench and push for more playing time if his shooting translates.

Interesting that only Hollins is listed as a senior. I know Covid is the culprit here, but it's great that we won't be losing anyone else eligibility wise. After Hollins goes, there's only one scholly left.

I would look out for Hollins to be one of the biggest contributors from the new guys. I can definitely see him starting in a smaller lineup. He and Sibley could share a lot time at the 3-4 given
I failed to see that ax, good point.

I know it's early, but looking at the team now and looking at next season I think we all agree that this team could used another skilled big man that can rebound and open up Goldings offense a bit. Also CJG will need to find an eventual replacement at PG for 23-24

Scholarship players for 22-23 (including Onyema because I don't believe he is not on scholarship)
JB R-Sr
Boum R-Sr
Agnew Sr
Giffa So
White R-Sr
Kennedy R-Jr
Saterfield R-Jr
Evans F (transfer)
Dos Anjos So (JC signee)
Sibley So
Kalu So
Maring Jr
Onyema So
TV R-Sr

Non-scholarship?
Clardy So
Dekoninck R-Sr

I count 14 scholarship players (including Onyema) so I guess at least 2 will have to move on to hopefully find room for another contributing big?

I know it's early, but looking at the team now and looking at next season I think we all agree that this team could used another skilled big man that can rebound and open up Goldings offense a bit. Also CJG will need to find an eventual replacement at PG for 23-24

Scholarship players for 22-23 (including Onyema because I don't believe he is not on scholarship)
JB R-Sr
Boum R-Sr
Agnew Sr
Giffa So
White R-Sr
Kennedy R-Jr
Saterfield R-Jr
Evans F (transfer)
Dos Anjos So (JC signee)
Sibley So
Kalu So
Maring Jr
Onyema So
TV R-Sr

Non-scholarship?
Clardy So
Dekoninck R-Sr

I count 14 scholarship players (including Onyema) so I guess at least 2 will have to move on to hopefully find room for another contributing big?
I can think of 3 who I wouldn’t mind if their schollie is not renewed. I’ll refrain from being a d*#k and saying who those 3 are.

Last edited:
I can think of 3 who I wouldn’t mind if their schollies is not renewed. I’ll refrain from being a d*#k and saying who those 3 are.
Well we won't need 9 guards and potentially 5 bigs, but I wouldn't be surprised if zero changes are made from the coaching side either. I think the players will decide. Redshirting could help a few guys too.

Reactions: MineroFanatico

JB R-Sr
Boum R-Sr
Agnew Sr
Giffa So
White R-Sr
Kennedy R-Jr
Saterfield R-Jr
Evans F (transfer)
Dos Anjos So (JC signee)
Sibley So
Kalu So
Maring Jr
Onyema So
TV R-Sr

Non-scholarship?
Clardy So
Dekoninck R-Sr

Your forgetting about Khalfani Hill.
He is 6'9. So that puts UTEP at 15, someone will have to transfer out if UTEP wants a transfer big.

I don’t know why but I don’t see maring or giffa staying also not too Sure about kalu especially with his playing time going down but who knows….. I remember I was excited about hill coming but who knows if he does

I don’t know why but I don’t see maring or giffa staying also not too Sure about kalu especially with his playing time going down but who knows….. I remember I was excited about hill coming but who knows if he does
I think Kalu stays

Reactions: Lil_Train
Maybe if Utep is good enough next year, KJ Lewis will stay?? He just better not go to SMU or Houston. That would be a slap in the face for Utep.

Maybe if Utep is good enough next year, KJ Lewis will stay?? He just better not go to SMU or Houston. That would be a slap in the face for Utep.
UH made the final 4 last year, are 19-2 this year and will be in the Big12 during KJ’s playing days.

We’re not in the same stratosphere. How would that be a slap in the face if he chose UH over UTEP?

UH made the final 4 last year, are 19-2 this year and will be in the Big12 during KJ’s playing days.

We’re not in the same stratosphere. How would that be a slap in the face if he chose UH over UTEP?
Well it doesn't matter he not going to Houston. Big 12 wont be the same Big 12 when Houston joins. I just think that UTEP is in the same boat as SMU, Houston, and TCU. If he goes to a Texas school. It better be Texas,Texas Tech or A&M.

How did people react when Kenny Thomas picked New Mexico?? I was young during that time . Was Kenny Thomas as highly recruited as KJ ?

How did people react when Kenny Thomas picked New Mexico?? I was young during that time . Was Kenny Thomas as highly recruited as KJ ?
I dont think he was as highly touted and I beleive he spend his senior year in Albuquerque.

KJ Lewis would be a great pickup for CJG (if he wants to stay home or if he ends up coming back home). CJG better keep winning and have a good plan for next year and the year after though. KJ Lewis is gonna want the keys so we better have a Ferrari waiting.

Highly touted, yes. UTEP wanted him as did other bigs. Still considered one of the best to play on the El Paso high hard wood and there were a lot of greats who played El Paso ball. Some rumors had him coming to UTEP. There was a bit of a surprise he chose UNM. The rivalry was still red hot then.

Social media did not exist. There was no 24/7/365 recruiting sites. But if you followed El Paso high school ball you knew he was going big time. Some still consider him UNM's best top recruits to play at The Pit. So by way of comparison to KJ, IMO.... yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: FiliUTEP
I dont think he was as highly touted and I beleive he spend his senior year in Albuquerque.

KJ Lewis would be a great pickup for CJG (if he wants to stay home or if he ends up coming back home). CJG better keep winning and have a good plan for next year and the year after though. KJ Lewis is gonna want the keys so we better have a Ferrari waiting.
"Thomas, a 6-foot-9, 255-pound freshman who drew recruiting attention from North Carolina to UCLA before signing with the Lobos...."

Kenny Thomas

"Thomas, a 6-foot-9, 255-pound freshman who drew recruiting attention from North Carolina to UCLA before signing with the Lobos...."

Kenny Thomas
Thomas was 6-7. I watched him play in high school. He was dominant with his size and athleticism in El Paso. I think a lot of schools thought he was a little undersized and played in a weak market. They were wrong about him.

That being said, I don't think he was as highly touted as KJ. I could be wrong though.

Is the transfer from SDSU on campus or is he (Evans?) still held up with NCAA clearing? I was under the impression that he would be eligible to play at the half way point of the season.

Kenny Thomas played his SR year in Albuquerque and announced his intent to attend UNM before. Hard to compare the two level wise as Thomas was already committed his Sr year. Funny business during his recruiting as he played AAU ball for NM that summer. He left EP and committed to UNM shortly after the summer games. Always heard Dad was given a job in ABQ to seal the deal

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
Kenny Thomas played his SR year in Albuquerque and announced his intent to attend UNM before. Hard to compare the two level wise as Thomas was already committed his Sr year. Funny business during his recruiting as he played AAU ball for NM that summer. He left EP and committed to UNM shortly after the summer games. Always heard Dad was given a job in ABQ to seal the deal
...and you'd be correct. Very dirty deal and coincidentally the AAU coach also coached Albuquerque High.

Reactions: Rot and Lil_Train
Ok so we've got:

JB, Boum, Saucy, White, Giffa, Lil KK, Saterfield and Evans

Sibley and Dos Anjos

TV, Z, Big KK, Bonke and Hamilton

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT