ADVERTISEMENT

David Hamm found not guilty of sexual assault

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Hamm would have been an undisputed backup to AJ. Was cut from UTEP after the incident, joined McNeese St. and was arrested there last year.

As a fan, I will come out and say Coach Kugler did the right thing by dismissing him from the team. He clearly sent a message to current players and future recruits that he demands common sense and good judgement. It doesn't matter if your a walk-on, an up and coming stud freshman, or a well seasoned veteran transfer from a P5 team with NFL potential. If your not smart enough to walk away from trouble or see it, think you will not get caught or put yourself in a position or place that could hurt you and distract or hurt the team and jeopardize a quality and free college education, then you don't deserve to be on the field, nor the team. And I am proud to say in this case, we're UTEP, not Baylor.

Reactions: jdubb66
And yes, that includes Jones as well (because he let McFarland go for smoking the happy green lettuce). I think Jones should at the very least, miss half the season.

Reactions: JCorona
Walk away from trouble???? She went to his dorm at 11p.m. stripped and got in bed with him. Asked him if he had protection. Then halfway through it all decided opps I'm a virgin. WTF????? And as for McFarland, it was PED's not pot. That's an automatic departure for a year. So, he was done. As for A. Jones, a half year suspension, give me a break. He has paid a pretty heavy punishment for his dwi arrest. Not going into what it was, but it wasn't fun for him. Move on!!!!!

It was reported he took marijuana for some type of relief he was needing due to football, but PED's, fine! What difference does that make? He got busted for a substance he should not have been taking and as Kugler stated to the news "he made a bad decision" and it cost him. Heavy punishment for Jones? Please, go into his heavy punishment and what it was?! I'm serious. And let's refrain from the "we all have had a few and got behind the wheel in our life" debate. It's about consistency.

And "stop" means "stop", no matter what circumstance. I have a daughter and would never, ever, ever, want her to go through what the victim went through. I have had female friends who have been raped or who have had a male force their way on to them and the trauma is unreal for them.

As I said, Kugler is a good man and a good coach. I have had my own "wish I can do over" moments regarding professional decisions. You make a decision and you live with it. That is my point about all this. From the head coach to the player who likes to walk through a pile of poop, instead of like most people who decide to walk around it. Hamm, McFarland and Jones decided to walk through the poop and got caught. If Jones received serious punishment, then so be it. If we as fans and ticket holders think what is done is done, then Hamm should have a chance to appeal (if he so wishes) since a court found him not guilty. Jones plead guilty and test results showed McFarland guilty.

I
And "stop" means "stop", no matter what circumstance. I have a daughter and would never, ever, ever, want her to go through what the victim went through. I have had female friends who have been raped or who have had a male force their way on to them and the trauma is unreal for them.

From what I read she never said "No" or "Stop".

As a father of a son and a daughter both, this case has been weighing on my mind since I read the details around it yesterday. Just bad news for everyone involved...

Edit: And I'm seeing now that her lawyer is saying that she DID say "no" several times. If that's the case, he should have been convicted.

Last edited:
That is correct Jeeber, she never said the magic word "no." In her words she said she just "froze." If both are intoxicated and the female never says no, it's consensual. You can't go back and regret the night happened in a court of law. I've got a daughter and will eventually have the talk about booze and boys and how that combo should be avoided by all means.

Reactions: CubsFan81
It really is a tricky situation when booze and sex is involved. I can only think that maybe Dave Chappelle was right.

Edit: And I'm seeing now that her lawyer is saying that she DID say "no" several times. If that's the case, he should have been convicted.

Well, if convictions were as easy as the plaintiff saying, yes, it really, really, really happened, then yes, he should have been convicted. Fortunately, the legal system requires more evidence. Short of a witness, the only thing jurors can rely on is actions. It took the jury a little less than 2 hours to decide the actions of the two parties weren't sufficient enough to warrant a rape conviction. Not that it didn't happen, but that the evidence was simply not there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT