ADVERTISEMENT

Did you catch what...

miner1liner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2014
...Jay Bilas or someone said about the 1966 Seattle game that messed up the perfect season? There was not a single foul called against Seattle the entire game. I didn't remember that or forgot it. That's gotta be the 8th wonder of the world. Can anyone verify that?

I find that hard to believe, but I checked through all the old box scores, web and historical accounts of the game and I can't find any reference to fouls or no fouls called. Strange, I know the Times ran the box scores on games with their tribute to 1966, but can find a Seattle reference, only the home game (they played a home and home series that year).

I find that hard to believe, but I checked through all the old box scores, web and historical accounts of the game and I can't find any reference to fouls or no fouls called. Strange, I know the Times ran the box scores on games with their tribute to 1966, but can find a Seattle reference, only the home game (they played a home and home series that year).
Thanks Skeeter. I did all the checking I could think of as well. Found nothing. The UTEP SPORTS INFO DEPT should be able to provide an answer, but I've gone to them before on similar matters and got no response or even any interest.

Interesting write up. Strange comment's about Miners taking circus shots and behind the back passes, hints that they were undisciplined and showboats. I can't see a Haskins coached team playing that way.

Interesting write up. Strange comment's about Miners taking circus shots and behind the back passes, hints that they were undisciplined and showboats. I can't see a Haskins coached team playing that way.
Those were manufactured comments. Did not happen. Haskins would sentence any such offender to the guillotine. If you watched "The Game" you could see for yourself.

Reactions: miner661
Those were manufactured comments. Did not happen. Haskins would sentence any such offender to the guillotine. If you watched "The Game" you could see for yourself.

Absolutely. I remember watching a game (the opponent may have been Wyoming) in the SEC in the mid-80's. A young Jeep Jackson decided to get cute with the ball and ended up turning it over for a fast break layup. At the next dead ball timeout, Haskins said a few choice words to Jeep and he made his way down to the end of the bench, where he sat for the remainder of the game.

Here's Coach's take on the game:

"During the game Bobby Joe took the ball to the basket, leapt in the air, and got cut from underneath by a Seattle player. He went down hard and no foul was called. I was going crazy and then I heard the Seattle crowd shouting and it sounded like 'Boo, boo." I couldn't understand it, they should have been happy there was no call. Well, Moe Iba tells me the official's name is Lou. There were shouting 'Louuuu, Louuu." The stands were chanting the official's name. Damnedest thing I ever heard. They loved Lou there. And ole Lou took care them pretty good, we didn't get a damned call all game. The next year we played at Seattle again and when I saw that SOB Lou walk into the gym I went nuts. I got call for a technical before the game even started."

Maybe zero is or isn't the right number of fouls, but sounds like Lou wasn't going to let Seattle down.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
And to answer the question, no Seattle did not get through the game without a foul. From the Times:

"The Miners had one of their poorest shooting nights of the season percentage-wise. TWC hit on only 26 of 69 attempts from the floor for a 37.0 percentage and marked up a 66.7 free throw percentage."

Didn't notice the box score at the bottom. I saw 66% and figured 4-6 or something. 20-30. So Bilas was off by just a bit. And, 16 fouls for TWC, 21 for Seattle.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ar...seattle-wins-74-72-end-miner-string/81336724/

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT