ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel appreciation thread

MinerDave

All Star
Dec 20, 2001
I for one appreciate the job Dana Dimel has done this year. Yes there's suspect play calling and untimely penalties. But this team is much further along than any of us would have ever thought. He's doing a far better job than Price and Kugler ever did. He seems to be recruiting well and his players aren't getting in trouble. And for once we seem to have a decent defense.

Is this a great team? No but in past years with this schedule we would be 2-10 with 5 blowouts. I am optimistic on this team and I think our coach has been under appreciated by many on this board. Please let me know your thoughts.

Yes, I agree with you on this. This site is split 50/50 in their opinion of coach Dimel, but I am in the camp that supports him up to this point and would like to see him at UTEP for at least 2 more seasons. I would give him a 1 year extension during this offseason if I were AD. Whether all of the members on here realize it or not, our expectations of this football program have been elevated since Dimel has taken over. Many still love to bitch and moan but the fact that we are complaining in a sense that “we should have won” says more than it has in the past several years. Give the guy time, he has undoubtedly improved the program each year he has been here. And for those who claim it should be a faster turnaround, look at what Dimel inherited. The team Kugler left would not have been competitive in FCS much less FBS. Dimel has steadily bolstered the depth and talent here. I appreciate and am thankful for his time at UTEP thus far.

The 2017 Season was the lowest point in the History of UTEP Football. Couldn't stop anyone, couldn't score, got blown out nearly every game. Only 12 loss season. Coaching change mid-season. Ranked 130th out of 130. Dead last recruiting classes.

The only way to get out of that mess was a long slow build. And hiring Dimel was the move at the time. The only question mark that's hanging over his head, 'Is he a 7 win coach with a 9 win team?'

He got the minimum accomplished. I had a different set of expectations than the majority. This being his 4th year and the sos of 125/130 I expected at least 7 wins. Goal accomplished. Let's get #8.

FJ3nCFO.jpg

Reactions: axingfools1
Most predictions before the season were 5-7. A 6-6 season if we were really lucky. But think of the attitude of most fans now. 7 & 5 is a disappointment. Dimel has raised our expectations even though the team failed to achieve them. The main complaint is that we beat the bad teams but got beaten by the average ones and spanked by the good ones. We need to be patient and see how the Miners do in a bowl game, and how they do next season. The team better show obvious improvement. Eight or nine wins at least. If that happens, Dimel will deserve an extension, raise and or bonus'. We shall see. Go Miners.

At the end of the day, he’s increased his win total over the past two seasons. I really believe we win at least two more games last season if we play the full schedule and if the DBs played in the UNT game. Dimel has a good base for next season in returning talent, especially if we recruits well at the JUCO level this offseason. There’s only one hard loss on next season’s schedule, so I expect more wins and an improvement in special teams and penalties.

Reactions: picks up
Most predictions before the season were 5-7. A 6-6 season if we were really lucky. But think of the attitude of most fans now. 7 & 5 is a disappointment. Dimel has raised our expectations even though the team failed to achieve them. The main complaint is that we beat the bad teams but got beaten by the average ones and spanked by the good ones. We need to be patient and see how the Miners do in a bowl game, and how they do next season. The team better show obvious improvement. Eight or nine wins at least. If that happens, Dimel will deserve an extension, raise and or bonus'. We shall see. Go Miners.
Miner fans have mastered patience.

Here’s my problem with the “Dimel has raised expectations” thesis:

He’s been given an abundance of time, and has only improved against the backdrop of his own lowly start here.
Exactly. I've seen fans say it's better than 1-11 or 0-12 but the thing is that that's hasn't been the norm anymore. Maybe back in the 70s and 80s. For the better part of the last two decades the norm has been 4-8/5-7 with a few games that could have gone either way and changed our record to 6-6/7-5. We can all agree the quality of competition has been downgraded dramatically since Price coached here.

Here’s my problem with the “Dimel has raised expectations” thesis:

He’s been given an abundance of time, and has only improved against the backdrop of his own lowly start here.

What he took over is an important note. Worst team in the country. The situation warranted the abundance of time and then you factor the Covid season in which UTEP spent almost the entire season on the road.

Most UTEP fans bought the Tim Floyd 9 scholarship nonsense for 7 years and he took over a Tournament team.

What he took over is an important note. Worst team in the country. The situation warranted the abundance of time and then you factor the Covid season in which UTEP spent almost the entire season on the road.

Most UTEP fans bought the Tim Floyd 9 scholarship nonsense for 7 years and he took over a Tournament team.
So what grade would you give Dimel?

Terry Bowden took over the “worst team in the country” last year. He’s currently 4-7 and the lowest paid coach in country. He won 2 conference games and beat Liberty. Dimel didn’t win his 2nd conference game until year 3. Dimel hasn’t beaten a team as good as Liberty either, and Bowden did it in his FIRST season!

To deny that Dimel and staff have improved the football program is denying reality.

Next year we should expect UTEP to seriously challenge for the conference championship, win games against good teams, etc. If that doesn't happen then let him go. That should be our expectations going forward.

Dimel made good moves in his coaching changes last year except for the special teams coach. That needs to be changed this off season for sure.

Reactions: minerfan_14
To deny that Dimel and staff have improved the football program is denying reality.

Next year we should expect UTEP to seriously challenge for the conference championship, win games against good teams, etc. If that doesn't happen then let him go. That should be our expectations going forward.
Dimel will leave the program better than he found it. For that he deserves a lot of credit.

However, if UTEP wants to “take the next step”, someone else needs to come in.

Dimel finally has a win over a .500 team. ODU beats Charlotte to finish 6-6. If ODU loses their bowl game then Dimel is back to the drawing board.

ODU and UNT won 5 games to close out their seasons and got better. Did UTEP?
Nope but the majority have spoken and bringing logic and facts to the conversation is annoying. Let's be grateful we're not 2-10 even though both of us know this team could easily be playing for win #10. Let's not even mention that the last time ODU took the field they finished 1-11 but at UTEP everything takes 4x the amount of time.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
First off, when I see Dimel he always had a smile on his face. Smiles go miles. In dovetailing with that life has been good to him and with those blessings from heaven he has landed at our doorstop and I know he has given his all. Have fun at the bowl.

Reactions: MinerFan79
Nope but the majority have spoken and bringing logic and facts to the conversation is annoying. Let's be grateful we're not 2-10 even though both of us know this team could easily be playing for win #10. Let's not even mention that the last time ODU took the field they finished 1-11 but at UTEP everything takes 4x the amount of time.
You guys should get a room.

Dude, what happened to you? You were the biggest Dismel cheerleader here when we were 6-1. You were calling for him to be extended for like 3 or 4 years at the time.

What turned you?
My stance has been if Dimel reached 8 regular season wins he should get an extension. Didn't get there.

That's my same feeling too. If we finish 8-4 and win a bowl game then give the man a raise and 4 year extension. If we lose the bowl game then only 2 years.

I've seen enough smiles, lack of discipline, and dumb time outs to know this is the best we will ever see from Dimel. Grudgingly have to accept this what we're stuck with for at least another 4 years.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Here's my thoughts on Dimel. We have definitely improved. We beat six fbs teams this year. We beat 2 the previous four years combined. We are going to a bowl. That's a positive. Bowl games are definitely bigger for the athletic department than ncaa tourney appearances ever will be. I'm happy we got to a bowl.

Now the bad. We are plauged by the same undisciplined play we have seen for the past four years. This has not improved and its a huge concern. The late season collapse is concerning. Their performance against good teams is concerning. The goal should be to be consistent contenders for the conference title and yearly bowl appearances. The question is can Dimel get us there. I think we will know alot more next season. The schedule is tougher. If he can make an improvement next year then I'll be ready to commit to him long term.

What I think should happen is that Dimel should get a one year extension. He should get a pay raise his salary for next season and the year after should be one million. This will show the football world we are committed to football. I would guarantee his salary for next year. I would add a 500k buyout for the 2023 season. That's a manageable buyout and if things go bad next year we can move in another direction. I think next year is key I think we'll know definitively if Dimel can make us consistent contenders.

I think we can all be happy we got to a bowl. I'm happy we're going bowling and I can't wait to go. It's also ok the acknowledge we're not where we want to be yet. The only way to move this program forward is to be consistent contenders for a conference championship. That should be the standard and the goal every year. We'll know definitively next year if Dimel is the man to get us there.

Here's my thoughts on Dimel. We have definitely improved. We beat six fbs teams this year. We beat 2 the previous four years combined. We are going to a bowl. That's a positive. Bowl games are definitely bigger for the athletic department than ncaa tourney appearances ever will be. I'm happy we got to a bowl.

Now the bad. We are plauged by the same undisciplined play we have seen for the past four years. This has not improved and its a huge concern. The late season collapse is concerning. Their performance against good teams is concerning. The goal should be to be consistent contenders for the conference title and yearly bowl appearances. The question is can Dimel get us there. I think we will know alot more next season. The schedule is tougher. If he can make an improvement next year then I'll be ready to commit to him long term.

What I think should happen is that Dimel should get a one year extension. He should get a pay raise his salary for next season and the year after should be one million. This will show the football world we are committed to football. I would guarantee his salary for next year. I would add a 500k buyout for the 2023 season. That's a manageable buyout and if things go bad next year we can move in another direction. I think next year is key I think we'll know definitively if Dimel can make us consistent contenders.

I think we can all be happy we got to a bowl. I'm happy we're going bowling and I can't wait to go. It's also ok the acknowledge we're not where we want to be yet. The only way to move this program forward is to be consistent contenders for a conference championship. That should be the standard and the goal every year. We'll know definitively next year if Dimel is the man to get us there.
I was going to stop reading after the 7th sentence but I enjoy your comments so I reached the end. I agree that if Dimel reaches 8 wins in the regular season next year then he's the man. I'll leave it at that before I spew more negativity.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I was going to stop reading after the 7th sentence but I enjoy your comments so I reached the end. I agree that if Dimel reaches 8 wins in the regular season next year then he's the man. I'll leave it at that before I spew more negativity.
I get the negativity. In alot of ways the end of the season felt the Price era. The lack of discipline is inexcusable. There are two things that are true: 1. We made strides this year. 2. There is no way Senter was showing Dimel the door this year. We had a winning season now let's see if Dimel can take the next step. At this point in his career he's Kugler. That's not worthy of a long term extension. If we win the bowl game he'll have to win six games to surpass Kugler's five year total. If he can't do that it'll be time to show him the door.

Please explain. The school, and conference, receive money for both. The NCAA Tournament is definitely a much, much more significant accomplishment than making a minor bowl game. Being one of 68 Tournament teams (out of 353) brings slightly more recognition than being one of 84 (out of 130) bowl teams, and winning a Tornament game brings much more notoriety than winning a minor bowl game. By appearing in the Tournament you have a chance, no matter how small it may be, of winning a National Championship. Only four FBS teams will get a chance to play for that honor, and we will never be one of them. I am happy that we are going to a bowl game, but it is undeniably a lesser accomplishment than making the Tournament, and I am curious to find out how the bowl game is a bigger boon to the University.

Other than that I agree with your post.

Please explain. The school, and conference, receive money for both. The NCAA Tournament is definitely a much, much more significant accomplishment than making a minor bowl game. Being one of 68 Tournament teams (out of 353) brings slightly more recognition than being one of 84 (out of 130) bowl teams, and winning a Tornament game brings much more notoriety than winning a minor bowl game. By appearing in the Tournament you have a chance, no matter how small it may be, of winning a National Championship. Only four FBS teams will get a chance to play for that honor, and we will never be one of them. I am happy that we are going to a bowl game, but it is undeniably a lesser accomplishment than making the Tournament, and I am curious to find out how the bowl game is a bigger boon to the University.

Other than that I agree with your post.
Realignment is all about football. We got very lucky CUSA survived this round of realignment. We can't get left behind in another round of realignment. To make ourselves attractive and in good position we have to be good at football. If we ever want to get out of one bid league in hoops we have to be good at football. As a result bowl appearances are 100x more valuable for UTEP than NCAA tourney appearances.

Reactions: FedupMiner
From where this team was 4 years ago to where it is this season I can’t complain too much. The negatives have been covered on this board, but God willing this team could be even better next year.

Reactions: MinerFan79
I keep reading a couple of posts that UTEP had a late season collapse. Really? A collapse? I thought at the beginning of the season, we ALL knew that we had a much tougher end of the year schedule than beginning. I disagree with the word collapse. I think the correct verbiage would be reality. UTEP had a better than expected beginning of the season and hit reality at the end of the season. I’m still all In on Dimel. He has done an amazing job with what he was given. Was he a flashy hire? No. But he was the right hire. He is a program builder. Now is he the guy to take the program to a conference championship? I’m still on the fence. But what I do know is that he definitely has turned the ship and if it doesn’t work out with him, finding the next head coach shouldn’t be as hard as the last time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT