ADVERTISEMENT

Dimel Doubles Down on Decision to go for it on Third and Fourth Down

I'd rather use up some of the minute and a half remaining on the clock than score quickly and give JSU enough time to respond.

Reactions: jdubb66
I'd rather use up some of the minute and a half remaining on the clock than score quickly and give JSU enough time to respond.
Ideally yes, this is what you want to do. But if there is an opportunity to score you take it. It's better to get the score and have to rely on your defense, than to pass up a scoring opportunity in order to milk the clock, and ultimately failing to score. This, however, doesn't apply here. While the fade was almost successful (and Dimel would receive praise if it had worked), it was still a low probability of success play (I personally cringe every time a team of mine calls for one), and 4th down play was obviously a complete disaster.

Another issue that could have become important, but wasn't because of the interception, was the fact that even if we had converted that forth down we wouldn't have had any timeouts left. Given our inexperienced kicker and Dimel's horrible time management, that could have proven fatal even if we had converted that 4th and 1.

The 1st wasn’t guaranteed if we ran it twice. Neither was a fg or td. Good call imo for finally growing balls.

Like mentioned previously, whats irritating is that a 2nd year HC with an FCs squad is already level with what dimel has done the last 6 years.

That’s part of the problem with Dimel. His stubbornness in calling his own plays will continue to cost this team wins. This was a very winnable game that was plagued with terrible play calling and lack of game time adjustments.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Still don’t agree with it, never will agree with it, and if you’re trying to protect your kicker then we’re in deep trouble because that’s someone who has to step up with confidence.

The 1st wasn’t guaranteed if we ran it twice. Neither was a fg or td. Good call imo for finally growing balls.

Like mentioned previously, whats irritating is that a 2nd year HC with an FCs squad is already level with what dimel has done the last 6 years.
I’d have to see the offense execute those throws and catches multiple times in practice to come even close to agreeing with you.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I’d have to see the offense execute those throws and catches multiple times in practice to come even close to agreeing with you.
I’m with you. That was such a low percentage play…especially for Hardison and (name the receiver).

It was said that getting the first down wasn’t a guarantee. Correct, it wasn’t a guarantee however the chances of getting the first down using two running plays would have been FAR greater…even with the defense knowing the run was coming.

Dimel is one of the most conservative coaches around and in the one situation where that would’ve been preferable, he goes ultra risky.

Beyond the play calling, his flippancy about his play calling is pissing me off. That dude is a fvckn joke!!

I’m with you. That was such a low percentage play…especially for Hardison and (name the receiver).

It was said that getting the first down wasn’t a guarantee. Correct, it wasn’t a guarantee however the chances of getting the first down using two running plays would have been FAR greater…even with the defense knowing the run was coming.

Dimel is one of the most conservative coaches around and in the one situation where that would’ve been preferable, he goes ultra risky.

Beyond the play calling, his flippancy about his play calling is pissing me off. That dude is a fvckn joke!!
I think his smiley demeanor hides a stubborn, overly self confident man who has retirement beat.

I think his smiley demeanor hides a stubborn, overly self confident man who has retirement beat.
Not sure what in the world would feed his psyche so much that he would be an overly self confident man. He has the distinction of being one of the losingest FBS coaches of all time, percentage wise. Are sure you didn’t mean to say something along the lines of his smiley demeanor hides a stubborn, inadequate, under confident man?

Maybe you’re right, though.

Not sure what in the world would feed his psyche so much that he would be an overly self confident man. He has the distinction of being one of the losingest FBS coaches of all time, percentage wise. Are sure you didn’t mean to say something along the lines of his smiley demeanor hides a stubborn, inadequate, under confident man?

Ego

How many times are you going to mention that ?

He's still living in the shadow/success of Kansas State. It's very obvious, with the way he talks.

He's still living in the shadow/success of Kansas State. It's very obvious, with the way he talks.
Oh God yes. However, K State was just as bad at UTEP back then, believe it or not.

In all fairness, and once again happening this weekend as the '88 team enters the HOF, Stull launched his career solely after his career at UTEP.

This is like creating sustainable farming to fight hunger in parts of Africa.

I’ll give him his props for taking over an absolute dumpster fire of a program and getting it to a bowl game. He’s upgraded the talent and we’ve got a great defense which we rarely if ever have. I feel like he’s more suited for the role of a recruiting coordinator because he obviously can scout the JUCO ranks. But he has shown what his limit is.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I’ll give him his props for taking over an absolute dumpster fire of a program and getting it to a bowl game. He’s upgraded the talent and we’ve got a great defense which we rarely if ever have. I feel like he’s more suited for the role of a recruiting coordinator because he obviously can scout the JUCO ranks. But he has shown what his limit is.
Just let somebody else call the plays. There's room for improvement if he just does that.

Sometimes I feel Dimel is a "fake" coach...
Don't you know Dimel was installed by Joe Biden (while vice president) to ruin UTEP football (even more:rolleyes:)? It's a false flag operation. But don't fear Rudy Ghouliani and Steve (genetically superior😭) Bannon for saw all this and will storm the UTEP Admin Building (with El Quaranta Cinco's blessing, of course). Forcing them to install JFK Jr. as the new coach.

That is the only success he has enjoyed as a coach. At the end of his tenure at KState the fans were demanding he be replaced as the OC. The guy is a legend only in his mind.
Didn't he have 3 winning seasons at Wyoming before taking the Houston job? Not defending him, just saying your statement might not actually be completely accurate.
That is the only success he has enjoyed as a coach. At the end of his tenure at KState the fans were demanding he be replaced as the OC. The guy is a legend only in his mind.

Just let somebody else call the plays. There's room for improvement if he just does that.
I agree. But that would require Senter to step up and put his foot down. And I remember when Senter got the job there was a story going around that when he was at Citadel the fans were complaining they needed to open the offense and Senter stepped in and dictated these wishes to the coaches. Why can’t he do it here?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
"... and the UTEP head coach should be fired tonight."

He wasn't wrong.
I was literally yelling No. 4 is open No. 4 is open SMH this just reminded me of how bad that series was SMH, Thanks Dimel we should be 2-0 with a chance to go 3-0 this week!

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT