ADVERTISEMENT

East Central

Some thoughts on tonight's game:

The only one who can stop Bryson Williams is Bryson Williams. Yeah, I know that this was East Central, but we've also seen him dominate much better competition as well - at least when he's on the floor. If he can fix his Achilles heal of foul trouble he will be unstoppable.

Williams was awesome, Edwards was fine. Other than that our starters played poorly tonight.

After Williams the best players tonight were Tarke and Hawkins. Tarke finally seems to be adjusting to being back on the floor and to this team. In my opinion he's earned minutes against NMSU. Hawkins might just be our best playmaker in transition. He made the right play on the break frequently tonight.

Back to Hawkins. I've read a lot this season as to how he's been a disappointment at UTEP. Sone here must view things a lot differently than I do. I personally don't expect a freshman to come in and be a superstar. I look for that spark that tells me that this guy has the tools to be a good player some day, all the while expecting that often he will play like, well, a freshman.

I saw that spark last year. In the fact that he led the team in scoring during conference games at almost 14 ppg, and in the fact that he had several really good individual performances. Of course, he often looked like a freshman as well. In my mind, he and Lathon had similar freshman seasons, though Lathon was a little more consistent and more clutch. Hawkins didn't start out great this year, but I hope this game is a springboard to better things from him in his sophomore season.

If Boum going to bust out offensively, I hope that he does it real soon. His shooting these last few games has been hard to watch.

I've seen it hypothesized on here that Archie was nervous. I've seen it hypothesized that he is rusty. Yes. It will be a little too scary to let him work out his nerves/rust issues against NMSU, but I hope that he sees a lot of time against Pine Bluff and NC A&T.

I think that the worst thing to happen to Stroud may have been hitting consecutive 3 pointers against Eastern NM. It gave him, and us, hope that he had an outside shot. Except for those two 3 pointers, however, he has looked miserable beyond the arc. I do like the way he looks attacking the basket, however.

Efe has the size, strength, and skill to dominate against East Central. Unfortunately, like in the Eastern NM game, he was pressing too much, leading to a disappointing game. When he let's the game come to him and doesn't force things he is a really good player.

We have seen some really good things so far this year from each of our top 11 players. We've seen some disappointing things from each of them as well. If we can get them to play more consistently we will be in the conference title hunt. Continued inconsistency will lead to us losing some games that we should win.
Great analysis Maniac. A few additional thoughts:

On Hawkins, it was great to see him look more like the player we saw last year. The thing that stood out to me is that Terry had him running the point for much of the time this game. We hadn't seen him in that role much, if at all, during his brief time here. He looked pretty solid in sharing the ball, limiting turnovers, and running the offense. He was also efficient shooting this game. On the flip side, combined Lathon and Boum were 1-15 from the floor. Overall, the team shot 25% from three point range. That needs to improve. That number will be tough to overcome versus good teams, and especially on the road. Simply put, we need to make more shots.

On Archie, I thought he showed some good things at times. Terry had him guarding East Central's quick point guard, and in general, he did ok staying in front of his man. Offensively, it looks like his game should be mainly attacking the basket at this point. Perhaps he is a better shooter than he showed last night. His length and position flexibility will be valuable, and are traits that Terry obviously looks for.

Seeing how the team performs on the road is the next phase in the process. As we know, playing on the road is a whole different animal. I'm looking forward to see how the team plays up in Cruces next week. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I say this with seriousness only because Teich and Yellen raise it up time to time on the radio (and UTEP is just six games in), fans and even Kap mentioned it in an article but there is an official who seems to have a real beef with UTEP and it's not getting better. UTEP needs to address this issue pronto and diplomatically and get to the bottom of it.

Boum tries to hard at times. He just needs to let the game come to him. For example, Lathon has Bern better not forcing things. If it's there, he takes the opportunity; if not, he dishes out.

Williams has a bullseye on his back: He's big, strong as heck and dominates inside. Downside, refs blow the whistle because of it.

Edwards is Mana from Heaven. There will be conference games that he will help UTEP survive; he has ice in his veins.
I totally agree with on the bias shown by the official. I noticed he constantly makes calls against UTEP. UTEP coaches need to address this issue before it ends up costing us a game.

Hawkins is a rare talent a rebounding guard. He also is a good inside player for his size. This team has so much outside I hope we have enough min to keep them happy. Don't think some on this team took Central serious and if this is the case, this could cost us down the road.

I totally agree with on the bias shown by the official. I noticed he constantly makes calls against UTEP. UTEP coaches need to address this issue before it ends up costing us a game.

Which ref is he? What’s he look like?

Seeing how the team performs on the road is the next phase in the process. As we know, playing on the road is a whole different animal. I'm looking forward to see how the team plays up in Cruces next week. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
If we can split between NMSU and Houston, I'll be happy.

Hawkins is a rare talent a rebounding guard. He also is a good inside player for his size. This team has so much outside I hope we have enough min to keep them happy. Don't think some on this team took Central serious and if this is the case, this could cost us down the road.

Honestly I don’t think anyone took this game too serious did you see the coaching staff rolling out all the different lineups ?

Jordan Lathon?????
I touched on it earlier and none of you have mentioned it. Do you realize he only played like 10 or 12 minutes, scored ZERO points and Terry yanked him from the floor. Hope I'm wrong, but it sure looks like there's a problem. This is the floor general, clutch crunch time shooter, etc and last night he was invisible.
This is very concerning to me. Any thoughts from peanut gallery?

Jordan Lathon?????
I touched on it earlier and none of you have mentioned it. Do you realize he only played like 10 or 12 minutes, scored ZERO points and Terry yanked him from the floor. Hope I'm wrong, but it sure looks like there's a problem. This is the floor general, clutch crunch time shooter, etc and last night he was invisible.
CRT mentioned in last night's post-game that some players weren't ready to play and that they weren't doing what they practiced. Maybe he was referring to Lathon?

Jordan Lathon?????

Omg you guys are overreacting. You not gonna play best players against e central. I thought you guys new better. This is what happens when they play teams like this. You dont play your best players. Wow you guys.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
Omg you guys are overreacting. You not gonna play best players against e central. I thought you guys new better. This is what happens when they play teams like this. You dont play your best players. Wow you guys.
You completely missed the point.

Williams - Hard to not grade him out with anything other than an A+, regardless of competition. Hit 15 of his 17 shots, not all were easy shots. Hit his freebies. Had 11 boards and ONLY 1 turnover.

Edwards - As quiet as he was, gotta give him an A. Hit 3 of 5 from deep. Only had one drive. Very much let the game come to him. Could’ve taken over at any moment, it seemed. Almost like he purposely took a back seat last night. He is our next most important player next to BW, imo. Solid defense last night.

Hawkins - Played great at the point. ZERO turnovers, EIGHT assists and shot 50% from the field. Really liked how he pushed the ball up the floor at a pace we haven’t seen this year. I’ve been hard on this kid for his high volume low shooting percentage last year, but if he can improve in that regard, I will gladly eat crow.

Tarke - Similarly to Hawk, and for the same reasons as Hawkins, I’ve been slow to acknowledge how good this kid might be. At a time where we looked absolutely lost, Tarke wanted the ball and made some explosive moves to the rim. Still not quite there, but he showed why he was an all conference type player. Shot high percentage and had 8 boards and only 1 turnover. B+.

Verhoeven - Gets the next highest grade, imo. He’s not going to be a double figure scorer but he makes his shots count. He’s shooting near 85% on the season, on limited attempts. He alters shots non stop. Gave a solid 11 minutes last night. We will need to count on him more than a time or two this year.

Archie - Maybe a B-. Hard to judge on a single game. Has potential. As lil_train said, going to the rim should be where he contributes offensively. He’s built like an NFL safety so he should put up a good fight for the ball in the lanes. Has an explosive first couple steps. Showed good body control on two drives in particular. Pretty good defense. Not bad for a first outing.

Stroud - Also gets a B-. Definitely should not be shooting the 3. Going to the hole and drawing fouls with his athleticism should be his game. Went o fer 3 from range. Missed badly twice. Wasn’t bad aside from that, just didn’t do much to stick out either. Decent defense last night.

Efe - B minus minus in my opinion. This kid needs to start finishing some of the gimmies. His free throw percentage has climbed from last year but damn if he doesn’t miss some bunnies for the 3 point play the old fashioned way. Limited minutes but only had one rebound. Defense was, meh. Played without intensity. Just flat. Wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either.

Vila, Lathon and Boum - All graded about the same, imo. I’d go D for all three. It’s just one game but Vila and Boum have been shooting so poorly. Where is Boum’s stop and pop that we saw early? He is forcing damn near everything. Vila’s overall shooting percentage is worse than his 3 point percentage, which ain’t that good now. Kid missed two easy short jumpers and his only 3 attempt. Both needed on the defensive end but damn, make some shots boys. Lathon just had an off night. He hasn’t been nearly as abysmal but his shooting percentage is falling, especially from 3. Hope they figure it out cuz we ain’t going anywhere without these 3.

Just my two cents worth. I realize there is far more to each of their games and that it’s just partial perspective. I tried not to repeat too much of what others have already said.

Last edited:

Bryson Williams played 25 minutes, the second most behind Hawkins. If only you “new” what you think you “now”.

Williams - Hard to not grade him out with anything other than an A+, regardless of competition. Hit 15 of his 17 shots, not all were easy shots. Hit his freebies. Had 11 boards and ONLY 1 turnover.

Edwards - As quiet as he was, gotta give him an A. Hit 3 of 5 from deep. Only had one drive. Very much let the game come to him. Could’ve taken over at any moment, it seemed. Almost like he purposely took a back seat last night. He is our next most important player next to BW, imo. Solid defense last night.

Hawkins - Played great at the point. ZERO turnovers, EIGHT assists and shot 50% from the field. Really liked how he pushed the ball up the floor at a pace we haven’t seen this year. I’ve been hard on this kid for his high volume low shooting percentage last year, but if he can improve in that regard, I will gladly eat crow.

Tarke - Similarly to Hawk, and for the same reasons as Hawkins, I’ve been slow to acknowledge how good this kid might be. At a tere we looked absolutely lost, Tarke wanted the ball and made some explosive moves to the rim. Still not quite there, but he showed why he was an all conference type player. Shot high percentage and had 8 boards and only 1 turnover. B+.

Verhoeven - Gets the next highest grade, imo. He’s not going to be a double figure scorer but he makes his shots count. He’s shooting near 85% on the season, on limited attempts. He alters shots non stop. Gave a solid 11 minutes last night. We will need to count on him more than a time or two this year.

Archie - Maybe a B-. Hard to judge on a single game. Has potential. As lil_train said, going to the rim should be where he contributes offensively. He’s built like a safety so he should put up a good fight for the ball in the lanes. Has an explosive first couple steps. Showed good body control on two drives in particular. Pretty good defense. Not bad for a first outing.

Stroud - Also gets a B-. Definitely should not be shooting the 3. Going to the hole and drawing fouls with his athleticism should be his game. Went o fer 3 from range. Missed badly twice. Wasn’t bad aside from that, just didn’t do much to stick out either. Decent defense last night.

Efe - B minus minus in my opinion. This kid needs to start finishing some of the gimmies. His free throw percentage has climbed from last year but damn if he doesn’t miss some bunnies for the 3 point play the old fashioned way. Limited minutes but only had one rebound. Defense was, meh. Played without intensity. Just flat. Wasn’t bad but wasn’t good either.

Vila, Lathon and Boum - All graded about the same, imo. I’d go D for all three. It’s just one game but Vila and Boum have been shooting so poorly. Where is Boum’s stop and pop that we saw early? He is forcing damn near everything. Vila’s overall shooting percentage is worse than his 3 point percentage, which ain’t that good now. Kid missed two easy short jumpers and his only 3 attempt. Both needed on the defensive end but damn, make some shots boys. Lathon just had an off night. He hasn’t been nearly as abysmal but his shooting percentage is falling, especially from 3. Hope they figure it out cuz we ain’t going anywhere without these 3.

Just my two cents worth. Tried not to repeat too much of what others have already said.
Outstanding FanatiCoog.

Just to add a little more perspective on our three point shooting, without Edwards, the rest of the team was 2 - 15 combined. A lot of those shots were good looks. The team has good potential, but for me, the bar is set high for this team. I agree with USAF on where the team is at right now.

Tarke - Similarly to Hawk, and for the same reasons as Hawkins, I’ve been slow to acknowledge how good this kid might be. At a time where we looked absolutely lost, Tarke wanted the ball and made some explosive moves to the rim. Still not quite there, but he showed why he was an all conference type player. Shot high percentage and had 8 boards and only 1 turnover. B+.

Archie - Maybe a B-. Hard to judge on a single game. Has potential. As lil_train said, going to the rim should be where he contributes offensively. He’s built like an NFL safety so he should put up a good fight for the ball in the lanes. Has an explosive first couple steps. Showed good body control on two drives in particular. Pretty good defense. Not bad for a first outing.

Just my two cents worth. I realize there is far more to each of their games and that it’s just partial perspective. I tried not to repeat too much of what others have already said.

I would hesitate to grade anyone too highly because this was East Central.

On the opposite end, I'd grade Boum, Lathon, and Odigie even lower because, well, this was East Central.

I would hesitate to grade anyone too highly because this was East Central.

On the opposite end, I'd grade Boum, Lathon, and Odigie even lower because, well, this was East Central.

Fair enough. Just a grade for last night. You can only play who’s in front of you.

I can definitely understand grading lower with those guys, however Boum, Vila and Lathon were missing WIDE open shots. Didn’t even matter who it was against. It’s like they’re playing against themselves right now. Efe, maybe I did give him too high of a grade now that you mention it.

Just to clarify further, the defense of Boum and Lathon keep them from getting Fs, imo.

Last edited:
Jordan Lathon?????
I'm not worried at all. Lathon will be fine. I think he needs big moments to shine and needs to learn how to carry that over.

Bryson Williams played 25 minutes, the second most behind Hawkins. If only you “new” what you think you “now”.

Maybe terry played him so Bryson can work on some stuff.

Idk how some can critique a player in game like this. Its pointless. This game is just another practice for Terry. Not going to show is full hand now for NMSU and Houston to study.

Reactions: groundrounds
On his 1st breakaway I thought Hawkins should have given up the ball to Archie for a dunk. I thought this as it was happening. Hawkins looked so tired on that attempt! Who knows it could have helped Archie calm down a little too. I'm glad they are both getting up to speed and had a few more opportunities. It will only make this team stronger.

We have six guards now and 2 more coming in next year with only 1 leaving....so far. I expect McGriff to redshirt and Kennedy to play, so whoever wants it is gonna have to show more and be consistent because CRT is not messing around.

Boum is shooting the 3 at half the clip he did as a freshman, 18.2% compared to 36.2% at San Fran. This is why I think he’ll come around. He didn’t forget how to shoot.

Vila on the other hand, we’re probably looking at all he’s got. I think his 33% from 3 is good enough but he is a career low 30 something percent shooter from inside 3. Not good. He should probably shoot less and use those passing skills more.

On his 1st breakaway I thought Hawkins should have given up the ball to Archie for a dunk. I thought this as it was happening. Hawkins looked so tired on that attempt! Who knows it could have helped Archie calm down a little too. I'm glad they are both getting up to speed and had a few more opportunities. It will only make this team stronger.

We have six guards now and 2 more coming in next year with only 1 leaving....so far. I expect McGriff to redshirt and Kennedy to play, so whoever wants it is gonna have to show more and be consistent because CRT is not messing around.

All I know is we are gonna miss Edwards. Hopefully Kennedy is as sharp of a shooter. We will need it.

:)
Maybe terry played him so Bryson can work on some stuff.

Idk how some can critique a player in game like this. Its pointless. This game is just another practice for Terry. Not going to show is full hand now for NMSU and Houston to study.

Lol! Says the guy who will talk about the most random stuff.

I think almost everybody prefaced their posts with “Regardless of the competition....yada yada yada”, or something to that effect.

It’s just something to talk about when we run out of things to say about koalas and richest neighborhoods in EP, ya know?;)

Anyway, hope everyone has a nice TG. Be safe out there.

Last edited:
All I know is we are gonna miss Edwards. Hopefully Kennedy is as sharp of a shooter. We will need it.
Edwards was a huge late pickup by Terry. Without him next year, I wouldn't be surprised if Terry goes in the same direction (grad transfer) next year if the right guy comes available. Of course, we are full right now on allocated scholarships, but that could change. Even if Boum finds the range later this season, we need at least one more dependable shooter. Not sure if Kennedy can fill that role.

Boum is shooting the 3 at half the clip he did as a freshman, 18.2% compared to 36.2% at San Fran. This is why I think he’ll come around. He didn’t forget how to shoot.

Vila on the other hand, we’re probably looking at all he’s got. I think his 33% from 3 is good enough but he is a career low 30 something percent shooter from inside 3. Not good. He should probably shoot less and use those passing skills more.
I think Vila will pick up his outside shot....hopefully. Pretty much everybody looked tentative and were pressing their shots last night except Hawkins and Edwards. There were some bricks out there for sure!

Verhoeven looks horrible at the line. It almost seems like he is a right hander forced to use his left ;)

I think Vila will pick up his outside shot....hopefully. Pretty much everybody looked tentative and were pressing their shots last night except Hawkins and Edwards. There were some bricks out there for sure!

Verhoeven looks horrible at the line. It almost seems like he is a right hander forced to use his left ;)
On Vila, I think if he can maintain his ~35% three point shooting for the year, that would be outstanding. There were several games I saw last year when he was at JC that were really rough from long range. It would be nice if he was a little stronger inside, but that just isn't his game. It will be interesting how opposing coaches start to game plan against specific player strengths and weaknesses now that there is plenty of tape on the new guys. I'm sure Jans will have some adjustments. Of course, that is a two way street.

It is acceptable if Terry puts in players who don't get a lot of minutes for a significant look. That's the main reason for scheduling D2 schools. We only won by 20 points. When has that been said of UTEP in the past 10 years? Even against D2 schools. Face it, we're not used to having a good team lately. Let's see how they do on the road. We'll soon see if we have a merely good team or a real solid GOOD team. Go Miners

Who is the transfer from Xavier who is sitting out this year and any chance he’s a PG?
ESPN Analyst
Updated 01/21/2018

Strengths:
Kennedy is a willowy shooting guard prospect with an advanced feel for the game. He has long arms and a frame that oozes upside. He plays at a great pace and always appears to make the right basketball play. He has a smooth jump shot that extends to 17-feet and his shot selection is excellent. In addition, he shows his savvy for the game due to his passing acumen (advances the ball well in transition).

Weaknesses:
Kennedy needs to get stronger and that should come as he matures. He needs to work on his triple threat game (1st step, jab step, etc.) in the half court set. In addition, he needs to improve the consistency in his 3-point shot to open up his developing drive/pull-up game. Defensively, he needs to bend his knees and improve his ability to slide his feet to become a lock-down defender.

Bottom Line:
Kennedy is a potential diamond in the rough due to his length, budding skills, and athleticism.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT