ADVERTISEMENT

Evan Gilyard

Dec 22, 2016
Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself real quick and also drop a nugget from my time spent in Memphis this past weekend.
Rivals has brought me on as a national analyst at Rivals and am very excited about bringing the most coverage possible to you all. Please do not he afraid to ask any of your questions.

This past weekend in Memphis, your lead guard signee, Evan Gilyard, was phenomenal. We profiled him following the event and seeing that Dominic Artis will be graduating this spring, I could definitely see Gilyard becoming a four year starter. He got to the foul line 20 times and 32 points in doing so. While his signing wasn't met with a ton of coverage, you all should be very excited about what he can become for the next few years.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/penny-hardaway-hoopfest-barrett-takes-the-next-step

Just wanted to stop in and introduce myself real quick and also drop a nugget from my time spent in Memphis this past weekend.
Rivals has brought me on as a national analyst at Rivals and am very excited about bringing the most coverage possible to you all. Please do not he afraid to ask any of your questions.

This past weekend in Memphis, your lead guard signee, Evan Gilyard, was phenomenal. We profiled him following the event and seeing that Dominic Artis will be graduating this spring, I could definitely see Gilyard becoming a four year starter. He got to the foul line 20 times and 32 points in doing so. While his signing wasn't met with a ton of coverage, you all should be very excited about what he can become for the next few years.
https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/penny-hardaway-hoopfest-barrett-takes-the-next-step

Four year starter?

It's been a long year for us Miner fans Corey, but I for one, appreciate the tidbit on Gilyard. It sounds like he is a guy who can step in right away and run the team next year, which is asking a lot of a true freshman. I have been a proponent of signing a experienced JC PG in the late signing period, but if Gilyard plays up to his clippings, that may not be needed. Like you mentioned in the article, that position is wide open for next year. I do have a few questions:

-You mentioned Gilyard got to the line 20 times during the game you saw. Was this a result of his aggressiveness to the basket vs. being fouled intentionally at the end of the game? At his height, is he a guy who can finish at the rim?

-Are you familiar with any of the other early UTEP signees? Are there any other guys that UTEP may be linked to late that you are aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your post. Nice news to hear. My concern along with probably everyone here is what will the status of UTEP basketball be next season. Will Floyd still be here? If not; who will be? Will Gilyard's final decision depend on who our coach will be? Same question about other signees. If we go 2-28, will anyone want to come here?

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I do understand your hesitancy. If a coaching change does take place, it would be very important to keep Gilyard in tow for the next few years.

I would probably list him at 5-foot-9. He isn't the biggest of guys around but he is tough and aggressive. Going back to the foul line question, he had gotten to the foul line 10 times in the first half and 10 more in the second; he is aggressive but not overly. He knows how to score through contact despite his lacking size but is more than capable of a scorer from 15-feet and out and also a playmaker.
I do like the 2017 class for UTEP with Gilyard, Smith, Brewer, and Magee. All four could contribute immediately next year but do have to say, after watching Gilyard this weekend, it will be difficult to keep him out of the lineup if he does what he did on a consistent basis next winter.

We don't get much true recruiting information out here Corey, so your insights are very much appreciated. One quick comment, my understanding is that although Brewer is still committed, he has not officially signed. What are your impressions of his game? I know his brother is also a high level recruit next year, so that could be a an additional bonus.

Hopefully I can change that. With Brewer, I have a good liking of him. He has a college ready body and someone that can guard both forward spots on the floor. He does need to better his skillset as he is probably more of a 4-3 at the time being but he sure is not one to shy away from contact and is a good finisher and athlete at the basket.

Corey,

Thanks for the update. I've been following him online and really like this recruit. Obviously UTEP fans are plenty disgusted with Floyd and legitimately so because the good ones seemed to have slipped away from Floyd, even after they signed their LOI. Floyd calls it "attrition", fans see it as total underachieving on Floyd and his staff's part; for me, it's both. However, we lost our best player for a disagreement he had with Floyd and now the fans are wanting him gone asap.

The AD is holding steady saying Floyd is going no where and the president of UTEP is tight lipped on Floyd's status. Floyd stated prior to the season starting that he still has some gas left in the tank and will continue to coach. So, I think it's a safe bet Gilyard will have Floyd as coach next year.

So with that being said, and with Floyd probably coming back, he will for sure be in the mix with Omega Harris and Deon Barrett. He reminds me of Omega Harris but not quiet as athletic, but Gilyard does show more poise for his youth which comes instinctively.

Thanks again.

It's what you make of your opportunity as a young person when the door is opened to you. I hope to see him in a miner uniform because he has a ton of potential and the last true pg to come to UTEP out of Chicago became a Miner and NBA legend.

Reactions: Jimmy the Miner
"If" he actually comes here, he will replace Artis. Ok cool.....but what about the rest of our s^&* team? Artis is a pretty good PG in his own right. Nice we can replace ONE player.

#firefloyd

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT