ADVERTISEMENT

First Time all 4 Teams Playing in Sun Bowl Invitational Has Losing Records?

El Paso 777

MI Regular
Oct 15, 2017
My guess is this is the first time this has happened and is probably the worst lineup in its history.

UTEP- 4-6
UNC Wilmington- 2-7
North Dakota State- 5-6
Howard- 2-11

Time to kill this thing. Heard 2 of the guys on the radio last night. Excuse after excuse. Talked about why they get the teams they get. Talked about how UNCWs coach worked under Roy Williams for 20 years. Blah, blah, blah.

And they have 1 team signed for next year and would only say its a MEAC team. Like its top secret or something. Sad.

Time to kill this thing. Heard 2 of the guys on the radio last night. Excuse after excuse. Talked about why they get the teams they get. Talked about how UNCWs coach worked under Roy Williams for 20 years. Blah, blah, blah.

And they have 1 team signed for next year and would only say its a MEAC team. Like its top secret or something. Sad.

[Facepalm] ugh.

It is part of the holiday college that leads up to the Sun Bowl. Another thing, UNCW had a great season and no one can predict the future for fall 2017. Second, UTEP will not be bringing in a Maryland or Purdue, much less a Nevada or Fresno State. They don't want to take a loss against UTEP especially at UTEP.

However, for the rest in this current field the tourney provides opportunity. They are the Illinois State's of mid major bball. The big boys will not invite them to their house most often (once every few years at best). The "cultural" holiday tourneys don't want them because they're too small for (TV) branding and because they are in conference's with so-so RPI ratings at best A tournament at UTEP is the best opportunity to win back to back and steal a win against UTEP AT UTEP. Selections committees give some weight for a win at UTEP (wether you want to accept it or not) and a NDSU or UNCW need all the help they can get for OOC match up's.

[Facepalm] Second, UTEP will not be bringing in a Maryland or Purdue, much less a Nevada or Fresno State. They don't want to take a loss against UTEP especially at UTEP.

Those types of teams have played in the tournament previously. This tournament has gone downhill.

Last edited:
The tourney has no brand name punch.
From their mouths to public domain sunshine. MR.com has even done a write up on it last year. I'm not giving you the sourcing you mentally lazy dullard.

UNCW was in NCAA the last two years.

Those types of teams have played in the tournament previously This tournament has gone downhill.

Yes. This argument has been around for over ten years. As much as I started to question the ATh. Dept. over the years, this is a viable win win for UTEP. But it may come to an end if holiday tourney fields get tighter.

Those types of teams have played in the tournament previously This tournament has gone downhill.
Who would predict that NDSU AND UNCW would BOTH be bad this season after they finished 19-11 and 29-6 last season, respectively? Last time NDSU played in the Sun Bowl Tourney in 2014, they made the NCAA Tournament.

Usually at least one of the teams in this tournament ends up being good. If they strike out next year, too, then it's a trend; but for now, it's just an unlucky year.

Who would predict that NDSU AND UNCW would BOTH be bad this season after they finished 19-11 and 29-6 last season, respectively? Last time NDSU played in the Sun Bowl Tourney in 2014, they made the NCAA Tournament.

Usually at least one of the teams in this tournament ends up being good. If they strike out next year, too, then it's a trend; but for now, it's just an unlucky year.

The tournament used to bring in good teams from major conferences. The tournament has been bad for awhile.

The tournament used to bring in good teams from major conferences. The tournament has been bad for awhile.
That's true. But the tournament has reinvented itself and HAS been able to bring in top mid-majors. And usually at least one of the teams in the tournament has been solid. I never would have guessed that UNCW would drop off so much from last season.

Let's see how things turn out next season before we pull the plug. One bad year is a fluke, two bad years in a row is the start of a trend.

Reactions: El Paso 777
That's true. But the tournament has reinvented itself and HAS been able to bring in top mid-majors. And usually at least one of the teams in the tournament has been solid. I never would have guessed that UNCW would drop off so much from last season.

Let's see how things turn out next season before we pull the plug. One bad year is a fluke, two bad years in a row is the start of a trend.

I agree, but bringing in mid-major teams won't put butts in the seats.

The Sun Bowl puts butts in the seats because good teams play here every year. Unfortunately their basketball tournament doesn't do that anymore.

Reactions: WordMiner
[Facepalm] ugh.

It is part of the holiday college that leads up to the Sun Bowl. Another thing, UNCW had a great season and no one can predict the future for fall 2017. Second, UTEP will not be bringing in a Maryland or Purdue, much less a Nevada or Fresno State. They don't want to take a loss against UTEP especially at UTEP.

However, for the rest in this current field the tourney provides opportunity. They are the Illinois State's of mid major bball. The big boys will not invite them to their house most often (once every few years at best). The "cultural" holiday tourneys don't want them because they're too small for (TV) branding and because they are in conference's with so-so RPI ratings at best A tournament at UTEP is the best opportunity to win back to back and steal a win against UTEP AT UTEP. Selections committees give some weight for a win at UTEP (wether you want to accept it or not) and a NDSU or UNCW need all the help they can get for OOC match up's.

Ridiculous. If the Sun Bowl is incapable of bringing in MWC teams, what are we doing here? I bet San Jose would come every year.

Yeah, they had some bad luck with UNCW and NDSU being bad this year, but those teams aren't bringing in extra fans regardless.

A win at UTEP means nothing and holds no weight with the selection committee. Are you on drugs? Countless awful teams have come in here and beat UTEP. Nobody is afraid or playing here or losing here.

SFA played 3 SEC teams on the road this season. SFA has had a lot more success than UTEP lately, but why aren't teams afraid of scheduling them? They don't want to lose to UTEP, but willing to play SFA? Makes no sense.

The 80s and 90s are gone. Literally, no one outside of EP or UTEP fans talk about UTEP. We are an afterthought.

UTEP basketball is way down, but a resurgence would be enhanced by our history.

One team at a time. UNCW was a good addition to tourney IMO but for the "here and now" folks you just explain the math to them.

That's not entirely correct. Most good basketball players were scared to come here.

There are only two coaches on public record who said they will not play UTEP (again) as long as they were HC's was Alford (at UNM) and Thompson at Georgetown.

Never heard of any college player who was scared to play UTEP?

There are only two coaches on public record who said they will not play UTEP (again) as long as they were HC's was Alford (at UNM) and Thompson at Georgetown.

Never heard of any college player who was scared to play UTEP?

Your words: "Second, UTEP will not be bringing in a Maryland or Purdue, much less a Nevada or Fresno State. They don't want to take a loss against UTEP especially at UTEP. . Selections committees give some weight for a win at UTEP (wether you want to accept it or not)"

Reactions: ShovelMan66
lmao!! What a joke. I swear that Phil Johnson has an account on here.

"I think all four teams are good teams," UTEP interim head coach Phil Johnson said. "I don't care what the records are. I think any of the four could win this tournament."

It's like saying I have 3 C's and 2 D's. but I don't care what my grades are and I'm a good student.

Phil Johnson sounds like PURPLEFIRE. :D

Reactions: ShovelMan66
"No one, though, has had a harder road than Howard. The Bison have played at Indiana, at Gonzaga, at Eastern Michigan, at Arkansas State, at South Florida, at Georgetown, They were in every game, save the one with nationally ranked Gonzaga."

No, Howard didn't have a chance to win every game and lost most games by double digits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT