ADVERTISEMENT

First UTEP Fan Council Meeting

Sorry, jdubb66. You and I think alike on multiple topics, but this hat design looks like ghetto wannabe.

Reminds me of my weasel nephew in Colorado. He fancies himself quite the stylish dude from the 'hood. Instead, he's just an average whiteboy more concerned about showing out for his punk-ass friends than training up and getting a real job.

I'm in the market for more UTEP gear. What else can you show us?
Im with you Hewore......I'm straight up hood, but no thanks...

Jdubb, not to appear to be "that guy", but I'm fairly certain you meant sweet.

Reactions: jdubb66
If that hat was white with an orange brim it would be perfect.

There was a grey with orange brim at one point. Other than 80's Paydirt Pete, that's my favorite logo. Not really a fan of the current Pete swinging the pick logo, but that's the one that seems to make it on most of the apparel.

Long-time Astros fan here, dating back to the Colt .45s playing in that so-called "temporary stadium" on South Main. Actually, it was a test lab for mosquitoes.

This gets mentioned and stays on topic because Astros ballclaps come in a variety of styles -- all in navy and orange, our favorite colors.

Prediction: If the Miners start winning in football and basketball again, the apparel industry will rush to find our wallets.

Reactions: axingfools1
Message me or contact me anytime, my contact info is also on the UTEP Athletics website. The experience has been eye opening and has allowed me to share my honest opinions and pass along really awesome information to everyone else. I'm confident everyone in the Athletics department has the will and desire to right the ship, it's just about patience and doing our part to help the process along.

I like it. NMSU is not a rival. Its beyond stupid to play them. People are starting to see the light. Kill the series Senter.

Yeah it’s beyond stupid to play a team a bus ride away. Much better to pay a team from far away to come here instead. Let’s pay NAU another $325k and maybe break even.

Sorry but get used to paying an FCS school each year because that's not going away. Yes having the short travel distance is nice but it really limits and prevents us from scheduling another better OOC game each year, and we are stuck with it for quite a while under contract.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Yeah it’s beyond stupid to play a team a bus ride away. Much better to pay a team from far away to come here instead. Let’s pay NAU another $325k and maybe break even.

I would rather pay a team $325 k than prop up a non existent rivalry and by doing so give up market share in an already small market.

Sorry but get used to paying an FCS school each year because that's not going away. Yes having the short travel distance is nice but it really limits and prevents us from scheduling another better OOC game each year, and we are stuck with it for quite a while under contract.

I don't have an issue with playing FCS teams, I just don't think getting the Aggies off the schedule is a good idea. What games are we missing out on by scheduling the Aggies? No team worth a crap is going to come here without 2 for 1s or desperation.

That’s fine but can we schedule FCS schools that we can beat? There’s no need to schedule “regional” teams since attendance doesn’t see a spike. If we’re paying someone to come take an L then let’s make sure that we can beat them.

That’s fine but can we schedule FCS schools that we can beat? There’s no need to schedule “regional” teams since attendance doesn’t see a spike. If we’re paying someone to come take an L then let’s make sure that we can beat them.
Damn, no Appalachian St then I guess

The meeting on Tuesday went good. Everything NewGenMiner said was correct and many of us brought up issues with gameday experience such as tailgating, video board, giveaways and parking. Athletic Dept will be working on them for the next home game.

If any of you have any questions let us know so we can relay to the Athletic Dept. Senter is going to be hard at work to make sure, UTEP is doing things correctly and good. Give the overall programs time to grow and we can get there. Hope to see you at the next home game.

In my opinion I think if we just start winning, it doesn't matter one iota who we're playing. If we can put up some "W's" everything changes including attendance.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
The meeting on Tuesday went good. Everything NewGenMiner said was correct and many of us brought up issues with gameday experience such as tailgating, video board, giveaways and parking. Athletic Dept will be working on them for the next home game.

If any of you have any questions let us know so we can relay to the Athletic Dept. Senter is going to be hard at work to make sure, UTEP is doing things correctly and good. Give the overall programs time to grow and we can get there. Hope to see you at the next home game.
It took stull 10 years to destroy the gameday experiece. It ain't coming back after 1 game.

Parking is a major issue for me. If the team is winning, fine, people will come from everywhere but if your building a team. Make it as accessible as possible. Don't put an already marginalized fan base a mile away from the stadium and ask them to hump it or ride an already crowded 20 seater.

Parking is a major issue for me. If the team is winning, fine, people will come from everywhere but if your building a team. Make it as accessible as possible. Don't put an already marginalized fan base a mile away from the stadium and ask them to hump it or ride an already crowded 20 seater.

The parking lots surrounding the campus are the best to park unless you can park at the parking garage. The shuttles schedule was noted to Senter as well. The number of shuttles are provided from UTEP. The walk is not to bad, some of the older council members do make the walk themselves.

Reactions: MinerJo
I don't have an issue with playing FCS teams, I just don't think getting the Aggies off the schedule is a good idea. What games are we missing out on by scheduling the Aggies? No team worth a crap is going to come here without 2 for 1s or desperation.
I see the same thing. If we have such hot h&h games in waiting that we need to replace NMSU then why not start with substituting them with the FCS opponent.

Reactions: KaneFan29
I see the same thing. If we have such hot h&h games in waiting that we need to replace NMSU then why not start with substituting them with the FCS opponent.
Moneywise on travel expenses, it makes sense to play NMSU. Senter is not convinced on NMSU being a rival and I cant blame him. UTEP needs NMSU fans to come into Sun Bowl so we can make money on the game, so UTEP fans need to be there in a bigger capacity for the next home game.

Most years, I think we can agree that UTEP should beat them in football and we should split the basketball series. Problem is, NMSU has owned us in basketball and the football team finally lost to them.

Like JCorona said, who are we going to replace them with? Tarelton St? Eastern New Mexico? Yeah, that will put butts in the seats. NMSU should remain on the schedule until we become a consistent Top 25 team and or can replace them with something better.

Most years, I think we can agree that UTEP should beat them in football and we should split the basketball series. Problem is, NMSU has owned us in basketball and the football team finally lost to them.

Like JCorona said, who are we going to replace them with? Tarelton St? Eastern New Mexico? Yeah, that will put butts in the seats. NMSU should remain on the schedule until we become a consistent Top 25 team and or can replace them with something better.
If we’re going to replace NMSU with UH/SMU then I’m good with that. In that case then let’s replace the FCS game with NMSU.

The interactive map is cool and informative. I wonder how many people are aware and/or using it. Are we tracking it with Analytics? Do we have a campaign to make people more aware? Are we tracking the searches people are making on it? It's a great tool.

The university barely released I believed. I discovered it on Sunday. It was brought at the council meeting so we can have it more advertised. The interactive map could help many fans with the idea of parking being bad. UTEP did a great map, I believe it will be consistently updated as well. Each of you on the board should share with social media and friends so people know.

If we’re going to replace NMSU with UH/SMU then I’m good with that. In that case then let’s replace the FCS game with NMSU.

I think Senter wouldn't mind scheduling someone like SMU as long as the money is good then we could do it. Also the schedule is pretty much set for the next couple of years unless other schools back out.

I could care less if we play NMSU in football every year. We might as well, though, as it’s usually a W. Don’t care what minerforlife and Senter think, it is a rivalry. It’s not something that is artificially propped up, as mfl suggests, nor does it make or break a season, but it is a rivalry.

As far as bb goes, there is no way in hell we should stop the series. The Battle of I-10 is over 210 games deep, and only 6 games separate the teams as far as Ws and Ls. That is the epitome of rivalry...did I already mention it’s a rivalry despite what minerforlife and Senter say?

I don't give a crap what anyone says, we MUST keep NMSU on our schedule.

The map is cool n all, but it doesn't show "tailgating areas" on the north side?

I could care less if we play NMSU in football every year. We might as well, though, as it’s usually a W. Don’t care what minerforlife and Senter think, it is a rivalry. It’s not something that is artificially propped up, as mfl suggests, nor does it make or break a season, but it is a rivalry.

As far as bb goes, there is no way in hell we should stop the series. The Battle of I-10 is over 210 games deep, and only 6 games separate the teams as far as Ws and Ls. That is the epitome of rivalry...did I already mention it’s a rivalry despite what minerforlife and Senter say?
To consider removing in any TheAgs in any sport would be ridiculous. Forget it. They are the only natural rival we have anymore since we left the WAC and went CUSA.

They arent a rival. Its stupid to play them. The thinking that NMSU is a rival us the thinking that has held the athletic department and in reality the entire school down.

They arent a rival. Its stupid to play them. The thinking that NMSU is a rival us the thinking that has held the athletic department and in reality the entire school down.

Oh? Scheduling NMSU held down the department and not complacency and losing you say?

Who is UTEP’s rival then

Reactions: El Paso Is Great
How in the hell does it hold the school down?
The only reason we’re saying it’s not a rivalry is we’ve been losing lately. One of the most enjoyable games I went to was NMSU IN THE 80’s. The game went back and forth and so did the bragging between fans. We won the game and lay it on the Aggie fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT