ADVERTISEMENT

Football Recruiting

Reactions: T-6 Miner
Marion moves too much. He’ll be gone for an OC position at a power 5 soon. So commits have to realize that the guy that recruited them is looking for a way out.
And Scotty Walden and his staff aren’t looking for a way out too? They will leave for the first better opportunity if they turn it around (and I have no issues with it).
You think if Walden has a good record next year and Baylor fires their coach he is going to stick around if Baylor offers him the job? Hell no.

Last edited:
And Scotty Walden and his staff aren’t looking for a way out too? They will leave for the first better opportunity if they turn it around (and I have no issues with it).
You think if Walden has a good record next year and Baylor fires their coach he is going to stick around if Baylor offers him the job? Hell no.
The dude signed an extension earlier this year. There’s no loyalty. And that’s fair. I’ll never hate on a person advancing in their life. It’s empowering and inspiring.

Marion also tweeted "retention"; presumably referring to keeping the current UNLV players on board. This was after he interviewed at least twice at other schools.

I didn’t say that. I said Marion has a history of short stints.

There is a higher probability of Walden being here after 2 seasons than there is of Marion being at UNLV.

Don’t get your panties all tied up.

Yeah unfortunately I don't think Cade is the right QB for this system.

QB's that have played in this system

Jarrett Stidham
Seth Russell
Bryce Petty
Robert Griffin III
Dane Evans
Drew Lock
Hendon Hooker

Offensive Philosophy
1. Create space: Wide Splits, Play Action, Tempo
2.Attack space: Extreme freedom in routes. “Find Grass, Run Fast!”
3. Know who your throwing to: (give QB one option)

If you look at these QB's that have played in the system. They don't have to be running QB's but they tend to be Athletic. They do have to have some arm talent. The QB's in this system tend to not be successful in the NFL.

Shay Smith is projected to be a College Linebacker.

I think I read or heard somewhere that Shay is the son of Miner great Paul Smith?? I had the chance to watch him play a couple of games this year and he sure looks the part of a D-1 athlete. Has a rocket arm, poised, elusive, is a pass first thinker but can get out and run if he needs to. Unfortunately for us I think he's going to be very highly recruited.

Don’t underestimate the athletes coming out of El Paso. There’s some talented players from El Paso who have done great in college and in the NFL. Granted El Paso cannot compare to Dallas, FW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin, but every year El Paso has about 5 to 6 legitimate Division 1 players. Here are some of guys that come to mind, Aaron Jones, Bryan Young, Ray Mickens, Deion Hankins, Jeremiah Cooper (Iowa St), LJ Martin (BYU), Aaron Dumas (formerly at UNM and now at UTEP). If Shay is in fact Paul Smith’s son, then he’s got some good genes. Paul himself played in the NFL and the guy was a physical specimen. UTEP should always go after the best HS players in El Paso.

Last edited:
Don’t underestimate the athletes coming out of El Paso. There’s some talented players from El Paso who have done great in college and in the NFL. Granted El Paso cannot compare to Dallas, FW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin, but every year El Paso has about 5 to 6 legitimate Division 1 players. Here are some of guys that come to mind, Aaron Jones, Bryan Young, Ray Mickens, Deion Hankins, Jeremiah Cooper (Iowa St), LJ Martin (BYU), Joe Dumas (formerly at UNM and now at UTEP). If Shay is in fact Paul Smith’s son, then he’s got some good genes. Paul himself played in the NFL and the guy was a physical specimen. UTEP should always go after the best HS players in El Paso.
I have no issues with UTEP recruiting legit D1 talent coming out of el paso. You just can't build a core or a roster with el paso guys. You need to be able to recruit Texas/ California / the Southeast to form the core of the roster. Looks like Walden may be able to recruit two of those three. If el paso is producing 5 or 6 D1 players a year as you say. Then hopefully utep can atleast get 3 (50%) atleast. Typically local kids want to get out of el paso though.

Don’t underestimate the athletes coming out of El Paso. There’s some talented players from El Paso who have done great in college and in the NFL. Granted El Paso cannot compare to Dallas, FW, Houston, San Antonio and Austin, but every year El Paso has about 5 to 6 legitimate Division 1 players. Here are some of guys that come to mind, Aaron Jones, Bryan Young, Ray Mickens, Deion Hankins, Jeremiah Cooper (Iowa St), LJ Martin (BYU), Aaron Dumas (formerly at UNM and now at UTEP). If Shay is in fact Paul Smith’s son, then he’s got some good genes. Paul himself played in the NFL and the guy was a physical specimen. UTEP should always go after the best HS players in El Paso.
DFW and Houston Galveston, ok. Depends on talent pool for EP on a given year; however, it has been changing every year. Pebble Hills has some great players who can fit on a FBS roster with Canutillo High as well due to the expansion in these areas. Way more talent than just those few names.

I have no issues with UTEP recruiting legit D1 talent coming out of el paso. You just can't build a core or a roster with el paso guys. You need to be able to recruit Texas/ California / the Southeast to form the core of the roster. Looks like Walden may be able to recruit two of those three. If el paso is producing 5 or 6 D1 players a year as you say. Then hopefully utep can atleast get 3 (50%) atleast. Typically local kids want to get out of el paso though.
I'm not saying to build a team with only El Paso players like Kugler wanted to. You can’t win that way. What I’m saying though, is to go after the top talent in our own backyard. Go after these kids first and establish a relationship with them early on. Under Dimel, UTEP was the last school to offer local kids, even when these kids had multiple offers. I totally understand some local kids want to take their talents somewhere else...that’s perfectly fine. What’s not good is not being aware of talent in your own backyard. For UTEP to achieve success we have to recruit DFW, Houston, SA, Austin, West TX, Cali and the deep south. Furthermore, we have to get players in the transfer portal. Dimel went heavy on the JC route and rarely brought in HS players or D 1 transfers.

Last edited:
Reactions: PickMyAxe915
I'm not saying to build a team with only El Paso players like Kugler wanted to. You can’t win that way. What I’m saying though, is to go after the top talent in our own backyard. Go after these kids first and establish a relationship with them early on. Under Dimel, UTEP was the last school to offer local kids, even when these kids had multiple offers. I totally understand some local kids want to take their talents somewhere else...that’s perfectly fine. What’s not good is not being aware of talent in your own backyard. For UTEP to achieve success we have to recruit DFW, Houston, SA, Austin, West TX, Cali and the deep south. Furthermore, we have to get players in the transfer portal. Dimel went heavy on the JC route and rarely brought in HS players or D 1 transfers.
Dimel was afraid to recruit aggressively against other schools

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT