ADVERTISEMENT

Football vacancy

Allow me to translate. "We haven't come to terms with our guy yet so we're going to "interview" and "vet" other candidates to give the illusion (wink, wink) that we're going about this in a professional and systematic fashion."
If I had to handicap it based on knowing that this process started probably a month or more ago... Also based on alleged conversations I've had with people close to the situation.
-Eck was Senter's 1st choice and may still be, but he's still in the FCS Playoffs
- Brennan Marion has made a late push and SDSU not taking him opens up an opportunity at Utep
- Grimes will get an interview and legit chance and is squarely in the top 3 (Hope not though)
- White is very interested in us, question is how interested is Senter in him
-Will Stein opposite of White. We're probably very interested in him not sure how interested in us he is.
- Patterson was maybe contacted, but this probably won't go very far
- Jeff Banks Asking for at least 1.5 million base to take care of his monkeys
- Walden, etc..... Dark Horse Candidates are on about equal footing.

Last edited:

And is Senter going to pay him? He makes a 7 figure salary and I highly doubt he is going to take a pay cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: EPUTEP
The ship has

And is Senter going to pay him? He makes a 7 figure salary and I highly doubt he is going to take a pay cut.
The money and the lack of facilities/NIL will eliminate several of the names we are talking about. Knowing UTEP, the next HC will be someone we haven’t brought up. I’m already preparing myself to be disappointed.

The money and the lack of facilities/NIL will eliminate several of the names we are talking about. Knowing UTEP, the next HC will be someone we haven’t brought up. I’m already preparing myself to be disappointed.
So a couple of things that it seems Miner fans are missing or don't know It's understandable to not have faith in Utep or Senter on this hire.

The only reason I know this is, because someone I've known for a long time and am very close to worked in the Utep Accounting and Budget office (this includes sports budgeting) for many years until very recently.

A- Utep has more money than most of you all think allotted for sports. This hire will surprise some as the pay will most likely be raised. Look for a min of $850,000 base with incentives going over a million or 1 million Base with incentives going over 1.25 million. Senter and Donors want to see results and it'll be a nice bonus package in place with reachable metrics for a new coach to meet.
B- The Priority has been put on basketball that's probably a known fact, but that is soon to change. An NIL Deal Larger than most think is coming as well as Sun Bowl and LKD upgrades have already been approved and are awaiting final announcement. I'm sure whatever coach is coming in will be told this as well.
C. Utep and other CUSA teams all will be seeing a good size bump with the payment's starting to come in from the departing CUSA teams. Also to a very small part FAUs run in the NCAA, which benefits the remaining members. This is also why I want to see Liberty go to a NY6 Bowl. It only helps us and the conference.
I do like Eck and he was always my 1st choice, but that is a lazy choice I now think. Marion is a great choice and we probably get him at around $900,000, but he won't stay long, which means he's won here, so that's fine. Will Stein is the far and away Home run pick, but will cost a min of 1.25-1.5 mil base+ incentives. I think that's worth it for sure. I'm worried too Senter may try and save a buck, but I'm hoping not. The whoa is us we don't have money argument is tired and played out! UTEP has just as much if not more for sports than anyone in CUSA not named Liberty and very much on par with W. Kentucky, M. Tennessee, FIU and La Tech. This hire may mean Senter his job, so let's hope he hires like it and gets Miner Faithful motivated once again!!!

So a couple of things that it seems Miner fans are missing or don't know It's understandable to not have faith in Utep or Senter on this hire.

The only reason I know this is, because someone I've known for a long time and am very close to worked in the Utep Accounting and Budget office (this includes sports budgeting) for many years until very recently.

A- Utep has more money than most of you all think allotted for sports. This hire will surprise some as the pay will most likely be raised. Look for a min of $850,000 base with incentives going over a million or 1 million Base with incentives going over 1.25 million. Senter and Donors want to see results and it'll be a nice bonus package in place with reachable metrics for a new coach to meet.
B- The Priority has been put on basketball that's probably a known fact, but that is soon to change. An NIL Deal Larger than most think is coming as well as Sun Bowl and LKD upgrades have already been approved and are awaiting final announcement. I'm sure whatever coach is coming in will be told this as well.
C. Utep and other CUSA teams all will be seeing a good size bump with the payment's starting to come in from the departing CUSA teams. Also to a very small part FAUs run in the NCAA, which benefits the remaining members. This is also why I want to see Liberty go to a NY6 Bowl. It only helps us and the conference.
I do like Eck and he was always my 1st choice, but that is a lazy choice I now think. Marion is a great choice and we probably get him at around $900,000, but he won't stay long, which means he's won here, so that's fine. Will Stein is the far and away Home run pick, but will cost a min of 1.25-1.5 mil base+ incentives. I think that's worth it for sure. I'm worried too Senter may try and save a buck, but I'm hoping not. The whoa is us we don't have money argument is tired and played out! UTEP has just as much if not more for sports than anyone in CUSA not named Liberty and very much on par with W. Kentucky, M. Tennessee, FIU and La Tech. This hire may mean Senter his job, so let's hope he hires like it and gets Miner Faithful motivated once again!!!

Senter is hiring for his job here, and Heather Wilson is in charge this go around, not Natalicio. This makes me think he can’t F this up.

I’m good with Eck and Stein, will be disappointed if Marion is given the reigns. His Go-Go lack of experience is no bueno for UTEP.

Senter is hiring for his job here, and Heather Wilson is in charge this go around, not Natalicio. This makes me think he can’t F this up.

I’m good with Eck and Stein, will be disappointed if Marion is given the reigns. His Go-Go lack of experience is no bueno for UTEP.
New dark horse name....Kasey Dunn. Long time Assistant, but never a HC. If OK St. upsets Tex his name is gonna get mentioned at more G5 jobs besides just Utep.

Dimel would have made over a million if he had the season he should have had. So the numbers Natty discussed are in the ballpark of what UTEP is prepared to do and can do.

What nugget is talking about is paramount. If you listened to Colin Deaver’s podcast, he mentions the pressure that Senter is under internally from UTEP administrators. He has a contract until 2026 but no one really works with 1 year left on a contract in College Athletics, extensions are always negotiated 2 years out.

This will be Senters most important hire and probably last hire if things aren’t looking up by 2025, Senter is out.

Nugget is 100% right, he is ‘hiring for his job.’

Wilson doesn’t seem much different than Natalicio when it comes to athletics. It isn’t very assuring when she just expects a 50/50 chance of winning . Now if she mentioned winning CUSA championships, I would believe that Senters job is in jeopardy with this upcoming hire. Hopefully I’m wrong but I will believe it when I see it.

Wilson doesn’t seem much different than Natalicio when it comes to athletics. It isn’t very assuring when she just expects a 50/50 chance of winning . Now if she mentioned winning CUSA championships, I would believe that Senters job is in jeopardy with this upcoming hire. Hopefully I’m wrong but I will believe it when I see it.
If donors get loud with Wilson, maybe she will start listening. But you basically said what I was thinking. UTEP hasn't been competitive in CUSA in the major sports in atleast a decade.

Yeah, Houston has delusions of grandeur.
Well, during that time I mentioned above, they did beat the sh!t out of 9th ranked Florida State in the Peach Bowl, beat 3rd ranked OU handily, and kicked the crap out of 3rd ranked Louisville, all within a year's time.

They have a president who actually cares about winning and positioned them to get into the "big boy's club".

They have a basketball team that has recently been in the final 4. Are ranked 6th now and have been a regular fixture in the tourney the better part of the last decade.

No delusions of grandeur. But, to my point, Major Applewhite still sux!!

Marion is gaining more and more steam I hear. He's definitely a coach who will bring instant energy, transfers including maybe some from UNLV. He'd also probably be able to keep Akhariyi. He's s creeped up to my #2 choice after Stein. IDK why, but White isn't that far up there for me.

Marion is gaining more and more steam I hear. He's definitely a coach who will bring instant energy, transfers including maybe some from UNLV. He'd also probably be able to keep Akhariyi. He's s creeped up to my #2 choice after Stein. IDK why, but White isn't that far up there for me.
White is a DC, which is a drawback for me. Utep needs an offensive mind. Unless White is a masterful recruiter, I'm not interested.

White is a DC, which is a drawback for me. Utep needs an offensive mind. Unless White is a masterful recruiter, I'm not interested.
If they go with an offensive-minded coach, I hope he brings in a DC with proven experience. Too many "offensive-minded" HCs tend to believe they can outscore the other teams and fail to place enough emphasis on the defensive side of the ball.

If the new coach is someone like Grimes, they would announce it right away. He's out of work so no reason to hold back. If its someone like Marion, who is playing for a conference championship this weekend, they would probably wait until after that game to announce lest it be a distraction for his team.

If I had to handicap it based on knowing that this process started probably a month or more ago... Also based on alleged conversations I've had with people close to the situation.
-Eck was Senter's 1st choice and may still be, but he's still in the FCS Playoffs
- Brennan Marion has made a late push and SDSU not taking him opens up an opportunity at Utep
- Grimes will get an interview and legit chance and is squarely in the top 3 (Hope not though)
-Will Stein opposite of White. We're probably very interested in him not sure how interested in us he is.
- Patterson was maybe contacted, but this probably won't go very far
- Jeff Banks Asking for at least 1.5 million base to take care of his monkeys
- Walden, etc..... Dark Horse Candidates are on about equal footing.
Forget Patterson

• Haha
Reactions: nattybry
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT