ADVERTISEMENT

G Ray Johnson

Sports Opinion

Starter
Jun 20, 2020
This was probably discussed a long long time ago but I have always wondered why G Ray Johnson was never offered the position of Head Coach when Don Haskins retired ? Why did Jason Rabadeaux (RIP) was offered the position over him ? I might be mistaken but I believe he was a very good assistant and always wondered what could have been if he had been the Head Coach.

Last edited:
I know that Haskins didn't recommend G Ray for the job. I understand that G Ray was none to pleased about that. I worked with G Ray's wife for years in the Gadsden District. When he retired he focused on his Ranch in Animas. His wife retired from teaching as well. They had a small home on my street here in Santa Teresa and moved to El Paso so their daughter could attend Coronado. Lost track of them after that.

This was probably discussed a long long time ago but I have always wondered why G Ray Johnson was never offered the position of Head Coach when Don Haskins retired ? Why did Jason Rabadeaux (RIP) was offered the position over him ? I might be mistaken but I believe he was a very good assistant and always wondered what could have been if he had been the Head Coach.
It would have been a disaster.

As much as a legend Haskins was, UTEP basketball needed new blood at the time. Whoever was going to succeed Haskins was doomed to fail. That’s why Floyd didn’t take the job at the time. He was always considered the heir apparent. Eventually that turned into a disaster as well.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
More than Rabadeaux ?
It was going to end badly for whoever followed Haskins, but it would have been even worse if G Ray had been coach. Despite Rabs personal issues, he was able to land coaching jobs afterwards. What did G Ray do? Do ranching stuff? Tells you 2 things, 1, he didn’t have the passion for college basketball and 2, nobody thought of him highly enough to pull him away from the ranch.

I bet Rab, BG, Doc, Barbee, Floyd, Terry, and Golding are thought or think about basketball every day, all year. When they take vacations, they didn’t really take vacations. I bet G Ray didn’t.

If I remember correctly, G Ray was allowed to coach several games when Haskins was unavailable for a few games. I can’t remember what the circumstances were, but it was pretty evident G Ray wasn’t head coach material. Haskins was loyal to assistants he believed would handle the job, but he didn’t think G Ray would be that guy. Haskins hired Norm Ellenberg as an assistant when no one would hire him after the Lobogate recruiting scandal. Haskins was outspoken in his support of Ellenberg, but the damage from Lobogate was too great an Ellenberg never became a D1 HC again. Haskins was brutally honest and only endorsed those individuals he believed had what I took.

Reactions: Rocketsr
G Ray really couldn't recruit (which is a task most assistant coaches do and this was even more the case with Haskins as he really didn't like the task). In those final years G Ray signed a player from Silver City and two from Arizona Western JC, that was it. I feel for Rabs he was put in a position that he was doomed no mater what. It's tough to follow a legend. Going to be interesting to see what happens at Duke in the next few years as they are going to experience this as well.

G Ray really couldn't recruit (which is a task most assistant coaches do and this was even more the case with Haskins as he really didn't like the task). In those final years G Ray signed a player from Silver City and two from Arizona Western JC, that was it. I feel for Rabs he was put in a position that he was doomed no mater what. It's tough to follow a legend. Going to be interesting to see what happens at Duke in the next few years as they are going to experience this as well.
The unfortunate thing with Rabs wasn’t that he failed on the court, he messed it all up off the court.

Reactions: MinerManiac
I was already here in Vegas and I remember the local sports radio talk show talking about Jason and what a good job he was doing at UTEP(I think it was his first year) and wondering why UNLV couldn't get a good up and comer coach like him.

I was already here in Vegas and I remember the local sports radio talk show talking about Jason and what a good job he was doing at UTEP(I think it was his first year) and wondering why UNLV couldn't get a good up and comer coach like him.

Truly don't mean to piss on the man's grave but he was an asshole.

In my opinion G Ray was one of the big reasons that we didn't have success in the 90s. Obviously the NCAA sanctions were hugely responsible, but as Mosquito said G Ray was a poor recruiter. If we hadn't dismissed Bradburd and Lackey, or if Haskins hadn't been so loyal to G Ray and hired a better recruiting assistant instead, I think that Haskins' last few seasons would have turned out much better than they did. Not hiring G Ray to succeed Haskins was the right choice. Unfortunately the guy we did hire let his demons control him to the point of losing his family, countless college basketball jobs, and ultimately his life while living alone in Vietnam.

The unfortunate thing with Rabs wasn’t that he failed on the court, he messed it all up off the court.
Well not exactly, he lost a top recruit Alex Galindo after he had already signed with UTEP, exactly the same thing that happened to Tim Floyd with Issac Hamilton.

Well not exactly, he lost a top recruit Alex Galindo after he had already signed with UTEP, exactly the same thing that happened to Tim Floyd with Issac Hamilton.
Galindo was a Gillispie recruit. He de-committed when Sergio Rouco didn’t get chosen over Doc Sadler. Rouco and Galindo went to FIU.

Hamilton was different, he signed a NLI and tried to back out later in the summer. Galindo backed out of his non-binding commitment once the job was Sadlers. Different.

Galindo was a Gillispie recruit. He de-committed when Sergio Rouco didn’t get chosen over Doc Sadler. Rouco and Galindo went to FIU.

Hamilton was different, he signed a NLI and tried to back out later in the summer. Galindo backed out of his non-binding commitment once the job was Sadlers. Different.
No Sir, Galindo was a Jason Rabadeaux recuirt, he had nothing to do with Billy Gilliespie and I remember that pretty well. But maybe you are right about the non-binding commitment.

You are the one who is dead wrong and should go look up, Alex Galindo was been recruited by Jason Rabadeaux. I even remember Rabadeaux say the words, quote: [ They're are sharks in the water ] when he lost him as a recruit.

If Rab left in the fall of 2002 and Galindo played his freshman year at KU in 04-05, how can he be a Rab recruit?

Your opinion is that Rab recruited Galindo? I hate to bring facts into the argument but Rab was long gone. Gillespie was the HC when Galindo was offered.

Reactions: chicotown
Alex Galindo is even mentioned on Sergio Rouco's Wikipedia.

Plus, Rab resigned a month before the season. Galindo would have been on the roster. Doesnt add up.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Your opinion is that Rab recruited Galindo? I hate to bring facts into the argument but Rab was long gone. Gillespie was the HC when Galindo was offered.
When Gillespie was the coach and we had Fili, Omar, and Jason Williams begining their first year, they had an open practice for the public in Memorial Gym. I was there! Alex Galindo WAS there and was being recruited by Gillespie. I remember vividly Gio St Amant throwing a pass to Galindo at the end of the practice in the corner and Galindo nailed a long three!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT