ADVERTISEMENT

Going Forward

minermx07

MI Regular
Sep 6, 2009
1. I can't think of a season where we lost to two worse teams than Southern Miss or Marshall. These loses are on par with Nord's Cal Polly loss (losses that expose the flaws of a program for all to see).

2. That being said, this team (don't laugh) can still win the C-USA tourney and even win one NCAA game (two is a stretch, even for a biased fan).

3. UTEP is a team with elite level bigs (UTEP has the best front court in CUSA and probably a top 25 level level front court).However, its guard play is atrocious (probably among the 50 worst back courts in the nation).

4. As a result, anything can happen this season, which is what makes this season so frustrating. This team is amazingly talented and amazingly bad at the same time.

5. I hope Floyd leaves this year and takes a job somewhere. However, if he doesn't I hope he fires one of his assistants or bare minimum, stops with the massive turn-overs in the off-season.

You don't win at the university level without elite guard play. It's that simple.
I cannot think of one college team that didn't win in or go far in conference tournament or the national tournament play without that standout point and shooting guard.

I agree..I've stated before that we're missing a true PG - in spite of the improved play the past few weeks - missing a traditional tough nosed floor general has been our biggest problem. But as the season is winding down, I'm thinking the real problem is that UTEP's overall talent is over-rated. Hunter has been hurt/exposed and after that, there has not been one player who has stepped up on a consistent basis. In simple terms, I define basketball talent as being able to put the ball in the hoop or setting someone else to do the same. That just didnt happen this year. We have a top notch defender, we have some big boys, we have a flash of a player but not enough talent to win this conference.

Originally posted by minermx07:

5. I hope Floyd leaves this year and takes a job somewhere. However, if he doesn't I hope he fires one of his assistants or bare minimum, stops with the massive turn-overs in the off-season.
Probably the most glaring problem with the program and that bold sentence needed its own number.

Floyd over recruits, players are constantly leaving or being kicked out in the offseason. Guys we count on as recruits aren't coming. The turnover in players is just too much. Even though other programs like Tulsa had massive overhauls in the past and still beat us, we have traditionally developed players and won.

I would say going forward, keep players on campus and develop them.

Too many guys like Washburn and Bohannon have come with lots of potential, but never get better.

Chances are we may never see Winn, Touchet, or Flaggart, next season. Or at least 1 will be out.

Chances are at least 2 of the guys we signed won't be here.

Hooper Vint is likely gone due to graduation. There will be another unexpected transfer for sure.

But recruiting guys like Josh Brown is scary. How does a guy that 'can't play' at this level, get an LOI? And honestly, the last couple guys mentioned sign here in the Spring are not at all that impressive.

We cannot give up on guys too early, Twymond Howard is an example. He is having a solid season.

In the end, it all falls on the head coach, he is the CEO of the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT