ADVERTISEMENT

Going inside the head of Dana Dimel.

shyminer81

MI Hall of Famer
May 22, 2006
Vancouver Washington
A nice write up, and Q&A with Dana Dimel and his time at Houston. He appears to throw Houston under the bus... Retracting the blame from himself... Just thought i'd share.

Why were you surprised by the decision in the meeting Sunday?

Three years is not a long time to give a coach to turn a program around. If the program was winning and consistent and I came in and brought it down in three years, then yes you should fire a coach after three years. If the program is trying to rebuild and a coach comes in and shows the improvement that we have after three years, then that is just a tough message to send.

What kind of advice would you give the guy that is going to come in and take your place?

He needs to come in and embrace the players first off. He needs to avoid the grinding transition process that I went through, because that is not easy. This program cannot afford that this weekend. He needs to keep up the discipline in the program.

The rest can be found below:

https://uhcougars.com/news/2002/11/26/dana_dimel_lends_final_thoughts_at_press_luncheon.aspx

Jeez, he reminds me of Floyd. He sounds delusional, taking credit for any growth within the program and seems to skirt responsibility for any short comings.

I like him even less now.

He took over a UH team that was 7-4. Three seasons later he had only won 8 games and he calls that improvement.

By the time this is over we’re going to long for the 4-5 win seasons Kugler spoiled us with.

Reactions: orangepiggy
He took over a UH team that was 7-4. Three seasons later he had only won 8 games and he calls that improvement.

By the time this is over we’re going to long for the 4-5 win seasons Kugler spoiled us with.
If a coach consistently gave us 4-5 wins and had the occasional breakout season like once every 4 years . I'd want to keep him. That would be like Keitha Adams level of success. Kugler had 2 wins, a good breakout season, 4 wins, and then 0 wins.

If a coach consistently gave us 4-5 wins and had the occasional breakout season like once every 4 years . I'd want to keep him. That would be like Keitha Adams level of success. Kugler had 2 wins, a good breakout season, 4 wins, and then 0 wins.
After four seasons Kugler was actually on pace to be one of the more “successful” UTEP head coaches.

Wins After 4 complete seasons

Price 25
Stull 21 (3 years)
Kugler 18
Nord 11
Bailey 11
Lee 10
Yung 7
Michael 5

We will wait and see how Dimel’s numbers stack up against this list.

After four seasons Kugler was actually on pace to be one of the more “successful” UTEP head coaches.

Wins After 4 complete seasons

Price 25
Stull 21 (3 years)
Kugler 18
Nord 11
Bailey 11
Lee 10
Yung 7
Michael 5

We will wait and see how Dimel’s numbers stack up against this list.
I think the lesson is that only Price and Still had semi-sucessful runs as coaches everybody else was a disaster, including Kugler.

Reactions: NYCMiner
What makes this season harder to swallow is that this schedule was favorable for a rebuilding program. Two by weeks close to each other (Dimel stated he and the staff are hitting the road recruiting this week), sub par or programs rebuilding as well, all games were regional or at home with USM being the farthest.

When the local sports media and those on social media say "UTEP is improving...." we need to say "show the proof".

UTEP has lost at two games that should have easily gone the Miners way in a less empowering Nevada team and a straight up under performing UTSA team that did not have their star qb. What gives? Why can't UTEP keep consistent drives going (this was common under Kugler), can't throw a pass beyond ten yards without pocket collapsing, power run game starting clicking on eight cylinders and tires out the opposing defense then all of sudden UTEP wants to pass which stops critical drives? Just explain the inconsistency?

UTEP has not just one but three to four capable solid WR's this year; why is the offensive pocket breaking down so quickly?

Why are KL and Jones not consistent?

If Dimel is doing the play calling, why is Hughes not utilized more in the offense?

Are other players, other than Hankins, have trouble learning the RPO offense (aka The Pistol) resulting in inefficiency and not getting the right players in the right spot (i.e. Walter Dawn)?

Why the breakdown in discipline? Dimel states himself about "a penalty here...a penalty there" that cost them the game, then why does it keep continuing?

The ranking of UTEP coaches since 1980

1. Gary Nord
2. Bob Stull
3. Mike Price
4. Sean Kugler

Everyone else was a disaster. Kugler cant be ranked a complete disaster because he is responsible for our only winning season in the last fifteen years. He did recruit the two best players in the past quarter century Jones and Hernandez.

Nord is number win because he won a conference title and recruited the guys on Price's first two teams. Once Nord's guys were gone Price never won again.

Nord is number win because he won a conference title

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I consider UTEP's 2000 WAC Football Championship on par with UCF claiming the 2017 National Championship. Yes, officially both UTEP and TCU are recognized as co-champions. However, TCU blasted UTEP in their head to head matchup 47-14 (11/18/2000). To me that's the tie breaker. There's no such thing as "sharing" a championship. There can be only one.

I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I consider UTEP's 2000 WAC Football Championship on par with UCF claiming the 2017 National Championship. Yes, officially both UTEP and TCU are recognized as co-champions. However, TCU blasted UTEP in their head to head matchup 47-14 (11/18/2000). To me that's the tie breaker. There's no such thing as "sharing" a championship. There can be only one.
In conferences without a championship game, there have been seasons when the top two teams had identical conference records and yet did not play each other. See the Big Ten in 1996, for example. I certainly consider that a valid co-champion scenario, since they did not play each other.

And things can get messy when there are three such teams who all beat each other...

Anyhow, what about Billy Gillispie's WAC champion team? They split head-to-head with Nebraska during the regular season. Are they not co-champions, or do you think Nevada is the only champion?

Disagree. He got us to one more bowl game with Vittatoe. There were also some big wins like beating #12 Houston.

That isn't to say that he shouldn't have won more.

I meant never had another winning season. That Houston game to me was the highlight of his tenure. The UNM game his second season had an electric atmosphere I dont think we've ever been able to recapture at any athletic event. That September night in the Sun Bowl was special.

And yet we ran off Mike Price...
Imo that’s why we kept him around for so long. It seemed like we were always one or two wins away from being a contender. Now we’re one or two wins away from not having a winless season.

The last two and half years of UTEP athletics have been merciless on the fan base. There’s a lot of pressure on Terry and the transfers.

Last edited:
Kugler sucked, and almost everyone on here was calling for his head. Now some you are talking like he did a great job. Jones was the only reason he one as many games as he did.
Dimel sucks too. Maybe one of these days will get a coach that expects to win and not just wish to improve a game at a time.

Kugler sucked, and almost everyone on here was calling for his head. Now some you are talking like he did a great job. Jones was the only reason he one as many games as he did.
Dimel sucks too. Maybe one of these days will get a coach that expects to win and not just wish to improve a game at a time.

Nobody thinks he did a great job. People are astounded senter brought in someone who was a clear downgrade from the previous coach who ran the car off the road.

Last edited:
My expectation is that when a coach escalates the program and then plateaus or leaves (like Price and Barbee), the next hire should be expected to take us further up, not backwards.
Depends what the previous coach left behind.

I meant never had another winning season. That Houston game to me was the highlight of his tenure. The UNM game his second season had an electric atmosphere I dont think we've ever been able to recapture at any athletic event. That September night in the Sun Bowl was special.
Come on any athletic event. You must be pretty young to remember the Haskins center in the 80s. I recall some magazine ranking it as one of the best home courts in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT