ADVERTISEMENT

Grand Canyon lost to Division II Davenport University

So that means Texas Tech would get beat by Davenport University and be competitive in the Big 12.

Should a bonafide D1 team be losing to a transitioning D2 school without two of their best players? I don’t think so.

You keep mentioning that they are a transitioning program. Just so you are aware, the NAIA and DII athletics are very comparable. Almost the exact same in regards to scholarship money to athletes. So the transitioning doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Also, as rare as it may be, these upsets happen man. The most memorable DII win over a DI program I can think of was #2 Michigan losing to Alaska Anchorage. Michigan went on to win the national championship. It happens.

GCU is looked upon as a quality mid major and this year will be no different...even with the loss to Davenport.

Am I saying we should hang out hat on that win? No. But GCU will prove to be no slouch.

You keep mentioning that they are a transitioning program. Just so you are aware, the NAIA and DII athletics are very comparable. Almost the exact same in regards to scholarship money to athletes. So the transitioning doesn’t have anything to do with it.

Also, as rare as it may be, these upsets happen man. The most memorable DII win over a DI program I can think of was #2 Michigan losing to Alaska Anchorage. Michigan went on to win the national championship. It happens.

GCU is looked upon as a quality mid major and this year will be no different...even with the loss to Davenport.

Am I saying we should hang out hat on that win? No. But GCU will prove to be no slouch.

If Michigan lost to Alaska Anchorage, they would have played in Alaska, on UAA's home court. Not exactly the same as GCU losing to Davenport in Phoenix. Chaminde beats P5 teams here and there, also on their home court. It happens, but if you're playing at home, you have no business losing to D2 teams. Only the Chicago St and Alabama St' s of the world should be threatened by D2 teams on their home courts.

I remember the UAA upset of Michigan. That was when Michigan had the "Forgotten" Fab Five (they went by the name but it became associated with the freshmen 3 years later). That Michigan team sent Sean Higgins, Terry Mills, Rumeal Robinson, Loy Vaught and Glen Rice to the NBA. The upset happened at the Huntsman Center at the University of Utah.

Rob Pelinka was on that team too. Today he's better known as a GM

The only men's basketball championship in their history though technically they were runner up twice (92 & 93 were vacated)

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT