ADVERTISEMENT

Has a season turned this bad this quick?

STexMiner

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 15, 2004
If you asked anyone on here just a month and a half ago "26-5?," I think the answer you would have gotten would have been maybe a bit optimistic, but not impossible. Now we're where we are. WTF happened? Yeah, the schedule got a bit tougher, but it's not like we're playing a Big XII schedule.

You just can't win playing against any team and giving them almost two tries everytine down the court because we can't rebound! All we need is a big guy who can rebound and we don't have that and will not get that this year! Either they have to just pack it up for the year or do something miraculous with our rebounding problems

You just can't win playing against any team and giving them almost two tries everytine down the court because we can't rebound! All we need is a big guy who can rebound and we don't have that and will not get that this year! Either they have to just pack it up for the year or do something miraculous with our rebounding problems

I can assure you, with absolute certainty, that is not ALL we need.

I can assure you, with absolute certainty, that is not ALL we need.
I agree with Coog. Yes we could use a big man that rebounds, but what I see is no team chemistry and them not playing for each other. I don't see effort and playing with a passion to win (with heart). It's like they don't care and it's sad because despite the rebounding issues, they have the talent to win (see Colorado St game). Again, watch the UTEP women's team and you see the difference in the heart, effort, and desire. The men need need to break the ice and have a team (players only) meeting to come together.

Coach Floyd recruited these players, so he either needs to adjust to their talents or start recruiting guys who will play his way. For example, although Lee Moore is driving the ball to the basket at will, I feel he is not taking as many three pointers as he was earlier in the year. He started off well from behind the arc and then began to go cold from there. However, a shooter breaks out of a slump by continuing to shoot.

As for yesterday's game, Touchet should have played more. Even Coach Johnson said so in the post game with Teicher. Touchet seemed to be playing with poise and confidence and maybe he could have helped in getting the team better shots. Instead, there was one on one play and wild and bad shots that ensued. Free throws need to improve drastically and that can be done with continued concentration and practice.

I like everyone else am disappointed. I am not saying they will turn it around (that's up to the players), but with the craziness of March Madness all that matters is that they play their best basketball in March. I saw them beat Southern Illinois and CSU, so they can do it. I am passionate about UTEP basketball and yearn for games like we had in the 1980's and early 90's. I will always support the Miners whoever their coach is and no matter what their won loss record is. Yes, we deserve better, and I too am waiting for that day.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
The scary part is Floyd sounded confident about this squad coming into the year, so he's obviously perplexed as well. If he doesn't know how to right the ship with this team, what hope can we really hold out for this team. Sorry to say, I drank the Kool Aid with Artis. He's showed signs, but was not the answer we all thought. I really thought our guards would dominate CUSA and that has not happened. I had a bad feeling after Willis was ruled out and Mc Swiggan, this was gonna be one of the years. As Miner Fans it's time to accept this as a .500 kinda year and Floyd back at the helm at least another year with everyone returning and hopefully a healed bigger Willms. I've accepted it already and am just watching NBA now and hoping my Spurs win another Championship and I'll keep an eye from afar to see if the Miners at least show some guts down the stretch!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT