ADVERTISEMENT

Hate Towards UTEP - Why?

For sure. People even in our region are clueless. I bought a car in Phoenix a few years ago and the dealer asked me why I went all the way to Phoenix from El Paso, and didn't go somewhere closer like Dallas or Houston.
*my bs reply*
Well, taxes…
🤣😂🤣😂🤣🤣

When I worked at TTUHSC EP, the treatment/comments from individuals in Lubbock were not surprising. They knew Lubbock was nothing to write home about, but majority of them thought EP was way beneath them.

When I worked at TTUHSC EP, the treatment/comments from individuals in Lubbock were not surprising. They knew Lubbock was nothing to write home about, but majority of them thought EP was way beneath them.
Can I play devil's advocate here? Actually the angel's for El Paso advocate.

The crime in Juarez has everything to do with USA's unquenching appetite for drugs. They'd make meth foot cream if you wanted to get high through topical means.

To dove tail that, people are moving to El Paso to escape their American crime ridden neighborhoods, post Covid economy (Cheaper and better weather in El Paso and housing) growing El Paso economy and not all tied into Fort Bliss. El Paso grew at only 8% to over 865,000 (in the city boundaries alone) plus based on 2020 Census. That was 2020 folks. That was pre Covid. 79936 is in the most densely populated top 5 zip code in the USA (https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/06/26/the-most-populated-zip-codes-in-america/ )

Everyone thinks EP is way beneath them. El Pasoans think their own town is way beneath them. If El Paso is so horrible, why does El Paso keep growing and growing and growing?

Never had a problem in Dallas and now Covington KY. Lots of praise for the 66 team from the UK fans. Doesn’t feel like KY since I’m a walk across/drive over a bridge from Cinci.
I used to go the Hooters on a barge right by the Kentucky side of the blue bridge. And the Boathouse in Cincy. Loved watching the Reds play there.

Reactions: axingfools1
So going through various message boards, I have to say a lot of people have considerable hate towards UTEP (particularly former WAC conference mates)

Why?

Honestly, while I expect some hate here and there, it surprises me because we've never had the winning to inspire such dislike.

I think its interesting that some fans of the former WAC 16 place some blame on UTEP for the creation of MWC. (something about how we demanded certain concessions/schedules) I don't remember this so am I remembering things incorrectly?

Any ideas on this?
Jealousy ??? They didn't like that UTEP dominated in the 80s?

Can I play devil's advocate here? Actually the angel's for El Paso advocate.

The crime in Juarez has everything to do with USA's unquenching appetite for drugs. They'd make meth foot cream if you wanted to get high through topical means.

To dove tail that, people are moving to El Paso to escape their American crime ridden neighborhoods, post Covid economy (Cheaper and better weather in El Paso and housing) growing El Paso economy and not all tied into Fort Bliss. El Paso grew at only 8% to over 865,000 (in the city boundaries alone) plus based on 2020 Census. That was 2020 folks. That was pre Covid. 79936 is in the most densely populated top 5 zip code in the USA (https://247wallst.com/special-report/2019/06/26/the-most-populated-zip-codes-in-america/ )

Everyone thinks EP is way beneath them. El Pasoans think their own town is way beneath them. If El Paso is so horrible, why does El Paso keep growing and growing and growing?
Then why aren’t you here ?

I’ve been to Lubbock many times and it is not better than El Paso. It’s not a nice place and has a higher crime rate than El Paso. The only good thing Lubbock has is ttech. The whole town revolves around tech. The problem with El Paso is an image problem. Many of the people who say negative things about El Paso have never been there and those that travel through west El Paso on I-10 see the poor houses in Juarez and believe that’s El Paso. Like any US big city El Paso has some bad areas, but there are some nice areas with nice shopping centers, safe neighborhoods, nice parks, great restaurants, museums, beautiful mountains, and other attractions. It bothers me to hear negative comments like that, but I will also point out to those individuals the negative areas in places like Lubbock.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
El Paso is sooooo trashy. I can't believe that our politicians don't focus on beautifying the city. El Paso could be so nice, but it's just not important to the community.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
So going through various message boards, I have to say a lot of people have considerable hate towards UTEP (particularly former WAC conference mates)

Why?

Honestly, while I expect some hate here and there, it surprises me because we've never had the winning to inspire such dislike.

I think its interesting that some fans of the former WAC 16 place some blame on UTEP for the creation of MWC. (something about how we demanded certain concessions/schedules) I don't remember this so am I remembering things incorrectly?

Any ideas on this?
It has to do specifically with the look of Juarez from across the UTEP Campus. For that three things can be done to resolve the issue. 1) Build a 314 ft x 3 mile long flat TV Screen that shows a very different scenery of Juarez with a beautiful landscape, a beautiful clear water river, american style homes, parks etc. 2) Invade Juarez and tear down all those ugly neighborhoods and build American style homes, parks etc, clean the river and make it part of El Paso. 3) I'm just dreaming and I'm just kidding.

It has to do specifically with the look of Juarez from across the UTEP Campus. For that three things can be done to resolve the issue. 1) Build a 314 ft x 3 mile long flat TV Screen that shows a very different scenery of Juarez with a beautiful landscape, a beautiful clear water river, american style homes, parks etc. 2) Invade Juarez and tear down all those ugly neighborhoods and build American style homes, parks etc, clean the river and make it part of El Paso. 3) I'm just dreaming and I'm just kidding.
BUILD THAT TV!

BUILD THAT TV!

BUILD THAT TV!

I lived in EP 32 years and had a great time. My hometown. Live in the Frisco area now. and won't ever go back and it's hard to know why. Wages- is one reason. But Frisco is a city that gets things done, EP can't even build an arena. EP politics frustrate me. Maybe that is another reason.

Same. Wages and arena did it for me. I wasn’t gonna stick around and find out the arena wasn’t getting built. Can’t believe it went up for vote, what a decade ago?

I lived in EP 32 years and had a great time. My hometown. Live in the Frisco area now. and won't ever go back and it's hard to know why. Wages- is one reason. But Frisco is a city that gets things done, EP can't even build an arena. EP politics frustrate me. Maybe that is another reason.
Sometimes I think of going to live to the Dallas area but then I remember that it is in tornado land.

Incompetent Leadership. If we had true leaders the area would be up and running.
Correct. If they weren’t hell bent on that specific spot, it would be done. Grossman and his cronies gave the city a site 2 blocks away that was all clear. The arena isn’t built because the city doesn’t want to.

Incompetent Leadership. If we had true leaders the area would be up and running.
It’s sad. In the last four years Austin built a USL stadium. The team is now gone. A 260 million MLS stadium. A $300 million arena for Texas basketball, and spent over 200 million in renovations for Memorial Stadium. Things get done in other cities.

Gee thanks for the info. The point still stands. In Austin shit gets built. In El Paso it doesn’t. Simple as that.
It’s different. Private owner built it on land he already has. This arena is by the city, using city funds.

El Paso doesn’t have anyone willing to build their own arena/stadium on land they already own.

Austin does get shit done. They have more people with real money, is the state capital, and is attractive for white people to live. El Paso isn’t that.

It’s different. Private owner built it on land he already has. This arena is by the city, using city funds.

El Paso doesn’t have anyone willing to build their own arena/stadium on land they already own.

Austin does get shit done. They have more people with real money, is the state capital, and is attractive for white people to live. El Paso isn’t that.
True. Both soccer stadiums were privately built by local millionaires. The basketball arena was also built without taxes from the city.

It wasn’t that long ago that Austin wasnt what it’s turning into. Not sure what exactly happened but it’s boomtown now.

It’s funny that it’s attractive to white people but they make up less than half of the population.

True. Both soccer stadiums were privately built by local millionaires. The basketball arena was also built without taxes from the city.

It wasn’t that long ago that Austin wasnt what it’s turning into. Not sure what exactly happened but it’s boomtown now.

It’s funny that it’s attractive to white people but they make up less than half of the population.

They’re still the majority by a large percentage. Austin has “higher quality” Hispanics than El Paso too.

Austin doesn’t have the stigma that El Paso does either. People with money will continue to choose Austin over El Paso.

Long live the white race. Ok just kidding but build that TV!!!

ATX won Bum Steer of the Year fair and square. It’s just not the same and unrecognizable to 2018 ATX.

Brain drain and low wages are what sent me packing.

My sister lived in Dallas for 15 years before moving back recently, and my mother was out there for about 2 before moving back and they immediately regretted their decision. Aside from wages, the overall quality of life in El Paso can’t compare to larger cities. Plus as been discussed in previous posts we are a city that has always been run by incompetent officials. But what does it say about the constituency when we keep voting these idiots in and passing every wasteful bond that’s put forth?

I was born and raised in El Paso and couldn't wait to leave when I graduated in '79. Came back to work when I was married and had kids for 4 years in the late 90's-early 2000's. I left in 2002 and will probably never go back by choice (other than to catch a football or basketball game). The overall politics (local versus county, for example), lack of vision by business leaders to attract national firms, and financial investment by too few families/companies/philanthropists, are just some of the reasons for my choice. Finally, I will NEVER understand the decision-making process by UTEP that kept us at least 2 steps behind our former conference mates in the WAC, MW, then the evolving C-USA. It kills me seeing Utah, Arizona, ASU, or even SDSU play today knowing what could have been with the right leaders, financial investment and coaches.

I googled that and have no clue what you’re talking about. You’re the one who brought up Dallas tornadoes as a reason not to move there. Which is a ridiculous reason.
Hey, I'm just teasing you, it is the Tulsa golden Hurricane, but since there are no hurricanes in Oklahoma it has to be the Tornado. I'm also planning on maybe moving to the Dallas Area because I can't stand all the BS going on in both El Paso & Juarez. The border crossing is crazy, the I-10 connect is a complete failure because the racists border protection offices are out of control, the idiotic mexican customs closing lanes, the Arena been canceled, both Juarez and El Paso are been flooded with Venezuelans, now you see a lot of people begging in the streets, it's just a complete chaos. etc etc etc.

Last edited:
I'm still mad that El Paso got small versions of Dave and Buster's and Cabbellas.

Hey, I'm just teasing you, it is the Tulsa golden Hurricane, but since there are no hurricanes in Oklahoma it has to be the Tornado. I'm also planning on maybe moving to the Dallas Area because I can't stand all the BS going on in both El Paso & Juarez. The border crossing is crazy, the I-10 connect is a complete failure because the racists border protection offices are out of control, the idiotic mexican customs closing lanes, the Arena been canceled, both Juarez and El Paso are been flooded with Venezuelans, now you see a lot of people begging in the streets, it's just a complete chaos. etc etc etc.
Housing has gotten expensive in DFW and very competitive (like Phoenix). My sister cannot find an affordable house.

If we were to move, we would go to San Antonio.

I travel around the southwest. I would still live here over the other cities. Say what you will about our problems but people are still nicer here.
We complain about our city and politicians but do we get involved to change it. I know I don’t.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Good thing that arena was stopped in Duranguito and those partially torn down tenements will remain. Not only flooded with Venezuelans but also afghan refugees. El Paso has become a dumping ground in recent years

Housing has gotten expensive in DFW and very competitive (like Phoenix). My sister cannot find an affordable house.

If we were to move, we would go to San Antonio.
Having owned homes in DFW and San Antonio they are surprisingly pretty equal now in terms of getting into a comparable neighborhood.

Having owned homes in DFW and San Antonio they are surprisingly pretty equal now in terms of getting into a comparable neighborhood.

DFW is almost as crazy as Austin. When Toyota announced their move there, houses around the site of their new headquarters went up like crazy. Same thing with HP and Houston. Austin was the same way when Tesla and Oracle moved in. When were in Austin, SA housing was cheap, it is still cheaper, but not so much.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT