ADVERTISEMENT

How good is this Miner Defense?

I was only 7 years old so I don’t have any good memories of 1988, but as it stands today this is the best Miner defense I’ve seen. They can get sacks, they make tackles and they make interceptions. I can’t think of a defense that could do all three at such a high level.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
I was only 7 years old so I don’t have any good memories of 1988, but as it stands today this is the best Miner defense I’ve seen. They can get sacks, they make tackles and they make interceptions. I can’t think of a defense that could do all three at such a high level.
No one expects to remember days back then. “Maynard” was before my time. It’s the appreciation of. The “standing on the shoulders of giants” that comes into play. A Nazi resistance professor at UTEP laid that seed in my young innocent mind years ago.

So here we are are today, does this UTEP D compare to the 2000 D? I say no, not as of right now. Mosh Pit Merkens would have to agree.

No one expects to remember days back then. “Maynard” was before my time. It’s the appreciation of. The “standing on the shoulders of giants” that comes into play. A Nazi resistance professor at UTEP laid that seed in my young innocent mind years ago.

So here we are are today, does this UTEP D compare to the 2000 D? I say no, not as of right now. Mosh Pit Merkens would have to agree.
The 2000 D was great but off the top of my head Menson Holloway was the only guy who got sacks and those guys got killed by LT twice. But I’m the last 30 years that may be the only D that compares..

Don’t forget that Inyang is playing at a very high level in the secondary also. Last night he had that incredible tackle on 4th down to give UTEP the ball back. He’s also had multiple picks and pass deflections throughout the season. I’m just so proud of how these guys have developed and are gelling right now, it’s incredible to watch. This defense can ball!

1st is our "rotation" and depth on the line as we sub in almost a new core defensive players every series. Keeps players fresh and we don't seem to fade as we did for many seasons. In CUSA the talent differnce on defense is not that great between teams so depth and keeping fresh bodies can have a big effect. 2nd is our tackling which is far improved from what it was in the past. We take better angles, play in front and wrap up low, in particular the secondary. 3rd we recognize better, several times last night we blew up passes out in the flat and screens La Tech ran. You can criticize coaching all you want, but these 3 factors all stem from coaching and team preparation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT