ADVERTISEMENT

Howard Jackson

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
Aaron Jones is great and one of the best. But i still think Howard Jackson was the best RB ive seen at Utep. It was a shame he never made a NFL team.

Do yall think Aaron jones is the best RB in miners history?

Reactions: FarWestTexas
When Harvey was in school it seemed like a sure that thing that he would have a big career in the NFL.

Who was the running back who had the huge game against Houston on tv back in the Mike Price era? He had two good seasons at UTEP, but when he took his physical for the NFL draft, the doctors said he had early onset arthritis, and he never got picked up by any one.

Who was the running back who had the huge game against Houston on tv back in the Mike Price era? He had two good seasons at UTEP, but when he took his physical for the NFL draft, the doctors said he had early onset arthritis, and he never got picked up by any one.

Tyler Ebell?

I think you're referring to Donald Buckram.

When Harvey was in school it seemed like a sure that thing that he would have a big career in the NFL.

John Harvey could have had a good NFL career, had his cocaine issues not gotten in the way. He played one year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1990) and finished up in the Canadian Football League (1992). In 2007, Harvey was arrested and charged with raping a 12-year old girl (multiple counts), which he eventually admitted to doing and was sentenced to 12 years in NY State pen.

http://hudsonvalley.news12.com/news/ex-nfl-player-gets-12-years-in-spring-valley-rape-1.8223548

Reactions: Cube Jack
AJ is the best I've ever seen. Harvey was great but there was a fullback on that team that was outstanding too. Toraino Singleton was a beast. Paul Smith was a fire plug. Buckram had an amazing Jr. year. Joe Banyard was steady and has been in the NFL for 4 or 5 years now.

Howard Jackson was one of my favorite RBs, but he was too tiny to make it in the NFL. No way that guy could make it running between the tackles. Toraino Singleton was another back who could have been special if not for his off the field issues.

Had Nathan Jeffery stayed healthy, and had AJ not come along when he did, he could've been damn good also. I will never forget how he shredded OU's defense for just about 3 quarters, until he got hurt (hip or groin or something like that).

Torraino "T" Singleton. Wow! That name brings back memories. He was a soph when I was a senior, at Coronado.

AJ, Harvey then Howard Jackson. Buckram had a huge junior season in 2009 accounting for more than half of his yards/TDs. Marcus Thomas had a big senior year in 2007 and a solid career (in a very pass happy offense). Singleton was a Beast but only played 2 seasons. Had AJ and Singleton played 4 years they would likely be 1 (by far) and 2 in the record books in yards and TDs.

I met Howard Jackson and Johnnie Lee Higgins some years after they played at UTEP. Both are pretty small but obviously that didn't matter as they are two of the miner greats.

Had Nathan Jeffery stayed healthy, and had AJ not come along when he did, he could've been damn good also. I will never forget how he shredded OU's defense for just about 3 quarters, until he got hurt (hip or groin or something like that).

Torraino "T" Singleton. Wow! That name brings back memories. He was a soph when I was a senior, at Coronado.
Once a T-Bird, always a T-Bird! (Class of '87)

Reactions: MineroFanatico
John Harvey could have had a good NFL career, had his cocaine issues not gotten in the way. He played one year with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1990) and finished up in the Canadian Football League (1992). In 2007, Harvey was arrested and charged with raping a 12-year old girl (multiple counts), which he eventually admitted to doing and was sentenced to 12 years in NY State pen.

http://hudsonvalley.news12.com/news/ex-nfl-player-gets-12-years-in-spring-valley-rape-1.8223548

Damn. Idiot.

He shouldve been put away for life. 12 years is a slap on the wrist.

Reactions: miner661
UTEP has had a nice 15 year run with RBs. Howard Jackson, Tyler Ebel, Marcus Thomas, Donald Buckram, Nathan Jeffery, and AJ. And before that it was John Harvey, Toraino Singleton and Paul Smith. Looking at the Centenial Team Ken Heineman and Fred Wendt also deserve consideration as well. Heineman was a two time All American and Wendt was the national rushing leader in 1948.

AJ is the best I've ever seen. Harvey was great but there was a fullback on that team that was outstanding too. Toraino Singleton was a beast. Paul Smith was a fire plug. Buckram had an amazing Jr. year. Joe Banyard was steady and has been in the NFL for 4 or 5 years now.

Torraino and Smith were beasts. I remember meeting a starting UTEP linebacker back during the Smith days who said he hated practicing against Smith because he was such a powerful rb.

I got the privilege of seeing Singleton live on the field during his playing days and while he didn't possess Jones footwork, speed and balance he had sheer power and strength like a semi truck going 80 down I 10.

Yes. When he graduated I remember following the draft and being perplexed on seeing him skipped over. Rumor was he failed an NFL drug test.

Anyone remember Scooter Menifee? He wound up playing in the Independence Bowl when John Harvey was suspended. Larry Sims was supposed to be big but was often injured and never lived up to expectations. Creg Evans was a good FB. Toraino Singleton played on some awful teams with zero line and of course had off field problems.

I had hopes that Buckram would make it in the NFL. These lists have several Miners who were almost at that next level. I hope Aaron Jones stays healthy enough and keeps his head on straight enough to actually have a career in the pros. Would be good for him and good for UTEP. Here's another name for you, Jose Martinez. Jose, Jose Jose Jose. Record setting kicker at UTEP. Tested positive for Mary Jane. Never got a shot. Where is he these days?

Reactions: MinerFan79
I had hopes that Buckram would make it in the NFL. These lists have several Miners who were almost at that next level. I hope Aaron Jones stays healthy enough and keeps his head on straight enough to actually have a career in the pros. Would be good for him and good for UTEP. Here's another name for you, Jose Martinez. Jose, Jose Jose Jose. Record setting kicker at UTEP. Tested positive for Mary Jane. Never got a shot. Where is he these days?
I remember those good days of the Jose Jose Jose chant. Simple easy times back then. Last I heard of him he played with a couple of teams in the Arena Football League back in 2014. I don't know what he is doing nowadays.

Anyone remember Scooter Menifee? He wound up playing in the Independence Bowl when John Harvey was suspended. Larry Sims was supposed to be big but was often injured and never lived up to expectations. Creg Evans was a good FB. Toraino Singleton played on some awful teams with zero line and of course had off field problems.

Damn! Good memory. Scooter was pretty damn good.

Is John Harvey still in prison? I rarely heard his name mentioned until Aaron Jones defeated his record

The article I posted above states he was sentenced to 12 years, and that was in 2008. The fact he admitted to it leads me to believe it was a plea bargain. Had a jury convicted him of those crimes, he'd been in for a lot longer.

I was playing poker with Jackson one time and I accidently referred to him as Thomas Howard. He got pretty perturbed, but it was all good 🤣

Reactions: Lil_Train
AJ was never was that fast, but so smooth and strong. Great vision and decision making. So many break aways. The stiff arm and the pass catching are top notch too. Yes sir.
He ran a 4.59 and 4.6 at the combine. Not fast for his size but the vision and quickness are beyond belief. Great hands too. And I have to say that some guys are just faster in a real game situations. Explosiveness I guess is what they call it but he gets through the hole like few people ever have.

He ran a 4.59 and 4.6 at the combine. Not fast for his size but the vision and quickness are beyond belief. Great hands too. And I have to say that some guys are just faster in a real game situations. Explosiveness I guess is what they call it but he gets through the hole like few people ever have.
His footwork was unreal. He turns the edge well against teams who don't cover it well. He takes control of the football and at the same time keeps moving. Like Cowing, the motion doesn't stop.

However, nothing helps more than great blocking schemes. Check out this fantastic blocking (0:37 mark) by UTEP as AJ splits a seam for 91 td run at Tech. The handoff, blocking, everything is in unison. Sadly, AJ got hurt and Kugler's one dimensional offense reared it's ugly head and Mahomes took over.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT