ADVERTISEMENT

I saw this at KU

DAYDEV

Starter
Feb 10, 2004
Charlie Weis came in the same way from the NFL living off of his past success thinking he knew everything. He wanted to use his NFL mindset in a league that you have to throw. He thought he could use his name and NFL ties to just field a team. He thought he could bully the kids into doing what he said. And he went out of his way to blame the past staff every chance he got. This is very much what Kugler is doing. He has turned off the kids with this attitude and has finally turned off the fans with this talk just to be talking style. I have said it before and still believe NFL coaches make terrible college coaches. Its a totally different game and then you add in Kug resume NEVER dictated he would be HC material. Kug needs to come down off his high horse or he will be looking for a new job. And please change your recruiting strategy

Here's the key difference. Kugler inherited a program that had seven straight losing seasons. He then had to get rid of 43 scholarship players, basically putting himself on self imposed probation. In his second season he took us to a bowl. I know the schedule wasnt great, but over the past years this program has lost to some very bad teams consistently. I give Kugler credit for beating teams he should that's something very few UTEP teams have done.

In saying that this year has been unnacceptable. Under no circumstances can you get blown out by FIU or lose to UTSA.

Charlie did the same at KU. KU has 60 players on scholarship and 5 are walkons they gave this year. The bowl game is the only thing that separates them. And if he doesn't change things around he will also leave UTEP worse off than when he got them.

You're both right and Weiss is a fair comparison. You have to throw in the IW game. I know a win is a win, but it's an embarrassing win against and small FCS upstart. That game showed in it's naked glory, that his two, and three (in some positions) were not progressing, and against IW, getting beat.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I was referring to the wins last year. He beat the teams he should beat to get us to a bowl. I do agree with Daydev that we will have to cut our losses sooner than later because the trajectory of the program is not good

I was referring to the wins last year. He beat the teams he should beat to get us to a bowl. I do agree with Daydev that we will have to cut our losses sooner than later because the trajectory of the program is not good

And Price wouldn't have beaten those teams? The teams he beat weren't that good. We got lucky last year and got exposed this year.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Chi! Life, you know that's untrue.

No we didnt have a winning season for seven years. We lost to bad teams Memphis, Buffalo, Tulane, UAB, NMSU. We lost to terrible teams. This isnt a Price vs Kugler thing. Price needed to go he didnt produce. Kugler looks like he needs to go. My only point was Kugler gets credit for beating bad teams and going to a bowl because in the last ten years we havent done that.

Houston came in, over ranked, to the Sun Bowl as a top ten team. One of the best moments Price's defense rose to the occasion. I seriously doubt Kulger will accomplish that as a UTEP coach.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
I guess you forgot about 2010. Also, Price didn't get blown out by bad teams.

No i didnt. That year we went 6-6 with only five wins vs fbs competition one win was against Arkansas pine bluff. We ended with a losing record. Last year we had a winning record and Kugler beat 7 fbs schools.

No i didnt. That year we went 6-6 with only five wins vs fbs competition one win was against Arkansas pine bluff. We ended with a losing record. Last year we had a winning record and Kugler beat 7 fbs schools.

You said this: "My only point was Kugler gets credit for beating bad teams and going to a bowl because in the last ten years we havent done that."

In the last ten year before Kugler, UTEP went to a bowl game.

You said this: "My only point was Kugler gets credit for beating bad teams and going to a bowl because in the last ten years we havent done that."

In the last ten year before Kugler, UTEP went to a bowl game.

My mistake I should have said finished with a winning record.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT