ADVERTISEMENT

I'd like to see what CTF is talking about...

tbleslieDELETE

All Star
Mar 8, 2012
In two seasons, plus a RS season to acclimate to the college game, Willms has been less than opposing on either end of the floor, thus far. I have seen flashes of good play that points towards his "potential", followed by play that I'd rather forget about. I'm not sure why we don't play him above the rim more often on the offensive end. He has decent hops for a guy his size and can get way above the hoop. He tends to lose the ball with regularity when he comes down to the ground with ball in hands. Omega to Willms on the alley oop multiple times a game seems like a no brainer to me. I'd also like to see him develop an actual go to move, when he is within 4-5 feet of the bucket, where he at least draws rim. He may not block many shots, but there is no doubt that he alters quite a few. I like that aspect of his defensive game. Wish he would work harder for rebounds with the height he's got, though. Also needs to keep the ball up high or tucked tightly towards his body after defensive boards because he gets swiped a LOT. Maybe his game will jump way up now that he is our main big, and he doesn't have to follow Ced. I hope anyway. CTF has said along, even fairly recently, that Willms will make money for a long time playing bb. I'm ready to see some evidence of that, personally. Given that guard play is more of a determinant of whether a team will be strong or not, I feel like Willms' play next year will be nearly as crucial for the Miners to be "successful", however you want to define that.

He needs to work hard this summer on gaining upper body strength. His injury prevented that last year

While I agree that the kid needs to develop strength wise...in a big way, I think there is more to it than that. His all around game needs fine tuning. I'm hoping he is among our biggest surprises in terms of overall improvement next year.

I think his biggest issue is footwork. It seemed like there were a bunch of times where he'd either travel or trip over his own feet and have to chuck up an offbalance shot. Like much of the team, Matt showed flashes, but it just wasn't there night in and night out.

Willms would benefit by attending a "big man" camp over the summer. This is an area where having Greg Foster on staff was a benefit.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT