ADVERTISEMENT

If I were a UTEP Donor/Booster...

LaserCoog

All Star
Feb 5, 2002
... My message to anybody and everybody would be simple: No more "same old same old". Period. I didn't become wealthy making bad investments and right now UTEP athletics is and has been a bad investment. Using any reasonable measure (championships, win/loss records, bowl games, NCAA playoffs, revenue, attendance, game day experience, etc.), UTEP athletics today is arguably one the worst (if not THE worst) investments in collegiate athletics. You have a short-term President and an even shorter term Athletic Director. Their collective leadership and track record has resulted in the current, unacceptable state of UTEP athletics.

So here's the deal: I will NOT support business as usual. I will NOT support more of the same (e.g. internal promotions, a "good is good enough" mentality). I will NOT participate in a scenario in which Stull and Natalicio are final decision-makers in key athletic department decisions, particularly a new AD. I WILL help to underwrite a contract with a professional search firm to conduct a nation-wide search for the top three candidates for the position of Athletic Director. It's that important.

Major elements of that search would include:
  • The candidate's perspectives on concluding the relationship the current head football coach;
  • The candidate's philosophy and perspective regarding the hiring of a replacement head football coach.
  • The candidate's perspective on performance criteria (short and long term) for retaining the current head basketball coach.
  • The candidate's philosophy, history, role, and experience in establishing, building, and/or rebuilding a culture of excellence and winning in an athletic department, ideally with a major or mid-major collegiate program.
  • The candidate's perspective on using a similar process (e.g consulting firm) to aid and assist in hiring the most qualified coaches for collegiate revenue sports.
Some of the scenarios raised on this board would only seem to doom UTEP athletics to perpetual athletic Purgatory. I am a proud alum and willing donor to UTEP, but I will NOT support anything less than a professional, objective, criteria-oriented, qualifications-driven search for the next individual who will be expected (and held accountable) for building an athletic department this great university and its alums, current and future, can be proud to be associated with.

My $0.02...

Last edited:
... My message to anybody and everybody would be simple: No more "same old same old". I didn't become wealthy making bad investments and right now UTEP athletics is and has been a bad investment. Using any reasonable measure (championships, win/loss records, bowl games, NCAA playoffs, revenue, attendance, game day experience, etc.), UTEP athletics today is arguably one the worst (if not THE worst) investments in collegiate athletics. You have a short-term President and an even shorter term Athletic Director. Their collective leadership and track record has resulted in the current, unacceptable state of UTEP athletics.

So here's the deal: I will NOT support business as usual. I will NOT support more of the same (e.g. internal promotions, a "good is good enough" mentality). I will not participate in a scenario in which Stull and Natalicio are final decision-makers in key athletic department decisions, particularly a new AD. I WILL help to underwrite a contract with a professional search firm to conduct a nation-wide search for the top three candidates for the position of Athletic Director.

Major elements of that search would include:
  • The candidate's perspectives on concluding the relationship the the current head football head;
  • The candidate's philosophy and perspective regarding the hiring of a replacement head football coach.
  • The candidate's perspective on performance criteria (short and long term) for retaining the current head basketball coach.
  • The candidate's philosophy, history, role, and experience in establishing, building, and/or rebuilding a culture of excellence and winning in an athletic department, ideally with a major or mid-major collegiate program.
  • The candidate's perspective on using a similar process (e.g consulting firm) to aid and assist in hiring the most qualified coaches for collegiate revenue sports.
Some of the scenarios raised on this board would only seem to doom UTEP athletics to perpetual athletic Purgatory. I am a proud alum and willing donor to UTEP, but I will NOT support anything less than a professional, objective, criteria-oriented, qualifications-driven search for the next individual who will be expected to build an athletic department this great university and its alums, current and future, can be proud to b a part of.

My $0.02...

Booyahhhh!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT