ADVERTISEMENT

If UTEP FB loses out, will they go bowling?

Saw this on the CUSA board...

Believe it or not, it's still mathematically possible for CUSA to end up with 10 bowl eligible teams.

Here is how we get there. Wins in bold.

UTSA 10-0 (UAB, UNT) = UTSA 11-1
UAB 7-3 (UTSA, UTEP) = UAB 8-4
UTEP 6-4 (Rice, UAB) = UTEP 7-5
UNT 4-6 (FIU, UTSA) UNT = 6-6

Marshall 6-4 (Charlotte, Western) Marshall = 7-5
Western 6-4 (FAU, Marshall) Western = 6-6
FAU 5-5 (Western, Middle) FAU = 6-6
Charlotte 5-5 (Marshall, ODU) Charlotte = 6-6
Middle 5-5 (ODU, FAU) Middle = 6-6
ODU 4-6 (Middle, Charlotte) ODU = 6-6

Reactions: MinerFan79
Jerry Palm on CBS has UTEP going to the NO Bowl vs Louisiana. That would be an awful game for UTEP.

Speaking of awful, has BC vs Oregon St in the Sun Bowl.
I’d love that, but mainly because I would be happy to party in NO after a UTEP win. The Frisco Bowl, NO Bowl, (massive gap), and then the NM Bowl would be my preference, in order.

And the Sun Bowl needs to find a new sponsor who is willing to shovel out the cash to move up in the bowl pecking order. I like the PAC12 connection and really wish we could get the B10 connection again

edit: and I feel confident UTEP would head to the NM bowl, even at 6-6, over any of the eastern schools. UNT might be the only issue if they end up beating UTSA

Most bowl cities, not all, offer a lot of entertainment options and might be considered vacation destinations.

El Paso is just not one of those cities. It's kind of amazing that the Sun Bowl is still hanging in there with all the competition these days.
It's been rumored if the College Football Playoffs expands to 12 or more, it would ultimately kill a lot of the lower bowls, the Sun Bowl being one of them.

It's been rumored if the College Football Playoffs expands to 12 or more, it would ultimately kill a lot of the lower bowls, the Sun Bowl being one of them.
Looking at the pay outs Sun bowl pays alot more than the lower tier bowls, so I'm not so sure it would be one to get cut.

I hate to sound like a broken record but facilities also play a role. We're talking about P5 schools that are used to "state of the art" practice facilities. To them the Sun Bowl facilities probably look worse than their high schools.

I hate to sound like a broken record but facilities also play a role. We're talking about P5 schools that are used to "state of the art" practice facilities. To them the Sun Bowl facilities probably look worse than their high schools.
They don’t even do the majority of their practicing in or around the Sun Bowl. They use high schools while they’re here. 4 P5 bowl games are being played in baseball stadiums this year. The Sun Bowl and UTEPs facilities are a non-issue for the bowl.

They don’t even do the majority of their practicing in or around the Sun Bowl. They use high schools while they’re here. 4 P5 bowl games are being played in baseball stadiums this year. The Sun Bowl and UTEPs facilities are a non-issue for the bowl.
I'm pretty certain a MLB stadium will have better locker rooms and overall better facilities than the Sun Bowl.

Reactions: minerfan_14
The Sun Bowl is paying out I think 3+ million these days, but keeps dropping in caliber of teams. It's sad to see all the bowls that have passed us by. Sun Bowl should be top 10 or even top 5 outside BCS Bowls and it's not.

The Sun Bowl payout is a little more than 4.5 million.

I'm pretty certain a MLB stadium will have better locker rooms and overall better facilities than the Sun Bowl.
Baseball teams have 26 players and a handful of coaches, not really built for 75 players, many of which are bigger than MLB players and at least double the coaches. Fenway was built over 100 years ago, I doubt their locker rooms are equal to Alabamas locker room. If they knew they would host 1 football game a year, they might have bigger locker rooms.

Reactions: JCorona
Weren't the locker rooms updated not too long ago?
I know Terry played a big role in having the basketball lockers renovated. I'm not sure about football. M4L said they needed to be upgraded.

Most bowl cities, not all, offer a lot of entertainment options and might be considered vacation destinations.

El Paso is just not one of those cities. It's kind of amazing that the Sun Bowl is still hanging in there with all the competition these days.
The SB is loved by media personnel and out of town teams and fans for the great hospitality.

The SB is loved by media personnel and out of town teams and fans for the great hospitality.
I thought about this and maybe it was different before, but some things have changed with El Paso. So here in DFW obviously there's endless entertainment options. However in the winter those options get minimized. So besides the Professional Sports I don't see a huge difference for 18-21 year old kids to do for a couple of days.
El Paso:
Top Golf- if it's not too cold
Indoor Skydiving
Bowling/Laser Tag/Axe Throwing/Paint Ball
Clubs/Bars
Shopping
Sight seeing/Mountain Hike
Bowl Game Gifts
Awesome Mexican Food
The only other thing that I'd say DFW would offer that is world class museums and good concerts during the winter.

I thought about this and maybe it was different before, but some things have changed with El Paso. So here in DFW obviously there's endless entertainment options. However in the winter those options get minimized. So besides the Professional Sports I don't see a huge difference for 18-21 year old kids to do for a couple of days.
El Paso:
Indoor Skydiving
Clubs/Bars
Shopping
Bowl Game Gifts
Awesome Mexican Food
The only other thing that I'd say DFW would offer that is world class museums and good concerts during the winter.
National sports media have stated they get pampered for the SB. A mid level bowl that treats them like a it’s a major bowl. Not my words, their words.

El Paso:
Indoor Skydiving
Clubs/Bars
Shopping
Bowl Game Gifts
Awesome Mexican Food
No lower Dyer? C'mon man! Take them to Tanya's!

Not worried about the sun bowl. It will survive one reason I believe it’s CBS only bowl.
They're losing the crown jewel: SEC football. Doubt they want to keep a minor bowl game on a downward trajectory. It would get better ratings on ESPN anyway.

No lower Dyer? C'mon man! Take them to Tanya's!
I know you're joking, but that's how small city minded people in El Paso think and the reason it's 20 years behind cities it's size. I still keep up with what's being built in EP and the entertainment options have increased quite a bit since I moved away. There's more than some of you even realize, because people don't care to look or are just fine with the same things they've always done.

Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT