ADVERTISEMENT

If We Beat UAB, Tear down the Goal posts.

Somebody go find Mike Price's trophy he had made up for the UAB game about ten years ago. One year he made up a giant gold plate that had the UAB and UTEP logos on it. It looked like a tennis trophy. The team carried it down the mine shaft before the game. UAB won the game they didnt take the trophy. Before there was the civil dis order rivalry ( a rivalry UCONN made to with UCF) there was the UTEP UAB rivalry. In both cases only one school participated and the other school in both instances weren't interested in the trophy.

UAB is rolling right now with a few votes and looks headed straight to the CUSA championship game. They do have a recent history of losing WTF games on the road. Last year they lost at Ball St (2-10) and at Charlotte (1-11). With the way UTEP has been playing and with UAB’s tendencies to drop a game or two they shouldn’t anything can happen Saturday night.

Somebody go find Mike Price's trophy he had made up for the UAB game about ten years ago. One year he made up a giant gold plate that had the UAB and UTEP logos on it. It looked like a tennis trophy. The team carried it down the mine shaft before the game. UAB won the game they didnt take the trophy. Before there was the civil dis order rivalry ( a rivalry UCONN made to with UCF) there was the UTEP UAB rivalry. In both cases only one school participated and the other school in both instances weren't interested in the trophy.
Oh, Price.
sax7jduo10u11.jpg

When Northwestern finally won a game to end their record losing streak (a record that still stands), the fans rushed the field, tore down the goalposts, and carried the goalposts to Lake Michigan and dumped them into the lake. They call it "laking the posts."

I honestly dont think a goal post has been torn down in over ten years now. It's one of those things that's went the way of the dinosaur. Too many liability issues.

Offensive line and D line have come a long way. They have matured (as in development) this year more than the last two years (post AJ). Kugler had injuries, made excuses and nothing really seemed to get better. Dimel loses veterans and O Line gets better. Is it....

a)staff
b)recruiting
c)Psychological
d)all of the above

That's the second game in four years that UTEP let La Tech walk a way with a win they did not deserve. But "life is not about deserve".

Anyways, UTEP has to

a)Stuff the run. Make them throw
b)QB is turnover prone. Gamble Dimel. It's a throw a way year. Blitz like hell.

UAB for UTEP

See a & b above

I honestly dont think a goal post has been torn down in over ten years now. It's one of those things that's went the way of the dinosaur. Too many liability issues.
The fans don't care about liability issues; it's not something they think about when they try to tear down the goalposts.

The schools do, though, so I think the reason we don't see it anymore is because they've improved the designs of the goalposts so that it's pretty much impossible to tear them down anymore.

When Northwestern beat Michigan in 2000 in the 54-51, A-Train fumble game, you'd better believe the fans stormed the field and tried to tear down the goalposts. They couldn't do it. They did, however, permanently bend the goalposts and they had to be replaced anyway.

If the fans know they can't tear down the goalposts, they won't try.

Reactions: UTEPfan1966
The fans don't care about liability issues; it's not something they think about when they try to tear down the goalposts.

The schools do, though, so I think the reason we don't see it anymore is because they've improved the designs of the goalposts so that it's pretty much impossible to tear them down anymore.

When Northwestern beat Michigan in 2000 in the 54-51, A-Train fumble game, you'd better believe the fans stormed the field and tried to tear down the goalposts. They couldn't do it. They did, however, permanently bend the goalposts and they had to be replaced anyway.

If the fans know they can't tear down the goalposts, they won't try.

Of course the fans dont care about liability issues. The schools do that's why it doesnt happen anymore.

Offensive line and D line have come a long way. They have matured (as in development) this year more than the last two years (post AJ). Kugler had injuries, made excuses and nothing really seemed to get better. Dimel loses veterans and O Line gets better. Is it....

a)staff
b)recruiting
c)Psychological
d)all of the above

That's the second game in four years that UTEP let La Tech walk a way with a win they did not deserve. But "life is not about deserve".

Anyways, UTEP has to

a)Stuff the run. Make them throw
b)QB is turnover prone. Gamble Dimel. It's a throw a way year. Blitz like hell.

UAB for UTEP

See a & b above

UTEP will win bet the house on it. I thought La Tech and UNT were toss up games. With UAB's defense and Locksley at qb this is the one game I thought we had no chance in hell of winning. That's mean this is the game we will win. Locksley will have 500 yds of total offense or something crazy and we rip UAB apart.

Of course the fans dont care about liability issues. The schools do that's why it doesnt happen anymore.

I remember the last time the goalposts were torn down in 2000. At least two people who were on the goalposts when they fell filed lawsuits. I knew one of them personally. There was a actually a picture in the sports page of the times sitting on the crossbar. He dislocated his elbow and suffered some kind of nerve damage and I remember him discussing the suit. I don't know what became of it though. The next season I remember that police officers were positioned under the goalposts immediately following any game. This was a long time ago, but I can't see the university ever allowing it again after that.

Man I'm still looking for that footage of that 2000 game vs Rice and I remember Teicher's call of that particular game which I did not attend. Maybe MinersWon has it?

I remember the last time the goalposts were torn down in 2000. At least two people who were on the goalposts when they fell filed lawsuits. I knew one of them personally. There was a actually a picture in the sports page of the times sitting on the crossbar. He dislocated his elbow and suffered some kind of nerve damage and I remember him discussing the suit. I don't know what became of it though. The next season I remember that police officers were positioned under the goalposts immediately following any game. This was a long time ago, but I can't see the university ever allowing it again after that.
He should be in jail then for a frivilous lawsuit. Just my 2 cents.

We lost even more Oline guys and have another true freshman starting at LT. Im reallly hoping im wrong but if we get down 2 scores i doubt we are coming back against this defense

Reactions: EPTUTEP
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT