ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

The problem is, nobody has the answer and you can’t please everyone. While to you and me, shutting down fall classes in mid-May seems extreme, look at the bright side. Parents and students can look into other options if online does not work for them. Much better than canceling in August and being stuck with whatever they decide is best.

No matter what, someone has to try opening their state and see how it goes for the rest of us. We may not agree and most of us want to see college and pro football this year, this is just the way it is. It sucks. At least we will have a playbook for future pandemics.

I also am selfishly optimistic.

1. I am a football coach and my team is going to be pretty good again.

2. It's my son's Senior Year and the last year he'll play for me.

3. Without Football season my income will be substantially lower.
This kind of stuff makes me sad. Hopefully we play a full schedule and you and your son have a memorable season.

But then again what the heck do I know?

"With a number of universities, including Oklahoma and Ohio State, having already canceled on-campus summer classes, and anywhere from a four- to eight-week period needed for student-athletes to get fully conditioned to be prepared to play, it seems virtually impossible that the season could start Aug. 29.

If the season is delayed, 61 percent of the athletic directors think it would start in October or November, with 41 percent believing it would be a 12-game season, and 20 percent predicting an eight- or nine-game conference-only schedule.

Also, 14 percent of the athletic directors believe the season will not start until after the Christmas holiday break, beginning in either late January or February during the spring semester.

“Spring gives us the best chance to have a full season,” a Power Five AD said. “It’s been hard for many to process this, but the longer this goes, the more this will become the best option.”

There would be many challenges with a spring season, including:

• Projected first-round NFL Draft picks, such as Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence, potentially opting not to play in a college football season that doesn’t end until weeks after the NFL Draft
  • only a two- or three-month break before the 2021 season begins
  • the overlapping of recruiting calendar/signing days
  • eligibility and/or Academic Progress Rate (APR) issues
  • injury concerns.
But those problems can — and will — be dealt with in order to get football played.

“We have to do everything we can to get 12 games in,” a Group of Five AD said."

F poor little Trevor Lawrence and his draft options. Seriously, you college beat writers?! This is every corner of the country and planet. Screw if they play or not!

https://watchstadium.com/99-percent...have-college-football-this-season-04-21-2020/

You're mad at the writers? All they're doing is reporting what the ADs and coaches are saying. In that particular piece, it's an AD who says, the season will happen one way or another.

You're mad at the writers? All they're doing is reporting what the ADs and coaches are saying. In that particular piece, it's an AD who says, the season will happen one way or another.
Wow. Ummmm, that's why I stated "what do I know?".

Thanks Mr. Obvious

It's very possible that most cusa schools open and play football while El Paso and UTEP remain shutdown. Hopefully not.

It's very possible that most cusa schools open and play football while El Paso and UTEP remain shutdown. Hopefully not.

Not a chance in hell. Texas will stay open no matter how bad it gets. President Wilson was a Republican member of Congress, served in the Trump administration. She was also one of only 14 college presidents on a conference call about reopening with The Vice President.

Reactions: JCorona
Not a chance in hell. Texas will stay open no matter how bad it gets. President Wilson was a Republican member of Congress, served in the Trump administration. She was also one of only 14 college presidents on a conference call about reopening with The Vice President.

You gonna answer the bet?

I am not touching the UTEP homes games if they paid me a million dollars and did a cargo plane drop of 90 proof alcohol on the DHC and Sun Bowl. The "Cytokine Storm" caused by Covid19 scares the beejesus out of me; and I certainly don't want to be a carrier until vaccines and/or sufficient treatments are released. A buddy of mine ran the local Saturday numbers from EP City/County Health and estimated there is a one percent some one from El Paso will get the virus. That's high enough for this pendejo.

A buddy of mine ran the local Saturday numbers from EP City/County Health and estimated there is a one percent some one from El Paso will get the virus. That's high enough for this pendejo.

One percent is about 7,000. With the death rate at about 3% that is 210 people. There were about 70 traffic fatalities last year in El Paso. I assume you don't drive because you might die in a car wreck?

I am not touching the UTEP homes games if they paid me a million dollars and did a cargo plane drop of 90 proof alcohol on the DHC and Sun Bowl. The "Cytokine Storm" caused by Covid19 scares the beejesus out of me; and I certainly don't want to be a carrier until vaccines and/or sufficient treatments are released. A buddy of mine ran the local Saturday numbers from EP City/County Health and estimated there is a one percent some one from El Paso will get the virus. That's high enough for this pendejo.

Unfortunately this a 100% percent political issue now. Republicans will use reopening to try to stem the blue wave. It's coming the only question is will there be a democratic Senate with to join president biden and democratic house. I would say this this will be intriguing to watch, but intriguing is the wrong word when people will inevitably die. Not having a sanctioning body running fbs football is going to create chaos. As the weeks go on I think there is better than a 50% chance there will be fans at games in the fall across a large swath of the country.

You gonna answer the bet?

I thought the original bet was weather we would play or not. The way you worded in your response was that is any game from the schedule is changed you win. That will surely happen I do think there is a very high likely hood of playing two home in homes in the conference schedule when its decided next month. What's the bet that we play or that the schedule remains 100% intact?

I thought the original bet was weather we would play or not. The way you worded in your response was that is any game from the schedule is changed you win. That will surely happen I do think there is a very high likely hood of playing two home in homes in the conference schedule when its decided next month. What's the bet that we play or that the schedule remains 100% intact?

You said “only the Reno game is in doubt”. That’s what I am betting. That only the Nevada game will be changed, that’s what you said. It’s in the first couple of replies.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Unihorn! You disappear for a few days and then come back guns a blazin’. Rapid fire. I think you voiced on each of the 6 threads I just looked at.

Lockdown blues?

Unfortunately this a 100% percent political issue now. Republicans will use reopening to try to stem the blue wave. It's coming the only question is will there be a democratic Senate with to join president biden and democratic house. I would say this this will be intriguing to watch, but intriguing is the wrong word when people will inevitably die. Not having a sanctioning body running fbs football is going to create chaos. As the weeks go on I think there is better than a 50% chance there will be fans at games in the fall across a large swath of the country.
Sorry Utep, not buying season tickets this year. Coronavirus one reason but the main

Or fund a new sport:D

Some big name and wealthy schools are making temporary adjustments financially due to the virus situation. I think it's to be expected that our football teams travel will be modified this year if our team plays at all. The home and home you mention would be very smart for one year. The nfl model of playing division rivals twice per season would really help UTEP reduce travel expenses.

Some big name and wealthy schools are making temporary adjustments financially due to the virus situation. I think it's to be expected that our football teams travel will be modified this year if our team plays at all. The home and home you mention would be very smart for one year. The nfl model of playing division rivals twice per season would really help UTEP reduce travel expenses.

If the NCAA or schools are going to look into modifying their travel and schedule they probably should be doing that now because it seems like with states deciding whether or not sporting events take place it looks like there is no singular plan as to what is going to take place. Maybe some states or academic institutions decide to cancel their seasons, that could lead to a lot of scrambling at the last minute.

If the NCAA or schools are going to look into modifying their travel and schedule they probably should be doing that now because it seems like with states deciding whether or not sporting events take place it looks like there is no singular plan as to what is going to take place. Maybe some states or academic institutions decide to cancel their seasons, that could lead to a lot of scrambling at the last minute.
True enough. Our AD is part of the committee looking into these issues for CUSA. That committee is supposed to complete their work by this Friday and submit their recommendations to the conference admins in early June.

You said “only the Reno game is in doubt”. That’s what I am betting. That only the Nevada game will be changed, that’s what you said. It’s in the first couple of replies.

I'm good with the bet we will play UT-Austin, Texas Tech NMSU and 8 conference games.

""But if you want a prediction, my prediction is yes, we are gonna have college football beginning as scheduled ... with at least some level of fans in stands," Abbott said."

My question, or bet, is this: If Dimel underachieves again, does Covid-19 provide him any cover? Year one was massive injuries which was a legit excuse for the second half of season, last year was the loss of UTEP and top 5 CUSA rb Wadley.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
""But if you want a prediction, my prediction is yes, we are gonna have college football beginning as scheduled ... with at least some level of fans in stands," Abbott said."

My question, or bet, is this: If Dimel underachieves again, does Covid-19 provide him any cover? Year one was massive injuries which was a legit excuse for the second half of season, last year was the loss of UTEP and top 5 CUSA rb Wadley.

Its shouldn't. However, Senter will use it as cover to give him another year.

Its shouldn't. However, Senter will use it as cover to give him another year.
Probably but the only thing the pandemic should provide cover for is attendance. If no solid progress Dimel should be gone but buyout money will be even more scarce due to even lower attendance. That's a built in excuse right there.

Probably but the only thing the pandemic should provide cover for is attendance. If no solid progress Dimel should be gone but buyout money will be even more scarce due to even lower attendance. That's a built in excuse right there.
UTEP's first game will be a pachanga and Tech will be in town.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT