ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

I don't get it. Respiratory failure is much more common and much more deadly than myocarditis. Where is the pulmonologist/intensivist that spoke to the Big 12?

I mean if they choose to play then play, but stop trying to make it sound like its all good now because the risk of myocarditis is low on their age group. That's not even one of the main complications.

Why would any conference look like idiots for having taken decisive action to prevent players from potentially dying based on information known at the time?

In the grand scheme of things, really no different than a player possibly dying in practice or in a game. I think that most players would survive a COVID infection pretty well.

In the grand scheme of things, really no different than a player possibly dying in practice or in a game. I think that most players would survive a COVID infection pretty well.
I would say thats a little bit different. The injury risks with football are inherently understood.

I do agree a large majority of college age kids and athletes will be ok if they get COVID, but it really only takes one to die. Obese patients have a worse prognosis when respirstory failure sets in. Obese lineman will be at higher risk.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Hijole, man. We're going to have to agree to disagree here.

Understandable. Even if a player dies, how is anyone going to be able to tell he got it from tackling XXX player on Rice. These college dudes aren’t known to be the smartest guys on the planet at times.

I would say thats a little bit different. The injury risks with football are inherently understood.

I do agree a large majority of college age kids and athletes will be ok if they get COVID, but it really only takes one to die. Obese patients have a worse prognosis when respirstory failure sets in. Obese lineman will be at higher risk.

Yes, it is different. To let it be known; I am not anti-mask and I don’t think COVID is “like the flu”, I am just saying, how are we going to be able to say with 100% certainty a player died from contracting it during a football game?

Is it true that African American players will be at a greater risk of infection and complications?

Is it true that African American players will be at a greater risk of infection and complications?
Not that I have heard specifically. African Americans due have a higher risk for certain common co-morbidities, but those normally wouldn't have presented yet at a younger age.

Reactions: JCorona
Hmmmm. This is getting very interesting. Basically if this passes then any senior player can come back next year? Football and Mens/Women's basketball

The tweet says fall sports. Basketball is considered a winter sport, and the new season hasn't been affected yet. Not saying it won't be, but wouldn't lump it in just yet.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The tweet says fall sports. Basketball is considered a winter sport, and the new season hasn't been affected yet. Not saying it won't be, but wouldn't lump it in just yet.
I didn't realize that. I guess it is football, soccer and volleyball then. Are there any other significant 'winter' sports other than basketball?

I guess we just have to wait and see how things pan out. I don't forsee any significant changes in regards to a COVID vaccine between now and Nov-Dec. Only seems fair to include basketball since the season was cut off at the end in March and this season may be delayed or require significant changes.

Only seems fair to include basketball since the season was cut off at the end in March and this season may be delayed or require significant changes.

Maybe. It sucks that the tournaments were wiped out, but there was still a full season. Should someone get a full year of eligibility and a scholarship because they maybe missed a couple of postseason games?

For this season, I'm hopeful that a vaccine, improved treatment/testing and possible bubble environment will give us a semblance of a normal season.

Maybe. It sucks that the tournaments were wiped out, but there was still a full season. Should someone get a full year of eligibility and a scholarship because they maybe missed a couple of postseason games?
No not for last season. I'm talking about this upcoming season (just like football). Just saying that missing the post season in March should be considered when they decide on possibly retaining eligibility for this upcoming year.

Vaccine takes 12-18 months

We are only about 6 weeks away from the normal start of basketball practice. The season will be effected.

I don’t get the criticism of stating that we are only playing for money. Of course they are only playing for money! UTEP has hundreds of employee’s with families that need to get pay checks. Moving all non-revenue producing events to either the spring or on-line(like graduation and non-revenue generating sports) and keeping only the one sport that can actually pay bills alive, seems like the smart and disciplined thing to do. Anybody who is criticizing that, doesn’t realize how the real world works. IMO.

I don’t get the criticism of stating that we are only playing for money. Of course they are only playing for money! UTEP has hundreds of employee’s with families that need to get pay checks. Moving all non-revenue producing events to either the spring or on-line(like graduation and non-revenue generating sports) and keeping only the one sport that can actually pay bills alive, seems like the smart and disciplined thing to do. Anybody who is criticizing that, doesn’t realize how the real world works. IMO.

The coaches, trainers, etc. won't get paid if UTEP doesn't play football?

Already in trouble for the MWC

It's been some time since I've posted. I always follow the threads and get the best info about my beloved Miner's here. I was digging through some old shirts and deciding their worth when I ran across this one..

I remember some Austin fan gathering gs we has back in the day and specifically remember meeting Austintacious over at what is now Bender Bar on Ben White maybe back in 2006 or so. Go Miners!

Reactions: JCorona
Colleges having outbreaks as schools let students on campus? If UTEP pulls this off Dimel will get an extension with a 2 win record.
With our luck, the ncaa will force the other schools to forfeit if they can't take the field and Dimmel will end up with a winning record

With our luck, the ncaa will force the other schools to forfeit if they can't take the field and Dimmel will end up with a winning record
That is a realistic possibility.

Look, in all seriousness, I am happy to see Senter and Dimel attack this reality. Dimel did say its tough as hell but appears to be getting it done, so I will give him that. As stated days ago, UTEP must have funds because they did get two FCS schools to fill in but that is a debate for another thread topic.

Come end of season, if it happens, I want Dimel to say on the radio "you all wanted for me to be left out to pasture but I got six wins, on the field, and a bowl invite. F U", this includes yours truly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT