ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't have a football season

IMO this says a lot. Foster and De La Vega weren’t mentioned in the original press release when this project was announced. Senter tried to blame the delay on other construction projects in the city but now the truth comes out. He hadn’t secured the funds to complete the project. Thankfully Foster and his wife rescued his ass cuz he was about to look like the clown he is.
You may be right, but what I meant was maybe some of that money is intended to help bail us out from this season too.

You may be right, but what I meant was maybe some of that money is intended to help bail us out from this season too.
I don’t think so. This money saved Senter’s butt from a major embarrassment.

Which brings me to another thought.

When repairing an old car with a bad engine, what’s more important the engine or the outside paint job?

It seems to me that if he focused on fixing the football team (the engine of the AD) instead of the exterior of the Sun Bowl we wouldn’t be wondering if we can beat Abiline Christian in year 3. Imagine the type of coaching staff we could have hired if he had focused on fundraising 5 million for their salary?

I don’t think so. This money saved Senter’s butt from a major embarrassment.

Which brings me to another thought.

When repairing an old car with a bad engine, what’s more important the engine or the outside paint job?

It seems to me that if he focused on fixing the football team (the engine of the AD) instead of the exterior of the Sun Bowl we wouldn’t be wondering if we can beat Abiline Christian in year 3. Imagine the type of coaching staff we could have hired if he had focused on fundraising 5 million for their salary?
Yep. If I remember correctly Foster was on the board that approved the Wilson hire. I hope he continues to stay involved. I'm sure he doesn't want empty seats given his new investment. There may be some changes soon

Last edited:

who’s going to watch the Sun Bowl in May? Hope it’s played at 7pm. Not like they’re getting any money from car rental taxes anyway.

Rumor mills the last six hours: SEC says they will play if Big XII votes to play.

BIG XII: "We're on"

[CUSA]: "C'mon on over here! We don't want to play with ourselves!! Water's fine and we told the senior citizens to stay home."

Reactions: FarWestTexas
The quote should read if Texas plays us this season our season continues. I can assure you if we do not play the Texas Longhorns we do not play football. Would we burn money to an empty stadium every week?

I am eager to see if we are able to make up those non conference games. Hey maybe we can bring in more money if we can take on a road game somewhere. Or schedule some sub level opponents in El Paso.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
The quote should read if Texas plays us this season our season continues. I can assure you if we do not play the Texas Longhorns we do not play football. Would we burn money to an empty stadium every week?

I am eager to see if we are able to make up those non conference games. Hey maybe we can bring in more money if we can take on a road game somewhere. Or schedule some sub level opponents in El Paso.

Correct. Without the UT game, the season is worthless, especially if no fans are allowed in El Paso.

Unless CUSA is getting ESPN/ABC/CBS games, there is no point of playing in front of 100 people on ESPN+

NYB payouts make it worth it to play. With less G5 teams competing there’s a better chance a cusa team sneaks in there. Less teams and less conferences should equal bigger payouts to the participating conference members. There’s also the payouts from our tv deal. Our entire existence doesn’t depend on Texas.

Careful there, Mr. ECM17. I'm not sure that even local high schools would be "sub level opponents" with the current state of UTEP football.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
NYB payouts make it worth it to play. With less G5 teams competing there’s a better chance a cusa team sneaks in there. Less teams and less conferences should equal bigger payouts to the participating conference members. There’s also the payouts from our tv deal. Our entire existence doesn’t depend on Texas.

You’re assuming they will play the bowls as is. They’re not taking a 11-1 CUSA team over a 8-2 Non-Champ Big 12 team.

The CUSA TV deal pays $400,000 per year. That’s $1,000,000 less than just 1 game vs UT.

You’re sadly mistaken thinking UTEP will be raking in significant money if the season continues this way.

You’re assuming they will play the bowls as is. They’re not taking a 11-1 CUSA team over a 8-2 Non-Champ Big 12 team.

The CUSA TV deal pays $400,000 per year. That’s $1,000,000 less than just 1 game vs UT.

You’re sadly mistaken thinking UTEP will be raking in significant money if the season continues this way.
The G5 has their own access spot. We’re not competing with the big 12 for it only with other g5 teams, which at the moment is g3.

I don’t recall saying we’re going to rake in money. We never do even with a full season.

We don’t know how the tv contract will work this year. It could all be renegotiated with the teams that are participating.

The G5 has their own access spot. We’re not competing with the big 12 for it only with other g5 teams, which at the moment is g3.

I don’t recall saying we’re going to rake in money. We never do even with a full season.

We don’t know how the tv contract will work this year. It could all be renegotiated with the teams that are participating.

Yes the G5 had their own access spot and if you go back to the BCS system, no CUSA team has EVER made a BCS/G5 bowl. I’m 99% sure, this year will be no different. The AAC will get it, if there’s a “full season”.

While there may be some changes to the TV contract, ratings have shown that viewers aren’t just tuning into any sport. I seriously doubt a UTSA vs Rice game on CBS would draw close to the ratings a SEC game would get.

Reactions: EastCoastMiner17
Yes the G5 had their own access spot and if you go back to the BCS system, no CUSA team has EVER made a BCS/G5 bowl. I’m 99% sure, this year will be no different. The AAC will get it, if there’s a “full season”.

While there may be some changes to the TV contract, ratings have shown that viewers aren’t just tuning into any sport. I seriously doubt a UTSA vs Rice game on CBS would draw close to the ratings a SEC game would get.
Right that’s why I said with less g5 teams playing there’s greater chance of sneaking in. Even if we don’t we would still split the pie 3 ways instead of 5. And our part would be split into 13 instead of 14. Last season their was a collective pool of 90 million for the G5. If it’s similar this year and we split it like mentioned above there’s a good possibility of making a good chunk of change.

As far as the tv deal there’s so much unknown. If we play there could be a demand for us. We could take the MAC spots and play Tuesday and Wednesday night. It’s not like it’s going to matter since fans won’t attend. There’s another possibility to make some extra coin this season.

All I know is that if there’s a way there’s a will. I’m glad UTEP isn’t sitting around with their arms crossed thinking “gee if Texas don’t play us let’s not even play.” We can survive.

Right that’s why I said with less g5 teams playing there’s greater chance of sneaking in. Even if we don’t we would still split the pie 3 ways instead of 5. And our part would be split into 13 instead of 14. Last season their was a collective pool of 90 million for the G5. If it’s similar this year and we split it like mentioned above there’s a good possibility of making a good chunk of change.

As far as the tv deal there’s so much unknown. If we play there could be a demand for us. We could take the MAC spots and play Tuesday and Wednesday night. It’s not like it’s going to matter since fans won’t attend. There’s another possibility to make some extra coin this season.

All I know is that if there’s a way there’s a will. I’m glad UTEP isn’t sitting around with their arms crossed thinking “gee if Texas don’t play us let’s not even play.” We can survive.

Again, you’re assuming money will be the same for 75 teams versus 130 team season. Say the Cotton Bowl averages $75 a ticket and they sell 70,000 tickets. That’s $5,000,000 missing right off the bat. Plus no concessions, parking, etc. Why would you believe most bowls will go on like they did last season? Less teams = less bowls and less money. There is no way money will go up.

As I have stated for months, UTEP and everyone else will be lucky to complete 2 games. Just because UTEP is saying “100%” right now, doesn’t mean they will be there tomorrow.

If you’re Senter, you probably budgeted quite a bit of money on the UT, Tech, and NMSU games. Tech is gone, NMSU is likely worthless now, you need that UT game. If UT doesn’t happen, UTEPs entire athletic budget is shot, if it’s not already!

Again, you’re assuming money will be the same for 75 teams versus 130 team season. Say the Cotton Bowl averages $75 a ticket and they sell 70,000 tickets. That’s $5,000,000 missing right off the bat. Plus no concessions, parking, etc. Why would you believe most bowls will go on like they did last season? Less teams = less bowls and less money. There is no way money will go up.

As I have stated for months, UTEP and everyone else will be lucky to complete 2 games. Just because UTEP is saying “100%” right now, doesn’t mean they will be there tomorrow.

If you’re Senter, you probably budgeted quite a bit of money on the UT, Tech, and NMSU games. Tech is gone, NMSU is likely worthless now, you need that UT game. If UT doesn’t happen, UTEPs entire athletic budget is shot, if it’s not already!
It’s all dependent on a renegotiated tv deal. The potential for massive tv ratings is there this season. I’m only counting on the major NYB playing this year. Texas is on the hook. If they play and don’t play us we should still get our check. If they don’t play then that means no one is playing.

It was only a matter of time. Being independent hurt them a lot this year.

After UMass, UConn, and UNM shut it down, not much they had left. In the end, it’s not if, but when UTEP joins them.

Unless BYU strikes a deal with a conference, they will be shutting it down too.
Maybe. For now we have Texas and 8 conference games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT