ADVERTISEMENT

If you're a "Fire Floyd" person your opinion means nothing UNLESS...

JudenSmithFan

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2004
... unless you name who you would replace him with and it's a realistic possibility. The fact of the matter is, no matter what you all think of Floyd's performance, it's extraordinarily unlikely that UTEP would be able to replace him with a better coach. So those of you who want to run around firing somebody every time a player misses a shot, put your money where your mouth is. Tell us who you would hire that's better. Otherwise your opinion is less than worthless.

Brad underwood from SFA would be a homerun. Sadly i dont know if he would leave SFA for UTEP and he probably will get several good big time offers.

Steve Maciello head coach of Manhattan. He cleaned up his resume debacle. He's a big time coach, would be excellent hire.

This post was edited on 3/13 7:20 PM by Minerforlife

I would take any up and coming assistant coach to replace him. They are out there and are itching to get their first head coaching job. I would rather be a revolving door and go to the Big Dance on a consistent basis than not go at all.

You're betting on the up and comer that can have a winning record and get you to the big dance???
Dream on, loser.

So long as Tim Floyd brings in 20+ win seasons (this year: 22-10) - he won't be going unless it's his choosing.
And if that makes you miserable - good! all the better!!

Wow, OP! CTF has brought only mediocrity to UTEP and you appear willing to accept that as UTEP's fate. From TF himself, this was supposed to be the best Miner team since he's been here. Why should a fan base be accepting of a coach who earns more than any other coach in CUSA, has head coaching experienced assistants, has the highest recruiting budget in CUSA, yet has really nothing to show for it in the 19th ranked conference in cbb? To each their own, but how can you blame those that want change?

Originally posted by UTEPy79:

So long as Tim Floyd brings in 20+ win seasons (this year: 22-10) - he won't be going unless it's his choosing.
If you're happy 0 postseason wins and 0 trips to the Big Dance in 5 years, then so be it. Most of us here want more and won't settle for mediocrity.

Originally posted by tbleslie:
Wow, OP! CTF has brought only mediocrity to UTEP and you appear willing to accept that as UTEP's fate. From TF himself, this was supposed to be the best Miner team since he's been here. Why should a fan base be accepting of a coach who earns more than any other coach in CUSA, has head coaching experienced assistants, has the highest recruiting budget in CUSA, yet has really nothing to show for it in the 19th ranked conference in cbb? To each their own, but how can you blame those that want change?
That's the problem with some UTEP fans. Looks at the posts here. The people who won't settle for mediocrity are the ones coming off as bad people and are called names. It's time for Floyd to go. Hire an up and coming assistant coach that really wants to be a head coach, give him 5 years, and see how he does. I don't care if he bails after one or two seasons, I'm just tired of not going to the Big Dance.

Originally posted by El Paso Chihuahuas:

Originally posted by UTEPy79:

If you're happy 0 postseason wins and 0 trips to the Big Dance in 5 years, then so be it. Most of us here want more and won't settle for mediocrity.
According to the TF apologists, next year will be the year. If not next year, then the year after...

Originally posted by minerdelic:
This. You guys just hammer EP Chih and he just states facts. Hilarious.
I'm like somebody who works for Fox News.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

It is not about who you replace Coach Floyd with. It is about how you pay for the new coach and Coach Floyd. That is why we never dropped Mike Price. I am still on the Coach Floyd bandwagon however.

Thats the problem the boosters see 20+ wins a success in a conference that is a one bid league. 20+ wins in this conference is a guarantee, boosters need to look at success in a different light. A successful season should be viewed as conference regular season title, tournament title, or NCAA bid. Those goals are not unrealistic for a program like UTEP, nobody is asking for an NCAA championship. Floyd needs to sit down and reevaluate what he is doing at UTEP because it has not worked. What a disappointment

GO MINERS!

Billie G has money from his settlement with UK. I feel like he would not blow his last chance. Write it into his contract that he can't drink and must be in AA. We're set. He might also never leave.

The problem with BILLY G is...

The problem with Billy G is what kind of parent will let their son play for him? He's a proven drunk. I agree he's sober now but his reputation is tarnished around the country. Maybe if he "finds Jesus" and works that angle, but I don't see that happening.

Re: The problem with BILLY G is...

Originally posted by East Coast Miner Fan:
The problem with Billy G is what kind of parent will let their son play for him? He's a proven drunk. I agree he's sober now but his reputation is tarnished around the country. Maybe if he "finds Jesus" and works that angle, but I don't see that happening.
Get the band back together. What is Sergio Rouca doing these days?

Re: The problem with BILLY G is...

Originally posted by MistaBinks:
Originally posted by East Coast Miner Fan:
Get the band back together. What is Sergio Rouca doing these days?
An assistant at USF.

Oh please JSF. How is your opinion that Floyd is the greatest coach UTEP could ever hope for any more valid than those that may want him gone? It's a freaking message board. All people do is give opinions.

This post was edited on 3/13 9:14 PM by Lucaminer

put him with Fili and you have 40% of the PR Nat Team

We should just recruit PRicans. Maybe we would have more success....and possibly a baseball program.

Originally posted by JudenSmithFan:
... unless you name who you would replace him with and it's a realistic possibility. The fact of the matter is, no matter what you all think of Floyd's performance, it's extraordinarily unlikely that UTEP would be able to replace him with a better coach. So those of you who want to run around firing somebody every time a player misses a shot, put your money where your mouth is. Tell us who you would hire that's better. Otherwise your opinion is less than worthless.
Funny, cause I heard this same ol' garbage when Mike Price was coach. In fact, those threads sounded like your post almost verbatim.

I'll bet a million dollars that nobody would have "named" Kug as a replacement for CMP in any of those past threads, yet here we have him as a coach and a winning season after two years to boot! Essentially, that makes your whole post completely void insight or respectability.

Nobody has to name a replacement for CTF to bear credence to their opinion. Finding a replacement relies solely on old Bob himself. If he can get a quality football coach to UTEP (a giant feat), then I have no doubt he can replace CTF with someone of worth....

Um, Kugler still hasn't done much yet. We're glad to have him but his first two years don't compare with what Price did his first years. Kugler was blessed by not having any real injury issues his second year. There was only one notable injury and that was to an offensive lineman the second to last game. If the defense had been hit by only a few injuries it would have returned to the previous year's Origami defense, it just kept folding. I think Floyd has been doing a tremendous coaching job with the talent and depth he has built. I think the biggest bad break he's had to work with was losing Moore last year. I think Moore with this year's roster would have been very special. But how do you forecast a freshman being influenced by some other numbnuts?

This is the same old crap that the same people were spewing when we were calling for Mike Price's head. After 4 losing seasons in a row, it was next year. Then after 5 it was next year, then 6, then finally after 7, he did us a favor and resigned since the same people on here still wanted him to stay.

While the same people on this board kept crying, "Who is going to replace Price? No one wants to come here for the money we pay our coaches. There is no better alternative."

And that is exactly why our basketball team is headed exactly in the same direction. People want to accept mediocrity on here. They are happy where we are because we won 20 games. Wow, and we wouldn't even have won the weak WAC. We would have finished second there. Of course if we were in a better conference we would have better recruits and would win more games and be dancing every year. (deep sarcasm). We can't even win the 19th best conference, how is one ever to believe that we would compete in a better conference. And especially not with the coaching that these players are getting. If it not Floyd's fault, then you are putting all the blame on the players. Well, who recruited these players?

El Paso, stop settling for mediocrity. The city council seems to resist change, are you guys the same people on that city council, because it sounds one and the same.

What is even funnier is El Paso Fan's post saying Kugler hasn't done anything special. And he compares Price's first 2 years with Kugler's which is even more hilarious.

Price left Kugler with the bottom of the barrel in players. He cleaned out the cupboard and then set it afire. Kugler had absolutely nothing to work with, and led us to a bowl game. Price had all of Nord's players to work with and won with those players. He never won with his own, and Kugler showed he was head and shoulders a better coach than Price because he was able to win with Price's players, where Price couldn't. And Kugler's hands were basically tied as he had to play the cards that he was dealt, and yet he still takes us to a bowl game.

Seven straight losing seasons Is in the record books. How many other schools have had a coach that has had seven losing seasons in a row. I would like to know. Yes, Floyd is not having losing seasons, but to the standards that El Paso and UTEP should hold him to, as our history is nothing to sneer at, he is basically doing the equivalent.
This post was edited on 3/13 11:41 PM by Rocketsr

Originally posted by El Paso Fan:
Um, Kugler still hasn't done much yet. We're glad to have him but his first two years don't compare with what Price did his first years. Kugler was blessed by not having any real injury issues his second year. There was only one notable injury and that was to an offensive lineman the second to last game. If the defense had been hit by only a few injuries it would have returned to the previous year's Origami defense, it just kept folding. I think Floyd has been doing a tremendous coaching job with the talent and depth he has built. I think the biggest bad break he's had to work with was losing Moore last year. I think Moore with this year's roster would have been very special. But how do you forecast a freshman being influenced by some other numbnuts?
Kugler turned a 2-10 team into a 7-5 team in one year with a terrible recruiting class. That, in my mind, is doing a LOT. I don't know what will happen next year, but last year was an example of using shear fundamental excellence to counter the lack of individual "talent" we had.

I've seen enough of Kug in two years to be impressed....

Price left Kugler with players who fought toe to toe with Wisconsin, Oklahoma and other good teams but were eventually undone by lack of depth as seasons wore on. I still remember when the team offense was being spotlighted for Donald Buckram and a large talented line he was going to be running behind. Buckram was gone before the first game and that offensive line was gone by mid season and we finished the season playing with a fourth string center. Twice the defense was touted for a great player who was going to be a sure NFL draft pick. Both players were gone by the second game. Smart guys like Rocketstr were always quick to point that the team had quit on Price or that he couldn't coach. Price always struggled to find a defensive scheme and coordinator that could complement his offense with the players we could get, but he didn't find that till the end of his tenure. Price was able to bring in players with size and ability that UTEP never had before but he could never get enough of them to come to El Paso. He kept finishing seasons with a lot of filler material. Kugler had nothing to work with because his pride told him he didn't have to coach people who required any personnel development or required any real work to help grow as young men. His second season he won 6 games against teams with losing records and that was with a team that was able to stay healthy. So it's still early to say how he will do in the coming seasons and he will deal with the breaks he gets as all coaches do. We all hope for the best. Floyd has done the best with the breaks that he has gotten and I still think that he will bring us good seasons that fans will enjoy.

Originally posted by El Paso Fan:
Price left Kugler with players who fought toe to toe with Wisconsin, Oklahoma and other good teams but were eventually undone by lack of depth as seasons wore on. I still remember when the team offense was being spotlighted for Donald Buckram and a large talented line he was going to be running behind. Buckram was gone before the first game and that offensive line was gone by mid season and we finished the season playing with a fourth string center. Twice the defense was touted for a great player who was going to be a sure NFL draft pick. Both players were gone by the second game. Smart guys like Rocketstr were always quick to point that the team had quit on Price or that he couldn't coach. Price always struggled to find a defensive scheme and coordinator that could complement his offense with the players we could get, but he didn't find that till the end of his tenure. Price was able to bring in players with size and ability that UTEP never had before but he could never get enough of them to come to El Paso. He kept finishing seasons with a lot of filler material. Kugler had nothing to work with because his pride told him he didn't have to coach people who required any personnel development or required any real work to help grow as young men. His second season he won 6 games against teams with losing records and that was with a team that was able to stay healthy. So it's still early to say how he will do in the coming seasons and he will deal with the breaks he gets as all coaches do. We all hope for the best. Floyd has done the best with the breaks that he has gotten and I still think that he will bring us good seasons that fans will enjoy.
This has to be the single dumbest thing ive ever read. Under Price the inmates ran the asylum. When Kugler came in he had to get rid of thirty three scholarship players. Under Mike Price we had seven straight losing seasons and there was a rampant drug problem. The guys also werent going to class we had a a terrible apr the worst in the country. The guys werent winning they was a rampant drug abuse and they didnt go to class. We had seven straight liaing seasons. The team you you trumpeeted that went toe to toe with Oklahoma was 3-9. On several occasions price's teams quit. To say UTEP football was a dumpster fire is an understatement. What Kugler has done is nothing short of remarkable. Not only is he winning but he has totally turned around our apr score to one of the best in the country. The team is poised to win conference this year and shatter the school record for wins something a price coached team could never dream of. Thank god for sean Kugler.

I sure wish everyone in El Paso felt the same as you do. But they haven't bought into Kugler or his brand of football, even the student sections were empty last year. But then everyone in El Paso is dumb, even me.

How about Bobby Hurley, the current head coach at Buffalo and former Duke player? His team won the MAC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT