ADVERTISEMENT

Is there any chance that we will make a conference move and if so

MWC would be the only destination for UTEP. Stull already turned them done once. I hope an invite opens up, but I'm not holding my breath.

The problem is if UTEP can't win CUSA, I don't think they could win the Mountain West. A 27 win Colorado State team didn't even get in, so unless UTEP can win the big games out of conference and do well in conference, they won't get in.

This post was edited on 3/16 10:06 PM by El Paso Chihuahuas

I would say unless UTEP gets rid of football or we move down to I-AA, I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done until the next shake out .......which probably will be good for the not so great non-bcs conferences as the Big Boy Conferences will probably merge into 4 with the Championship coming from those and the remainder of the Division I football conferences staying behind and twiddling their thumbs.......

Paying players will be the what separates the Cartel from the rest and should create a new division.....that would be good for UTEP in my opinion....no way it can compete with the Cartel....crazy budgets and money.....

UT claims it is underwater with their $160 million budget and have now implemented a fee per seat on top of the ticket prices....the fees are from a minimum of $150 to a max of $5000 per seat...there are grandfathered seats; however, I don't see how anyone can afford the tickets along with the seat fees.....The reasoning was the anticipation of increased costs and a stipend expected for the athletes....

Unless you pay the new seat fee, you can't sell your tickets online or risk being kicked out of your seats after an initial warning........

I hope they extend an invitation too. They did get 3 teams in though and the conference is a heck of a lot better top to bottom than CUSA. The Florida schools really kill us the most ... Maybe they can get an invite somewhere lol.

This post was edited on 3/16 10:04 PM by Tucson_Miner

Its very complicated. Stull turned down the MWC twice i dont know if he has comoletely burned that bridge. Right now there is no spot. Hawaii will not drop football the state and pivate donors will continue to subsidize the program. The big question mark is San Diego State. The Chargers are on the way to LA. Qualcomm stadium is in serious disrepair and cost the city 70 million a year to maintain. Without the Chargers as a tennant the city will tear down Qualcomm and sell it to a developer who will build condos on the site. That leaves sdsu with no stadium unless the padres let them rent petco which is doubtful. I still think The MWC is a very likely destination and if they can convince BYU to come back we would get an immediate invite. BYU is the domino everyone is waiting for to fall.

Another option that is overlooked is the AAC. Mike Aresco is their commisioner. He is the former president of CBS sports and is looking to improve the AAC's bowl portfolio. He covets the Sun Bowl and knows it well from his days at CBS. He knows the only way to get the Sun Bowl is to invite UTEP. There have been back chanel communications between Stull and Aresco. The problem is they want a western school to come with UTEP and the school they covet is BYU. I think it is much more likely BYU goes back to the MWC and not to the AAC because the MWC is much more stable. In the end though Aresco wants UTEP and the Sun bowl and i think he will find a way to get it done.

Originally posted by centex-miner:
I would say unless UTEP gets rid of football or we move down to I-AA, I don't think there is a whole lot that can be done until the next shake out .......which probably will be good for the not so great non-bcs conferences as the Big Boy Conferences will probably merge into 4 with the Championship coming from those and the remainder of the Division I football conferences staying behind and twiddling their thumbs.......

Paying players will be the what separates the Cartel from the rest and should create a new division.....that would be good for UTEP in my opinion....no way it can compete with the Cartel....crazy budgets and money.....

UT claims it is underwater with their $160 million budget and have now implemented a fee per seat on top of the ticket prices....the fees are from a minimum of $150 to a max of $5000 per seat...there are grandfathered seats; however, I don't see how anyone can afford the tickets along with the seat fees.....The reasoning was the anticipation of increased costs and a stipend expected for the athletes....

Unless you pay the new seat fee, you can't sell your tickets online or risk being kicked out of your seats after an initial warning........
I really hope you're not suggesting dropping football. There is no where for the basketball to play other than the WAC.

Originally posted by Minerforlife:

Another option that is overlooked is the AAC. Mike Aresco is their commisioner. He is the former president of CBS sports and is looking to improve the AAC's bowl portfolio. He covets the Sun Bowl and knows it well from his days at CBS. He knows the only way to get the Sun Bowl is to invite UTEP. There have been back chanel communications between Stull and Aresco. The problem is they want a western school to come with UTEP and the school they covet is BYU. I think it is much more likely BYU goes back to the MWC and not to the AAC because the MWC is much more stable. In the end though Aresco wants UTEP and the Sun bowl and i think he will find a way to get it done.
Wow, didn't know that Aresco wants UTEP in the AAC. Wouldn't mind the AAC. Playing teams like UConn would be very exciting.

The MWC bridge has been burned. Natalicio lit the fire on that sucker. It is CUSA for UTEP for the next few years. If we keep Marshall in football and La Tech makes the strides they're making, the money will come. Basketball is another story. CUSA needs to make major strides to overcome loss of Memphis.

I think we would be the most likely partner for BYU should they decide to go back to the MWC (ideal), but I think BYU has higher aspirations. We don't bring enough to them to be invited on our own merit. I was not aware of the above-mentioned AAC possibilities, that would definitely be a step up too.

UTEP turned down MWC twice. Do we need to go over the George W. Bush analogy?

Minerforlife, the best news yet.

Wow, Minerforlife, that is the best news I have heard in years. I sure hope you are right. The stars may finally be aligning for the Miners at Utepia. The sun bowl pecking order sucks anyways, and I would much rather have the AAC, if it means UTEP gets to join, than the ACC.

Originally posted by Seasonticketholder:
The Big 12 (with 10 teams) might take BYU + 1. BYU has other options besides the MWC.
BYU has no power five options. The big 12 is not an option.

Its time like these I wish I had a Time Machine and could peer into the future.

Has anyone noticed that no one wants BYU? In the land of UTEPia they make a case, but not the former FBS or d1 world of basketball. I am not saying they are not a competitive program, but who in their right mind wants to put up with their shit?
This post was edited on 3/17 12:50 AM by utep2step

All CUSA...all CUSA. Let's make the most of it. Sean Kugler can win this league because this former basketball league is putting their money in football. Football is the cash cow. That's why UTEP left the WAC.

I'm in complete disagreement on BYU wanting to join a conference again. And if they do, I don't believe it's going to be the AAC by a landslide, but that shouldn't stop the AAC from pursuing them - hard. Here's why.

BYU likes it's independent status, however, I'm guessing they see the writing on the wall with the Power Five conferences and the dollars they bring into their programs. But BYU has, technically speaking, never been about the money. Yet, even saying that, the most staunchest defender of avoiding the money and the politics that come with it, can't avoid it. The downside of being an independent is there is no such thing as an auto-bowl bid/offer. Notre Dame can get away with being an independent and the tv contract that comes with it. No disrespect to BYU, but they're not Notre Dame.

The problem for BYU is what conference, if any, do they (or can they) align themselves with? Whatever conference it is, they would have to bring a friend and herein lies the rub - is UTEP that friend? Based on fan attendance and community support, I'd say no. Winning more should change that, but even busting out this year with a much better record, didn't produce a lot of butts in seats. Damn shame.

That said, that clears any Power Five conference right off the list. That leaves the MWC and the AAC. Between the two, the MWC is the "bigger" conference. The AAC wants to match that size and would (should) move mountains to pursue BYU. Doesn't mean BYU bites, but bringing UTEP there would make sense (cause of the Sun Bowl). Having BYU, UTEP and the Sun Bowl would give the AAC a better bowl lineup - which means bigger dollars.

The MWC would be the ideal conference for BYU, but depending on who you're listening to, the UTEP-MWC bridge is burned (but can be rebuilt). The problem there is although adding BYU to the MWC would be nice, the MWC doesn't need them and in that, they certainly don't need UTEP.

All is not rosy for the MWC though. Hawaii, even with more investment in their program, is the weeble wobble on the block. If Hawaii decided to move out, that open MWC spot makes a clear path to BYU - not El Paso.

Personally the best move is for the MWC to expand (Not likely with 12 teams) and take in BYU and UTEP (Sun Bowl). However, even with the Sun Bowl behind UTEP doesn't make them an auto-offer. Would Cincinnati make the sacrifice to move into the bigger MWC or would the much smaller Houston Cougars? Option one (BYU) is clear. But who's necessarily BYU's friend, isn't.

Since when are UTEP and the Sun Bowl tied to one another? The Sun Bowl and CBS don't want a group of 5 team in the Sun Bowl. They want a power 5 team and in case you hadn't noticed, Sunny is doing just fine with the Pac 14 (?) and the ACC. No way and I REPEAT, NO WAY is Sunny taking an AAC team EVER...as long as CBS is involved.

BYU on the other hand is practically shut out of any playoff scenarios because they have no conference. They will never make the big bucks as long as they are independent. The have a great TV deal right now but they really haven't lived up to their side of the bargain. Many lackluster performances and second tier bowl games since TV contract was signed. They will be forced to come back to the MWC in the future. UTEP has long been thought of as their counterpart to enter from the east if and when they do.

Originally posted by jdubb66:
Since when are UTEP and the Sun Bowl tied to one another? The Sun Bowl and CBS don't want a group of 5 team in the Sun Bowl. They want a power 5 team and in case you hadn't noticed, Sunny is doing just fine with the Pac 14 (?) and the ACC. No way and I REPEAT, NO WAY is Sunny taking an AAC team EVER...as long as CBS is involved.

BYU on the other hand is practically shut out of any playoff scenarios because they have no conference. They will never make the big bucks as long as they are independent. The have a great TV deal right now but they really haven't lived up to their side of the bargain. Many lackluster performances and second tier bowl games since TV contract was signed. They will be forced to come back to the MWC in the future. UTEP has long been thought of as their counterpart to enter from the east if and when they do.

The Sunnies don't have a choice. UTEP has never put to screws to the Sunnies even though they can. They do however know they have to capitulate to UTEP if asked. The Sunnies arent happy about this but they know its reality. As for CBS they televise the Sun Bowl because its tradtion not a ratings bonanza. The Sun Bowl wouldnt still be on cbs if not for Mike Aresco. CBS would have no problem with the AAC in the Sun Bowl.

@Minerforlife

I'm going to post the same question to you as I did on the other board:

I'm a little curious as to what role you have within the UTEP athletics dept. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but you seem to talk as if you have first hand knowledge of all situations with our team practices and staff relationships.

For example, you once stated that Floyd and Stull hate each other? I wonder how you came to that assertion. You also talk about Touchet getting ripped in practice most days. Do you have access to these practices and have you witnessed this first hand? Also, how are you so sure Hunter is gone?

Again, I'm not insinuating that you're making things up, but you do talk as if you have access to more info than most anyone else I've seen on these message boards.

cool-story-bro_o_2285745.jpg

This post was edited on 3/17 2:00 PM by jdubb66

Originally posted by USAFminersfan:
@Minerforlife

I'm going to post the same question to you as I did on the other board:

I'm a little curious as to what role you have within the UTEP athletics dept. I'm not calling you a liar or anything, but you seem to talk as if you have first hand knowledge of all situations with our team practices and staff relationships.

For example, you once stated that Floyd and Stull hate each other? I wonder how you came to that assertion. You also talk about Touchet getting ripped in practice most days. Do you have access to these practices and have you witnessed this first hand? Also, how are you so sure Hunter is gone?

Again, I'm not insinuating that you're making things up, but you do talk as if you have access to more info than most anyone else I've seen on these message boards.

You have me confused with someone else I dont post on the den.

Whoops. His moniker is "minerbball4life". Must have looked similar and thought you were the same person.

Didn't the MWC want the Sun Bowl as well??? I would much rather see UTEP and the Sun go to the MWC, and bring a long whomever? UTSA, doesn't matter.. Yet, I can see how it would favor the AAC with the ties with their commissioner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT