ADVERTISEMENT

Its finally here.....

Dec 22, 2016
The season we've all been waiting for.

We were screwed over for 8 years with false hopes, and no-show recruits, losing to inferior teams with championship banners from 80's flying high in disbelief from the rafters in one of C-USA's top basketball venues. We were embarrassed when our coach had to set up respected media members because he couldn't handle the heat of why the hell no one wanted to play for his boring style. We were embarrassed when we watched others make C-USA runs to the dance, simply wondering..............WHAT THE F***?

Now, its finally here.

We have endured almost two decades of being nothing, yeah a respected program, but one that could not get over the hill back to its old glory.

Now we have depth, talent, a star player in Bryson Williams and a coach who seems to get it. I for one have been waiting for this season since Lamar waxed us on our home floor and Tim Floyd took his ball and went home.

It's finally here.

For the ones who have been sitting in the empty Haskins Center over the few years, and could not wait until Tim Floyd was gone, the year is here gentleman. I am hoping for a big year, all of us on this board have been waiting for this, soak it in, celebrate every big win and enjoy the ride, because the next two years WE SHOULD BE BACK.

On behalf of all Miner ball fans I say: Amen, let's bring the glory back and beat Highlands by 40 points tonight.

I will be there tonight with my wife and two old friends with whom we had season tickets from around '64 through '77 along with six other couples (all of whom have passed). Didn't attend any games anywhere last season for the first time in over fifty years. Hope I'm able to change that this year.
GO MINERS

Last edited:
I'm ready for tonight. However, the real test is next week's game. We have to beat NMSUcks on our home floor.
I have an event that night that I am trying to get out of so I can be at that game. It's a religious event that people are expecting me to be at and I need help with a good excuse. I'm going to hell but if UTEP wins against NMSU it will be worth it.:D:p

Things I'm looking for tonight.:

The miners know now that expectations are high, so the 1st few weeks of the season will tell us a lot about their potential. Its IMPERATIVE that we win tonight and then 'Defend the Don' all year!

So we know Boum scored 26 against GCU (before the tweats were taken down). Without knowing much more, I would say that Edwards and Boum have taken over the SG position (unless Boum is good in the 6th man role). I'm thinking that leaves Hawkins coming off the bench. Also I'm very interested in the progression of Tarke at SF. With Vila spreading the floor, its gonna be important that we have a strong second rebounder and finisher at the 3. I think we all agree that Tarke's expectations are high.

How much will we see our potential X-factors this year? Stroud could bring some REAL excitement off the bench. Verhoeven could play an important role on defense with specific matchups, anchoring a zone or end of game time.

What will Terry do with Eze? He seems to have fallen on the backburner due to depth. I think he has to redshirt.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Things I'm looking for tonight.:

The miners know now that expectations are high, so the 1st few weeks of the season will tell us a lot about their potential. Its IMPERATIVE that we win tonight and then 'Defend the Don' all year!

So we know Boum scored 26 against GCU (before the tweats were taken down). Without knowing much more, I would say that Edwards and Boum have taken over the SG position (unless Boum is good in the 6th man role). I'm thinking that leaves Hawkins coming off the bench. Also I'm very interested in the progression of Tarke at SF. With Vila spreading the floor, its gonna be important that we have a strong second rebounder and finisher at the 3. I think we all agree that Tarke's expectations are high.

How much will we see our potential X-factors this year? Stroud could bring some REAL excitement off the bench. Verhoeven could play an important role on defense with specific matchups, anchoring a zone or end of game time.

What will Terry do with Eze? He seems to have fallen on the backburner due to depth. I think he has to redshirt.

X Factor? Eric Vila. He was a traveling willbury but is back home with a coach he prefers. Put up good numbers in FIBA U19 Spanish team. Definitely has a good inside/outside game and can drain the three for a big man.

I agree, it feels like we have been waiting forever for UTEP bball to finally put a roster together such as this one!

It feels like Christmas morning, its time to get the Don rocking!

Any word on how ticket sales are for the game?
I'm not expecting too much tonight in regards to attendance, but about 7000 tickets have been sold for the NMSU game with a week left. If we win the first 3 games, and with some additional marketing, the UNM game could be a sellout. The team just needs to do it's part and keep the hype rolling.

UTEP should create a hype video after the 1st few games, advertise it on TV and social media, then update it throughout the year.

You really expected a big crowd for this game?
You took hook up at Mesa entrance and walk in like you own the place...
MelodicWindyCuckoo-size_restricted.gif

The season we've all been waiting for.

We were screwed over for 8 years with false hopes, and no-show recruits, losing to inferior teams with championship banners from 80's flying high in disbelief from the rafters in one of C-USA's top basketball venues. We were embarrassed when our coach had to set up respected media members because he couldn't handle the heat of why the hell no one wanted to play for his boring style. We were embarrassed when we watched others make C-USA runs to the dance, simply wondering..............WHAT THE F***?

Now, its finally here.

We have endured almost two decades of being nothing, yeah a respected program, but one that could not get over the hill back to its old glory.

Now we have depth, talent, a star player in Bryson Williams and a coach who seems to get it. I for one have been waiting for this season since Lamar waxed us on our home floor and Tim Floyd took his ball and went home.

It's finally here.

For the ones who have been sitting in the empty Haskins Center over the few years, and could not wait until Tim Floyd was gone, the year is here gentleman. I am hoping for a big year, all of us on this board have been waiting for this, soak it in, celebrate every big win and enjoy the ride, because the next two years WE SHOULD BE BACK.

On behalf of all Miner ball fans I say: Amen, let's bring the glory back and beat Highlands by 40 points tonight.

scouting report on NM Highlands?

I will be there tonight with my wife and two old friends with whom we had season tickets from around '64 through '77 along with six other couples (all of whom have passed). Didn't attend any games anywhere last season for the first time in over fifty years. Hope I'm able to change that this year.
GO MINERS

Damn, that is some loyalty right there. My respect.

Reactions: minermx07
Reading Bigwood's post made me queasy. We are Miners fans and get used to losing. It's like a nice, warm, comfy blanket knowing that we are simply going to lose again and being kinda ok with it.

But then Bigwood comes along with a really inspiring post that threatens to awaken the beast: Hope. It's always so uncomfortable to awaken that son-of-a-bitch only to have it crushed yet again. We gorge ourselves on it filling ourselves so full of it that we can't see straight. It causes us to act the fool, carrying on against opponents as if it's 1966 all over again. Or 1992.

And then before we know it, it's gone. Again. Crushed. Mangled. Ripped to shreds like a sheet of 16 pound paper run through an industrial strength shredder. Broken beyond repair like Humpty Dumpty after his great fall.

I curse you, Bigwood! Let the sleeping beast lie lest it meet its miserable and predictable end; again!

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I agree what you are saying but roster has had this much star power since the Kansas upset year. BG had a good team but it wasn't this loaded.

Sloppy coming out of the gate. NMHU made a little run but UTEP answered quickly. NMHU applying constant full court the whole half. They have two D1 players from Colorado State and Boston College but play a little out of control and both have 3 fouls coming into second. Tarke needs to settle down a little because he made two dumb back to back fouls. Boum looks good but is not in sync with the big boys who are not ready for his passes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT