ADVERTISEMENT

Its finally here.....

Axe was looking for an "X factor" in this game? It's Edwards. Composure, nice stroke from 3 land. EO looks lean and left off from last year.

Sloppy coming out of the gate. NMHU made a little run but UTEP answered quickly. NMHU applying constant full court the whole half. They have two D1 players from Colorado State and Boston College but play a little out of control and both have 3 fouls coming into second. Tarke needs to settle down a little because he made two dumb back to back fouls. Boum looks good but is not in sync with the big boys who are not ready for his passes.

Yeah, sloppy so far. First game. Playing down to competition. NM Highlands chunks everything from the cheap seats so second chance points coming frequently.

Also, if there is anything to compliment NMH on, it’s their in your face, full court press. Definitely makes it difficult to get into any kind of offensive rhythm.

Sloppy game, but Miners were playing with their "food" the game was not in doubt. They will need to play much better, to beat NMSU though. a loud Don, will help for sure! 1-0!!!!

Hats off tO NMHU. They drank monster energy drinks and went raining 3's like no one's business to start second half. Wow! That was unreal.

Their D1 transfers got hurt and fouled out but what an effort!

Vila, EO and Edwards are the real deal. Their rebounding and composure was what makes the difference from calm play and scrappy park ball that NMHU tried to play in second half. Vila and EO are rebounding machines.

Grades: My two cents worth
Edwards - A-
Boum - B+
Williams - B
Lathon - B-
Odigie - B-
Vila - C+
Stroud - C+
Verhoeven - C
Tarke - C
Sloppy sloppy game. Vila C+?. He rebounded extremely well and because he can play outside he took their big man out of the paint to set, defend or rebound.

CRT just stated on post game is press busting is something they just started working on this week. Wow! Not sure what to make of that? Edwards was good splitting double coverage all night.

Sloppy sloppy game. Vila C+?. He rebounded extremely well and because he can play outside he took their big man out of the paint to set, defend or rebound.

Yep. Maybe a B if I’m being generous. Vila rebounded ok. He was usually the tallest guy on the floor by several inches. He should have had a few more boards but he has a weak grip. Shot about 35% from the floor. Not knocking him. Just wasn’t impressed with him tonight in his 30 minutes. He took his man out of the paint but it wasn’t even necessary because their 7’3” guy sucked and played so sparingly and their 6’10” guy wasn’t any better. Vila only hit one of his outside shots. Maybe next week he gets an A. Tonight, meh.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Still way, way to many turnovers. We will need to cut that number down significantly to beat good teams. Overall grade in my opinion was a C minus.

Wayyyyyy too many.

Wish we would have attacked the press rather than just endure it. When we did attack it towards the end of the second half, we looked good. Half court offense looked slow and sloppy much of the time.

It’ll get better.

Wayyyyyy too many.

Wish we would have attacked the press rather than just endure it. When we did attack it towards the end of the second half, we looked good. Half court offense looked slow and sloppy much of the time.

It’ll get better.

Toward the end of the second half was when boum ran the point. He did a much better job breaking the press, imo. Was much quicker and more decisive with the ball than Lathon

Guys, I'm optimistic about something involving UTEP sports. Is this how other fan bases get to feel?

Toward the end of the second half was when boum ran the point. He did a much better job breaking the press, imo. Was much quicker and more decisive with the ball than Lathon

I agree. Boum looks decisive and comfortable with the ball in his hands. He pushes it up the court. I like that stop and pop he has from about 10-12 feet out.

Vila also started attacking the rim after the press was broken, rather than pulling the ball back out to the arc. He had a couple nice feeds to Williams. This is where he could excel in my opinion. He has that creativity that is common with the European players. I think he had 6 assists tonight.

I was expecting a bigger blow out. Gillespie started his second season with a 60 point beating of Texas Permian. That’s kind of what I wanted to see today.

I sort of disagree on Boum. I liked his play. He took good charges. The big men need to gel with him not vice versa but CRT runs a heavy guard offense.

I was expecting a bigger blow out. Gillespie started his second season with a 60 point beating of Texas Permian. That’s kind of what I wanted to see today.

Did you get to watch? Should’ve realistically been a 30+ point beating but as others have alluded to, NMH went unconscious and hit like six 3s in a 3 minute stretch. It was kind of surreal for a few minutes.

it could have been closer to a 50pt blowout, but NMHU really did go on a miracle run for a bit. They hit some pretty wild shots that would normally be VERY low %. I don't think many teams will do that to us this year...

Did you get to watch? Should’ve realistically been a 30+ point beating but as others have alluded to, NMH went unconscious and hit like six 3s in a 3 minute stretch. It was kind of surreal for a few minutes.

right, but most of them were uncontested

Reactions: MinerManiac
Well, Floyd might’ve lost this game.
That’s true in fact he lost games like this.

I didn’t watch it. Honestly I’m only going based of scoreboard and box score.

right, but most of them were uncontested
Agree. The perimeter defense was poor, especially in the second half. We also fouled a couple of times at the three point line in the first half. I did think we did a decent job of anticipating the drive, and stepping in for some charging calls. Lots of areas to work on before it gets real in a week.

I was there and had high expectations. My consensus is that there is not the depth that I thought we had. I can see why Vila plays ahead of Tarke. Tarke and Stroud hopefully will make strides as the season progresses, but not ready yet. Williams is as advertised. Edwards is the perimeter shooter we needed and I suspect Boum will share that role eventually. Lathon looked more at ease than last year and was steady. Efe!!!! He looked like a new man. Nice post moves and stronger than ever. Played strong "D" most of the first half and rebounding, FG and FT shooting was above par.
I'm still holding on to my expectations. The Aggie game will be an early test and will reveal a lot.

I was there and had high expectations. My consensus is that there is not the depth that I thought we had. I can see why Vila plays ahead of Tarke. Tarke and Stroud hopefully will make strides as the season progresses, but not ready yet. Williams is as advertised. Edwards is the perimeter shooter we needed and I suspect Boum will share that role eventually. Lathon looked more at ease than last year and was steady. Efe!!!! He looked like a new man. Nice post moves and stronger than ever. Played strong "D" most of the first half and rebounding, FG and FT shooting was above par.
I'm still holding on to my expectations. The Aggie game will be an early test and will reveal a lot.

Yeah, we only went 9 deep tonight and two of those guys only got 5 and 9 minutes each. That’s more of a 7 man rotation. Hopefully Tarke and Verhoeven gel with this team and find more court time. Would be really good if Archie is as good as I’ve been told he is. 10 deep Would be a good thing.

Anyone else disappointed in what they have seen from tarke?? From all that was made of him coming in ... not what I expected . season is very young and it could change but looks a bit lost out there...I was counting on him being a decent contributor this year and he still maybe...

Last edited:
Anyone else disappointed in what they have seen from tarke?? From all that was made of him coming in ... not what I coerced.. season is very young and it could change but looks a bit lost out there...I was counting on him being a decent contributor this year and he still maybe...
He is trying way to hard. A player like him should just let the game come to him. Second, he was the team at NJIT. He may being trying to adjust to a more potent roster.

Anyone else disappointed in what they have seen from tarke?? From all that was made of him coming in ... not what I expected . season is very young and it could change but looks a bit lost out there...I was counting on him being a decent contributor this year and he still maybe...
Can't be disappointed with a player who has played in three exhibitions, RELAX ya'll lol RELAX.

Wait till December to pick things apart.

And we were short Nigel Hawkins, so he'll add a little more guard depth when he returns to the court.

After 1 game you guys have it all figured out. This isn't 11 man basketball, impossible for everyone (Tarke) to get significant minutes. Lighten up, Francis.
iN-aXzpQUdw

Reactions: utep2step
True its early, but Tarke has been here more than a year and practicing with the team. There was no inclination that he would not be a starter or struggle this much in his transition to SF.

At this point I wonder if maybe he could get more time backing up Williams (since Terry already seems to favor Stroud over Tarke). Tarke is an older guy on the team so this is it.

Reactions: Lil_Train
True its early, but Tarke has been here more than a year and practicing with the team. There was no inclination that he would not be a starter or struggle this much in his transition to SF.

At this point I wonder if maybe he could get more time backing up Williams (since Terry already seems to favor Stroud over Tarke). Tarke is an older guy on the team so this is it.
CRT was saying good things about Tarke some weeks ago. I really think he just needs to settle down. Two fouls early in a game are self destructive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT