ADVERTISEMENT

Jordan Laton commits - 4-star guard

WestTx12

Rookie
Jul 31, 2018
Great news and this is most likely what scared Isiah away. Is he the highest ranked recruit we have ever had or at least had in recent years?

Vince Hunter was a 4* and rivals ranked him as the 98th best player nationally. Lathon is 137(?). So no, he isn’t the highest ranked recruit ever at UTEP, but damn close.

I feel bad for Isaiah. He signed under Floyd and did his time sitting out a year. He played five games for him before Floyd quit on the team. Terry was hired and immediately upgraded the talent. Isiah would have contributed some minutes this year but it’s clear that by next season he would be riding the bench. He made a move based on his overall collegiate career. I respect his decision to do what’s best for himself

Jordan is ranked higher than the other Isaac that Utep lost to Oklahoma State. Jordan does look a little better than Isaac.

He was before he signed with Utep. He dropped after. Vince Hunter also dropped after he signed with Utep.
Yup. Happened on UTEP football side as well over the years. Rivals would and will not offer any explanations for those past actions.

Help me out here. We could assemble a pretty good squad with the departed players including:
Osbourne, Wade, Smith, Jones, Mc Swinney,
And this is where I need help coming up some of the others.

Lathon was originally committed to Northwestern (my other school) and he apparently did something so egregious as to have his offer revoked, and although many schools were reportedly interested, no offer from them was forthcoming (once they found out what he did, presumably). Whatever he did, they've done a marvelous job of preventing it from leaking to the Internet.

Without knowing what he did, in general I do believe in second chances and I'm cautiously glad that he'll get his second chance at UTEP. But man, there sure is a cloud over this ordeal at the Northwestern side.

Here's a thread at the Northwestern board about Lathon landing here at UTEP (be nice):
https://northwestern.forums.rivals.com/threads/lathon-to-utep.39061/

Reactions: JCorona
It sounds like a lot of innuendo that Laton did something bad. Don't know about that and I won't contribute to it. One thing I've heard is that Northwestern is pretty tough academically. A possibility is that N.U. offered and he accepted the scholarship before they realized he didn't cut it with the grades. Could be someone fell down on vetting his school work. They had to cut him loose before he actually enrolled. And Coach Terry jumped on an opportunity before the dust settled. Short of hearing actual facts on the matter, I say don't trouble trouble till trouble troubles you.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Seems like a whole lot of vague BS on that message board. “I can’t say what he did, but he did do some thing” What!?

For a team that hasn’t won a conference championship in 80 plus years, and has one NCAA tournament appearance EVER they are acting like UTEP is a massive step down from the basketball powerhouse that is Northwestern basketball. That tells you two thing:
1: Tim Floyd made a complete and utter mess of the basketball program that even Northwestern fans think we suck.
2: Those fans are so far up their own asses that they believe they are a great program.

My initial assumption was that it was academic related. Browsing through the Reddit comments

a poster with sources says it’s not grades. It’s also not a criminal arrest since there is zero reports of that. What did he do that’s so unspeakable then?

Exactly.... what did he do? It sounds like complete and utter BS if you ask me.
That's the mystery. We know that Northwestern pulled his offer and that it had nothing to do with grades. We know that other schools, some big ones, were interested after his offer was pulled by Northwestern, but none of them pulled the trigger. Some posters on the Northwestern board claim to know the story but they say they won't post the reasons, not until it becomes public, saying they respect Northwestern's decision to withhold any details to protect Lathon's privacy. Maybe they're full of it; I have no idea. This innuendo made the rounds when Northwestern initially pulled the offer, and now that he's signed at UTEP, we're seeing a resurgence.

Is sounds as if it is something related to the school since they are saying that it is the school’s decision to release the information. I doubt it is anything criminal related because then it would have been released. It just bugs me that someone can go “I am not saying what I know to protect his privacy.” That alone leads to so much speculation and is probably worse than saying what it was. So how are you handling this situation with respect if you are adding fuel to the fire? “If” you know, and you do not want to say anything then shut up and say nothing. And the ironic thing is their identity is hidden since they are online.

Sorry to jump in and invade your forums, but SMU fan here who was very excited that we would get Lathon once he decommitted and was shocked to learn from someone in hte know we decided against offering him after he visited.

I did some digging. The reddit thread posted earlier is insightful...

we see someone say "
yeah, not going to say anything more in a public forum, but from some very good sources I have this isn't grades and NU made the right decision
"
So it's hard to say what happened. If it was criminal im sure someone would've found it (unless it happened before he turned 18). So what other things could it be if people say its not grades? Could be a failed drug test, cheating on ACTs, could be some unproven assault allegation that was never formally reported to police, but Northwestern didn't want to risk especially with things such as MSU, but really I have no idea what happened. Very mysterious that in todays day this is kept under wraps. maybe people from his HS know...

Reactions: JCorona
im gonna go with the option E. that one nobody is talking about . Maybe Terry is just a really good recruiter. He did get a bunch of other good transfers and recruits that were offered by other schools. I think Jordan liked the idea that he will get playing time right away. Utep just let go one of its best players from last year so that they could get him. If he was in trouble I don't think they would've of done that.

I have it on good authority that the reason Lathon is not in NU is because he found out something terrible about certain members of the NU Message Board. Which out of respect for their privacy, he refuses to discuss. However, it was so terrible that NU decided that Lathon should attend another University in order to avoid further controversy.

My sources indicate that what the NU Message Board have done is not criminal per se. That no members of NU Message Board should have their lives ruined because of the information. However, the information is highly sensitive and disturbing. Too disturbing to discuss. So Lathon chose to come to El Paso to be as far away from Chicago as possible.

Seems like a whole lot of vague BS on that message board. “I can’t say what he did, but he did do some thing” What!?

For a team that hasn’t won a conference championship in 80 plus years, and has one NCAA tournament appearance EVER they are acting like UTEP is a massive step down from the basketball powerhouse that is Northwestern basketball. That tells you two thing:
1: Tim Floyd made a complete and utter mess of the basketball program that even Northwestern fans think we suck.
2: Those fans are so far up their own asses that they believe they are a great program.
Floyd could give Duke a run for their money in early OOC play but couldn't get a win in the Lego Land Post Season Inviational. Post season is where you get the love.
Second, Nortwestern is on a high and going in what appears a good direction. So yes, why wouldn't they think UTEP sucks as of this point?

Floyd could give Duke a run for their money in early OOC play but couldn't get a win in the Lego Land Post Season Inviational. Post season is where you get the love.
Second, Nortwestern is on a high and going in what appears a good direction. So yes, why wouldn't they think UTEP sucks as of this point?
Fair enough, they won an NCAA Tourney game a year ago.... congratulations. If I remember correctly, didn’t they play in the Don Haskins Tourney in 03 when UTEP beat Rutgers?

He had a traffic citation disposed in January. No other court records in his name in Missouri.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT