ADVERTISEMENT

Just a friendly reminder that I accurately predicted all of this after the Marquette Game.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
After the Marquette game everybody was sky high, some were predicting a 3rd place finish, some were predicting 20 wins, and a few even posted that we could contend for the conference title. However, I respectfully disagreed and I instead predicted that we would “peak in the middle of the season and then fade down the stretch.”

The season is now coming to an end and our team has done exactly what I predicted that we would do, as we peaked in the middle of the season by winning our most games against D1 opponents in the middle 10 games of the season and we have also now faded down the stretch by losing 7 of our final 8 games. During my prediction I had also referenced the probability that injury would impact our depleted roster as we reach the end of the season, which has now also happened with Efe.

Anyways, I guess congrats to the guys who responded to my post at that time by disagreeing with me.

Per my post in the Marquette thread(which I added below), my prediction is that we will peak in the middle of the season and then fade down the stretch. A 3rd place finish seems a bit too ambitious to me, but I would certainly love to see it.

“Just a random thought; but I wonder if our basketball team this season will end up like our football team and they will peak in the middle of the season and then fade down the stretch? One would think that this is very likely as we are playing so many freshmen and freshmen will often hit a “freshman wall” towards the end of their first season as they aren’t used to a full D1 schedule yet. Plus we have such a short rotation, that it might be natural that our young guys could continue to get more and more banged up the longer that the season goes on. I remember that this happened during the season that Aaron and Alvin Jones were brought in to play. UTEP played it’s best ball with a short rotation during the middle of that season and then they just ran out if gas towards the end of the year, ironically losing to a Rodney Terry team. I would love to see a straight arrow of continued improvement for the entire season, but just want to give a cautious heads-up that maybe we shouldn’t get too disapointed this particular year if some of the above happens.”

Link:
https://utep.forums.rivals.com/threads/think-were-ready-for-cusa-play.8822/#post-113330

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I don't mind giving D credit. I was one of those who expected a mid pack finish. I'll use the Arizona game instead of Marquette. They came out of the gates against Arizona swinging and Thomas had a good game and was taking it to the basket.

But, that there in lied what I failed to see: Not enough bodies to finish or provide support. Free thow's drove me insane. They lost games strictly due to not being able to finish at the charity stripe.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
They were already a long shot to get to double digits wins, but I thought had a chance. However losing your best player and Rebounder was just too much. This is like Gillespie's first year and we can only hope Terry's 2nd year follows that same script.

Careful UTEPdefense or sneedham will question your fan loyalty. Anyway I was one of the hopefuls after Marquette. You obviously know more about hoops than I do. So do you think Floyd would have gotten more or less out of this squad?

Reactions: sneedham
I had high hopes after our showing against Marquette and NMSU. They were far and away the best teams we played all year. Unfortunately we never played to that level again. I was suprised given the weakness of our league. Theres always next year hope springs eternal.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Tim Floyd is the reason why we had an awful year. He left Terry very little to work with and a huge rebuild. He underachieved for 8 seasons here, and IMO, he would have gotten less out of this squad. He would have spend more time and effort trying to paint his "poor me look at the hand I was dealt" picture , than coaching.

Not defending Floyd, but he left Tyrus Smith, Trey Wade, Isaiah Osborne and Trey Touchet who all elected not to stay. Wouldn't be surprised if Terry hadn't
encouraged them to leave to free up scholly offers for the transfers. Who knows why; but Wade and Osborne both would have been assets and even Smith and Touchet might have at least added some depth to the undernourished group we ended up with.

I’ve heard a few times that losing Efe was a big blow. Yes that’s true, but it’s not like we were winning games with him in the lineup.

It’s hard to believe after the recruiting class we had and all the hype surrounding the Terry hire that basketball will most likely finish with only two more conferences wins than the football team.

Tim Floyd is the reason why we had an awful year. He left Terry very little to work with and a huge rebuild. He underachieved for 8 seasons here, and IMO, he would have gotten less out of this squad. He would have spend more time and effort trying to paint his "poor me look at the hand I was dealt" picture , than coaching.
All of this is hypothetical, but it is entirely possible that a Floyd lead team would have somehow had less talent than Terry was able to put together late. If you recall, Floyd's early signing period recruits were Jacob Eyman, Avery Martinez, Teddy Ochieng, and Lamar Norman. Granted, Floyd would have had a chance to sign of more guys late, but I really don't see any of those early signees as better than what Terry brought in late, and who played this year. Of course, Floyd would have likely returned some guys as well. I didn't consider any of them real difference makers other than possibly Osborne.

My point is that while this season has been awful, it is entirely possible that another Floyd season would have been even worse. I have no doubt he realized that when he quit. Next year, my prediction is that we will be a whole lot better. :D

Last edited:
All of this is hypothetical, but it is entirely possible that a Floyd lead team would have somehow had less talent than Terry was able to put together late. If you recall, Floyd's early signing period recruits were Jacob Eyman, Avery Martinez, Teddy Ochieng, and Lamar Norman. Granted, Floyd would have had a chance to sign of more guys late, but I really don't see any of those early signees as better than what Terry brought in late, and who played this year. Of course, Floyd would have likely returned some guys as well. I didn't consider any of them real difference makers other than possibly Osborne.

My point is that while this season has been awful, it is entirely possible that another Floyd season would have been even worse. I have no doubt he realized that when he quit. Next year, my prediction is that we will be a whole lot better. :D
Those four that left represented about 23 ppg

FWIW, I wasn't trying to bash the team, my prediction was more of an advisement to not get too disappointed if this season goes bad. In fact, here was the exact final statement of my prediction: "I would love to see a straight arrow of continued improvement for the entire season, but just want to give a cautious heads-up that maybe we shouldn’t get too disapointed this particular year if some of the above happens.”

Recent history shows that if you predict UTEP to have a disappointing season, then more often than not, you are going to be correct. So predicting a disappointing season is not a difficult prediction to make. I just think that what happened this year was more to be expected for any team in our situation. In regards to Floyd, I am just glad that he left last year and we were able to begin our rebuild this year. Because had he stayed one more year, then that would mean that we would not even be starting our rebuild until next season.

I’ve heard a few times that losing Efe was a big blow. Yes that’s true, but it’s not like we were winning games with him in the lineup.

It’s hard to believe after the recruiting class we had and all the hype surrounding the Terry hire that basketball will most likely finish with only two more conferences wins than the football team.
The strong recruiting was mostly due to transfers, that weren't eligible this year. Really the only disappointing Freshman this year was the Big Man Eze that we all thought was going to have an immediate impact and didn't. Lathon, Hawkins and Odigie had good first years and show signs of being really good in the future. I'm honestly not at all disappointed in this year. Whether we won 8 games or 11 games and went to tourney to lose in 1st round what's the difference? We knew next year and year after is what Terry recruited for!

Not defending Floyd, but he left Tyrus Smith, Trey Wade, Isaiah Osborne and Trey Touchet who all elected not to stay. Wouldn't be surprised if Terry hadn't
encouraged them to leave to free up scholly offers for the transfers. Who knows why
Its more like Smith, Wade, and Touchet. Did Terry drive them off or did they choose to leave ...who knows?? Floyd did have a tendency to recruit players who would leave...so maybe they were just the same old short timer Floyd recruits. Plus do you think Smith, Wade, and Touchet would have made us a top 6 CUSA team??? Hell no. Maybe 4-6 more wins at best and a first round loss in the CUSA tourney. This year was going to be a long season regardless and it was better to sacrifice sucking more than sucking a bit less to bring in recruits that fit Terry's system.

Lathon was available very late and Osborne was pretty much swapped for Lathon, which was totally worth it. Lathon averages more PPG as a true freshman than Osborne did as a Soph here.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Its more like Smith, Wade, and Touchet. Did Terry drive them off or did they choose to leave ...who knows?? Floyd did have a tendency to recruit players who would leave...so maybe they were just the same old short timer Floyd recruits. Plus do you think Smith, Wade, and Touchet would have made us a top 6 CUSA team??? Hell no. Maybe 4-6 more wins at best and a first round loss in the CUSA tourney. This year was going to be a long season regardless and it was better to sacrifice sucking more than sucking a bit less to bring in recruits that fit Terry's system.

Lathon was available very late and Osborne was pretty much swapped for Lathon, which was totally worth it. Lathon averages more PPG as a true freshman than Osborne did as a Soph here.
My comment was simply that EPTUTEP said Floyd left Terry nothing. He left him 23ppg which I don't think he wanted, but it's not fair to say he left him him nothing. BTW he did keep another 21ppg with Thomas, Gilyard and Mc Gee...so that's 44 ppg total.
In the long run I eagerly anticipate next year with the scholly players that Terry corralled as a result of those that skedaddled.
I wish I was awaking tomorrow and it was November 2019 about to enjoy the new season.

Reactions: mikesarabia
Whether we won 8 games or 11 games and went to tourney to lose in 1st round what's the difference? We knew next year and year after is what Terry recruited for!
Exactly...it is like arguing who was the better team last season between the 5-11 Jaguars or the 3-13 Raiders. They both sucked. What difference does it make being in 11 th place in CUSA over 14 place??? Both spots means you suck.

Exactly...it is like arguing who was the better team last season between the 5-11 Jaguars or the 3-13 Raiders. They both sucked. What difference does it make being in 11 th place in CUSA over 14 place??? Both spots means you suck.
The main difference is 11th qualifies for Frisco and 14th stays home. 11th also means you didn’t just set the all time school record for the least conference wins in UTEP history. Other than that you’re right they both suck.

Reactions: miner1liner
The main difference is 11th qualifies for Frisco and 14th stays home. 11th also means you didn’t just set the all time school record for the least conference wins in UTEP history. Other than that you’re right they both suck.
I guess if you want to prolong the agony of this season, playing in the CUSA Tourney is cool. Getting blown out in the first round is very exciting and totally worth the extra game. Being in 11th place in CUSA would have made this season so much better.

Last edited:
Careful UTEPdefense or sneedham will question your fan loyalty. Anyway I was one of the hopefuls after Marquette. You obviously know more about hoops than I do. So do you think Floyd would have gotten more or less out of this squad?
Really? I don't think this is a relevant question since if CTF was still here it would be a different team. If your asking would CTF have a better year with CRT's players who knows because didn't CTF quit on his team after 6 games?

Reactions: EPTUTEP
I called it too.

tenor.gif

The bigger question, did these guys improve? Did Terry coach them up? It's obvious, the lack of a bench hurt them. That's not the only reason, they won't make their conference tournament. Year 2 will show us a lot.

You are the only other person on here, or at least one of only a couple, that I’m aware of, that has posed that question.

I would imagine that our answers to that question are fairly similar, too.

I guess if you want to prolong the agony of this season, playing in the CUSA Tourney is cool. Getting blown out in the first round is very exciting and totally worth the extra game. Being in 11th place in CUSA would have made this season so much better.
IMO it would have made the season better. It shows a slight improvement in the standings over last year’s team. It also shows the team progressing as the season wore on. Instead of all of us wanting this miserable season to end, the sooner the better.

You are the only other person on here, or at least one of only a couple, that I’m aware of, that has posed that question.

I would imagine that our answers to that question are fairly similar, too.
This is the important question, as you both have stated. Looking specifically at the returnees, the one guy I was hoping would make that big leap from a freshman to sophomore year, was Gilyard. At the end of last year, I felt he was on the verge of becoming a go to type guard who could get to the rim with relative ease, and be a team leader. The game at UNT last year comes to mind; where he essentially willed the team to victory. This year, for whatever reason, we have not seen the type of player I expected. While there have been some flashes, in my opinion, his overall game did not make that jump. Obviously, the coaching change/direction has had a role in his lack of growth; and we do know there have been at least a couple of disciplinary incidents. Whatever the reason, to me his inability to take the next step is a disappointment this season.

IMO it would have made the season better. It shows a slight improvement in the standings over last year’s team. It also shows the team progressing as the season wore on. Instead of all of us wanting this miserable season to end, the sooner the better.

Last years team finished in 11th place, where you satisfied or did you want the season to finally be over with after the last regular season game?
Comparing improvement from this last years team to this years team is like comparing apples to oranges, except for the fact both teams completely sucked.
CUSA is not very good, and a team can finish in 14th place one year and easily be a top 3 CUSA team the next season. If you finish in 6, 7, 8, 9th place in CUSA, its like let this season be over with already. 10th, 11, 12, 13,14 place is like we are pathetic, please make the suffering stop, and we are just throwing away money and wasting time by traveling to the CUSA Tourney.

Reactions: nattybry
I doubt that anyone would say that they noticed a marked improvement from day 1 to now. I think the biggest jump was Lathon by far! After that...I can't see anything to get excited about. Hawkins, Efe and Eze have been up and down and mediocre just like the team in general. If they started the season at 1.3 ( from 1 to 10) they are around 1.5 now.

I doubt that anyone would say that they noticed a marked improvement from day 1 to now. I think the biggest jump was Lathon by far! After that...I can't see anything to get excited about. Hawkins, Efe and Eze have been up and down and mediocre just like the team in general. If they started the season at 1.3 ( from 1 to 10) they are around 1.5 now.

That’s what was such a disappointment for me this season. I could give two shits about our record. I had 3 expectations, or aspects I hoped to see. One was for the team to play hard all 40. Two was for the team to develop chemistry. Three was so to see noticeable improvement throughout the season.

Meat Loaf had it right when he said “two out of three ain’t bad”, but I say one out of three ain’t good.

None of this will matter if the team starts winning. Personally, I did not expect much this year. There were up and downs and some really nice individual games. There was plenty of head scratching too. I think its fair to throw most of our year long expectations out the window based on the lack of players alone.

I think we will get a much better assessment of where the program is headed next season. I expect VERY competitive OOC schedule as well.

None of this will matter if the team starts winning. Personally, I did not expect much this year. There were up and doI wns and some really nice individual games. There was plenty of head scratching too. I think its fair to throw most of our year long expectations out the window based on the lack of players alone.

I think we will get a much better assessment of where the program is headed next season. I expect VERY competitive OOC schedule as well.

I predict that with the "players- in- waiting" Terry's idea is to speed up the game next year. If in fact this is his plan, we might see only Lathon ( from this year's roster) along with any number of possibilities from the P-I-W. There are endless options.

I predict that with the "players- in- waiting" Terry's idea is to speed up the game next year. If in fact this is his plan, we might see only Lathon ( from this year's roster) along with any number of possibilities from the P-I-W. There are endless options.
Disagree about Lathon being the only one returning. Efe was Terry's recruit from Fresno and he had an Amazing Freshman year. Hawkins is also his guy. Gilyard and Eze are up in the air possibly, but hopefully Gilyard stays.

I expected much better. There were at least 6-8 games that we should have won. I was extremely disappointed in Gilyard and Thomas and I thought we would see better out of Kaosi. Injuries did play a big part in the let down. Hawkins to start the season, Lathon and Efe during the season. Anything less than 22-24 wins next year will be a major disappointment.

I am not buying into injuries being an excuse. Every team has injuries and they adjust well. I am just so glad that Thomas is gone. He had no senior leadership and did not improve much from his freshman year. He was pretty much a bust. If you want to have a good team you must have leadership which the miners did not have. A lot of freshman outplayed him which shouldn’t happen because he already has had three years of experience. At this stage he should be able to fill up the stat sheet which he failed to do. Oh well onto next year with high hopes.

Last years team finished in 11th place, where you satisfied or did you want the season to finally be over with after the last regular season game?
Comparing improvement from this last years team to this years team is like comparing apples to oranges, except for the fact both teams completely sucked.
CUSA is not very good, and a team can finish in 14th place one year and easily be a top 3 CUSA team the next season. If you finish in 6, 7, 8, 9th place in CUSA, its like let this season be over with already. 10th, 11, 12, 13,14 place is like we are pathetic, please make the suffering stop, and we are just throwing away money and wasting time by traveling to the CUSA Tourney.
Technically we were the 12th seed. I wasn’t satisfied but I along with other on this board did think we had a good chance to upset utsa in the conference tournament. I wanted our season to continue for as long as it could.

I’ve gone back to the beginning of our time in CUSA and there has not been a single case where a team finishes 14th or bottom two and jumps up to the top 3 or even the top four next season.

A lot of fans are saying next year we will win a conference title or make the NCAA but I’m going to go on record and be the first to say none of that will happen. Next year around this time I’m going to bring this thread up and make a pat myself on the back thread.

I am not buying into injuries being an excuse. Every team has injuries and they adjust well. I am just so glad that Thomas is gone. He had no senior leadership and did not improve much from his freshman year. He was pretty much a bust. If you want to have a good team you must have leadership which the miners did not have. A lot of freshman outplayed him which shouldn’t happen because he already has had three years of experience. At this stage he should be able to fill up the stat sheet which he failed to do. Oh well onto next year with high hopes.
Injuries do happen to everyone, however when you don’t have any players to fill the hole it effects you much more. Starting 5 or 6 were ok but when fouls or fatigue set in there was no relief. At the best we were going to be in the third of conference no matter of everything went perfect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT