ADVERTISEMENT

Just a friendly reminder that I accurately predicted all of this after the Marquette Game.

I find it funny that people think CUSA is a "sucky" conference. CUSA has a higher RPI than the MWC or the WAC. Some wins by this "sucky" conference include.
Charlotte over Oklahoma St.
ODU over VCU and Syracuse
WKU over Wisconsin and St. Mary's
FAU over Central Florida
La Tech over Wichita St

Charlotte's win over Oklahoma St. stands out to me since, Charlotte is at the bottom of CUSA and Oklahoma St. is middle of the pack in the Big 12. As a conference CUSA is 190-187, which is more wins than 7 conferences rated ahead of CUSA. Add to it that most of the time teams in CUSA have to play "power schools" on the road, but when CUSA get them at home then CUSA wins those games.

How about fans and alumni take this into their own hands? Cough up some money -- big money -- and offer it to either the Big-12 or the PAC-12. **** the MWC.

It's unfortunate that we are stuck in a no-win situation. We're in a bullshit, suck-ass conference with no money and no ****ing future. So we can hope for a miracle in one hand and let the college football and basketball powers shit in the other.

Or we, the fans and alumni, can pony up some big cash and tell the Big-12 and PAC-12: We offer you 200 million over 20 years to make us part of your conference. Thats 10 million per year that WE ARE PAYING THEM to have us in their conference. And we have to come up with another 5 million per year to pay coaches and staff.

If we fail to grow into a competitive member then that failure is on us. If after 300 million and 20 years in a top conference we still suck then nobody will ever question anyone saying we should drop football and play basketball against local high schools.

Surely there's 15 million per year out there somewhere in Miner village. I can't imaging that El Paso and UTEP have failed to produce enough successful people that we cannot come up with a measly 15 million per year to make UTEP a competitive program in a top conference.

Ok, let me have it...

What are you good for — 20 bucks?

Give Charlotte, Rice, and MTSU the bench Terry has, and put one of their better players on injury, and the results will be the same for those 3 schools as well in POD play.
We were already in last place prior to the Efe injury but yeah those are all valid reasons for finishing last place. It’s not like oh poor Terry had no other option. For whatever reasons he wasn’t able to land a juco or graduate transfer big man that we all recognized was badly needed this season. He is given a free pass this year and he decided to take full advantage of it with recruiting next year’s class via the transfer market. It’s a bold move. As the old saying goes don’t put all your eggs in one basket.

Reactions: miner1liner
I still think it will take 3-5 years before we win a conference title or make the NCAA tournament.
Haha it is funny because my whole argument with you has been about your disappointment with Terry for not winning a few more games this season with no bench, and relying on 3 freshman to carry this team. But then your expectations for Terry is 3-5 years to turn this program into a NCAA Tourney team or win a conference title. So how can you really be disappointed until at least next season and for sure his 3rd?? I just don't understand all the hate and disappointment you have for Terry when he has only been here for 1 season and hasn't had 3 years yet to get into the Tourney like u predicted. After his first recruiting class, I too thought year 3 is going to be his big year. This argument got out of control and you bring a lot of good posts to this forum and I hate arguing with the good posters, but just give the dude a chance and let him work out his plan. I wasn't disappointed with Terry this season, but next season the free pass is in the trash and he needs to improve significantly.:)

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
You guys are the ones comparing Billy to Terry. And saying that Billy took UTEP from last to first and to expect something similar next season. I’m being realistic and have temperate expectations for next year.
Two players can turn a basketball team around. Do we have those players, we’ll have to wait and see. Most important is an excellent point guard, along with a strong 3 or 4. In today’s game a three point shooter is probably a must.

Reactions: ZonaMiner
We were already in last place prior to the Efe injury but yeah those are all valid reasons for finishing last place. It’s not like oh poor Terry had no other option. For whatever reasons he wasn’t able to land a juco or graduate transfer big man that we all recognized was badly needed this season. He is given a free pass this year and he decided to take full advantage of it with recruiting next year’s class via the transfer market. It’s a bold move. As the old saying goes don’t put all your eggs in one basket.
Good quality bigs are hard to find. Floyd spent years trying to find one with "hair on his chest''and came up short. Terry got a late start to recruiting and I highly doubt any immediate impact bigs were available at the JUCO level, and if there were any, they probably could not qualify. There is no need to reach for a risky JUCO big man just to fill a need for a throw away season. As for signing a graduate transfer big man, why? If a big man is a graduate transfer, he is nothing great and that is probably the main reason why he wants to go play somewhere else. I doubt a one year rental graduate transfer big man would have had a big enough impact to move UTEP out of the bottom 4 in CUSA this season.

What are you good for — 20 bucks?

Are you asking me out on a date? I'll spend 20 bucks on you. I'm happy to buy you a nice fat bacon cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and a diet coke.

Good quality bigs are hard to find. Floyd spent years trying to find one with "hair on his chest''and came up short. Terry got a late start to recruiting and I highly doubt any immediate impact bigs were available at the JUCO level, and if there were any, they probably could not qualify. There is no need to reach for a risky JUCO big man just to fill a need for a throw away season. As for signing a graduate transfer big man, why? If a big man is a graduate transfer, he is nothing great and that is probably the main reason why he wants to go play somewhere else. I doubt a one year rental graduate transfer big man would have had a big enough impact to move UTEP out of the bottom 4 in CUSA this season.
Good points, and I was also one clamoring for Terry to grab a graduate transfer big man before this season started. In hindsight, this looks like even a better move by Terry since he was able to bring in Archie using that last scholarship. I agree that bringing in an average big wouldn't have made any difference on this team this year. I am certain Terry knew that as well.

Careful UTEPdefense or sneedham will question your fan loyalty. Anyway I was one of the hopefuls after Marquette. You obviously know more about hoops than I do. So do you think Floyd would have gotten more or less out of this squad?
You know I will! lol

Are you asking me out on a date? I'll spend 20 bucks on you. I'm happy to buy you a nice fat bacon cheeseburger with chili cheese fries and a diet coke.

JrnpZSc.gif

I find it funny that people think CUSA is a "sucky" conference. CUSA has a higher RPI than the MWC or the WAC. Some wins by this "sucky" conference include.
Charlotte over Oklahoma St.
ODU over VCU and Syracuse
WKU over Wisconsin and St. Mary's
FAU over Central Florida
La Tech over Wichita St

Charlotte's win over Oklahoma St. stands out to me since, Charlotte is at the bottom of CUSA and Oklahoma St. is middle of the pack in the Big 12. As a conference CUSA is 190-187, which is more wins than 7 conferences rated ahead of CUSA. Add to it that most of the time teams in CUSA have to play "power schools" on the road, but when CUSA get them at home then CUSA wins those games.

Oklahoma state is dead last in the big 12

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised, but I don't expect much of anything from Stroud next year.
Four questions:
What is your opinion based on?
Has he been allowed to practice with the others?
Are Terry's practices open and if so have any of you attended?
Did you hear Teicher and Yellen discussing how the transfers were killing the starters in practice?

Four questions:
What is your opinion based on?
Has he been allowed to practice with the others?
Are Terry's practices open and if so have any of you attended?
Did you hear Teicher and Yellen discussing how the transfers were killing the starters in practice?
Based on his age, he's a year younger than most Collegiate Players, He's very athletic, but will he be ready to take his high flying act to D-1 right away. I see him being a good athletic wing at some point in his Miner Career. Just don't know if that much can be expected next year.

Well, to pat myself of the back, IF Gilyard is gone, I saw it first. ;)

Based on what I "think", Stroud either won't play much or will not be here at all. The transfers and returning players are so way ahead of him in this system, there isn't any way he gets many minutes. He hasn't had the luxury of being able to practice.

Last night was brutal to watch.....Jordan WILL be a star here.

Based on his age, he's a year younger than most Collegiate Players, He's very athletic, but will he be ready to take his high flying act to D-1 right away. I see him being a good athletic wing at some point in his Miner Career. Just don't know if that much can be expected next year.

I never said I expected big numbers. I said that I couldn't wait to watch him, meaning see how he performs on this level as a freshman or at least maybe some of his high flying dunks that he's known for. I want to see excitement out of my Miner squad. He was my favorite freshman coming in so was disappointed when he didn't get to play this year.

Well, to pat myself of the back, IF Gilyard is gone, I saw it first. ;)

Based on what I "think", Stroud either won't play much or will not be here at all. The transfers and returning players are so way ahead of him in this system, there isn't any way he gets many minutes. He hasn't had the luxury of being able to practice.

Last night was brutal to watch.....Jordan WILL be a star here.

Stroud came in a year earlier and has been with the team all year. Although he doesn't get to practice with the team, I see him all the time playing with the guys. I know it's not a coaches practice but I'm sure the guys are guiding him through some of the things they do at practice. He may not be a solid contributer his freshman season but will get some playing time imo. I was also a little worried about him leaving at the beginning of the season when he didn't get to play to focus on academics or whatever the case, but I think with him coming in a year earlier and being able to fully study and practice part time with the guys on his own, maybe learn the system, I don't think those are the signs of a transfer after one year

I never said I expected big numbers. I said that I couldn't wait to watch him, meaning see how he performs on this level as a freshman or at least maybe some of his high flying dunks that he's known for. I want to see excitement out of my Miner squad. He was my favorite freshman coming in so was disappointed when he didn't get to play this year.

Stroud came in a year earlier and has been with the team all year. Although he doesn't get to practice with the team, I see him all the time playing with the guys. I know it's not a coaches practice but I'm sure the guys are guiding him through some of the things they do at practice. He may not be a solid contributer his freshman season but will get some playing time imo. I was also a little worried about him leaving at the beginning of the season when he didn't get to play to focus on academics or whatever the case, but I think with him coming in a year earlier and being able to fully study and practice part time with the guys on his own, maybe learn the system, I don't think those are the signs of a transfer after one year
I am hoping that Stroud's physical abilities translate over to the defensive end. I have seen that he is known as an excellent defender. One of the needs for the team is a true lockdown type defender. If Stroud can come in and provide a spark defensively, that may be his path to some early playing time.

I am hoping that Stroud's physical abilities translate over to the defensive end. I have seen that he is known as an excellent defender. One of the needs for the team is a true lockdown type defender. If Stroud can come in and provide a spark defensively, that may be his path to some early playing time.

Agree with u 100%

I think we play 10 deep next year with Stroud on the second team getting at least 10 minutes a game. He reminds of an undersized Julian Washburn.

Reactions: MINER.JAY
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT