ADVERTISEMENT

Kaden Archie Suspended

Wait a second!!! After 25 games of averaging a 67 whopping *
Ppg, you are still, I repeat.... still hoping he can get this offense going? I can't believe this. Have you been on vacation? This Trainwreck has been going on and on for weeks. His offense is going, going gone!
* 64 ppg in conference games.
UTEP had a strong start. I will admit I had high expectations eary for Vila who has now turned into a liability.

But we have not seen the new faces in late/post season. Second, while this season turned to be a bust, unlike Dimel, CRT did show progress.

I work in real estate, you go with market reaction which shows the numbers. Some get hot, red hot like north Texas, some show a steady rise and some just plane out.

CRT showed progress, just not up to our anticipation.

Vila and Archie will stay

I think we lose William's, Odigie, Hawkins and Stroud.

Vila and Archie have turned out to be over recruits. Their positions were filled, yet Terry brought them in as 'upgrades'. They are both not very good and we will likely lose more players because of it. Another rebuild. Unfortunately we now know that Terry is not the coach most expected and his recruiting has taken a nose dive.
Tarke might be able to grad transfer as well. I still think there's a chance Lathon is gone. I can see a scenario in which we lose 6 players

There continues to be so many questions that I doubt we'll ever have answers to.
What did Terry see in Vila and still sees? The guy shoots lights out in practice. I am not talking about shooting drills either. He does it during live ball scrimmages. I have no clue why he can't do it in a game.
What did he see in Tarke, Archie and
Stroud that warranted schollies but no PT? They all have great athleticism but haven't been able to transfer that talent to basketball. The injury that Tarke got in Florida was worse than people thought and it really set him back.
What has Efe done to perturb him? Efe is a defensive liability. He is too slow to defend pick and roll the way CRT wants to defend it.
What's happened with the big downers with Hawkins and Lathon?
Started out 8-1 and 5-11 since. Why? The problem here is playing time. Last year both got tons of minutes. With the addition of Boum and Edwards, both of their minutes are down and they are competing with each other for time. Both have outside people in their ears telling them that they should be playing more.
Sorry; I'm a broken damn record and I'm stuck.

I also think that losing the assistant coaches that we did hurt the team and that the ones we got were down grades.

Rodney Terry when he was hired on transfers in college basketball:

On the transfer epidemic in college basketball)

"It has definitely changed the landscape of college basketball for sure. This time of the year, I know for us at Fresno State over the last seven years, you have different phases of the year. You're really in coach mode, and there are times you are in recruit mode. This time of the year for our staff, I challenge our staff every year to get back in recruit mode, but more important not so much recruiting other players, but we have to keep recruiting our players because other people are trying to recruit our players. We've got to go and re-recruit our guys again. We've got to have those guys feel good about what we're doing, where we're going and what we want to try to get better with in the future. So we spend a lot of time with our players. In this day and time with this generation it's so important that you have great relationships with your players, not just in basketball but away from basketball. You have to have an unbelievable relationship with them. And that may be over a lunch, that may be over a dinner, that may be over several phone calls on a regular basis, but you've got to touch them every single day. That's something that we've taken a lot of pride in. We haven't lost a lot of guys in that regard because we try to re-recruit our guys, no differently from what we're going to try to do here. We have ourselves benefitted at times at Fresno State with transfers. In the Mountain West, I always thought that you needed to try to stay older. We tried to have a blend of young players and older players. If you go in there with a lot of young players, boy it's really tough. You've got to have a blend with some older players. The thing we try to do with the transfer market ourselves is we try to re-recruit guys that we maybe didn't get the first time around. Maybe we initially started recruiting that kid earlier in his career and the next thing you know, he goes from a Mountain West caliber guy and all of a sudden he's a Pac-12 guy and he doesn't take our calls anymore. But we don't ever blow any bridges up. We keep those bridges and those relationships open. Maybe he goes somewhere and he's not as happy there and the next time around, he's calling us and saying 'Hey, can I come back and help you?' But we're fortunate enough to be able to take guys that we have had relationships with. We didn't do much in the market of taking guys that we didn't have relationships with."

Reactions: MINER.JAY
Now we get to have a whole new team for the 3rd straight year. All the transfers I see out there, never have UTEP as an option. Bottom pod bound!

I suggested firing him a few weeks ago. Should have done it. Now we’re going to sit through 2 more re-building seasons to fire him after year 4.
or we could fire him, be on the hook for 2.1 milli. Unable to pay the 700k we offered Terry we hire an unproven coach at 350k and hope to god he knows what he’s doing or else we’ll need to buy him out too.

or we could fire him, be on the hook for 2.1 milli. Unable to pay the 700k we offered Terry we hire an unproven coach at 350k and hope to god he knows what he’s doing or else we’ll need to buy him out too.

So we should pay it safe and hope for 17 wins for the next 2 years, while the fan base erodes further; all because we don’t want to take a risk and are satisfied with being mediocre?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
So we should pay it safe and hope for 17 wins for the next 2 years, while the fan base erodes further; all because we don’t want to take a risk and are satisfied with being mediocre?
If a new coach comes in, how many wins do you expect?

If a new coach comes in, how many wins do you expect?

Probably less than what Terry would produce. However, the season would remain relatively the same. Poor CUSA record, no NIT, no NCAA, but at least some hope for the future. There is no difference between 17 and 10 wins. Only in optics by cheerleaders. Just another ho-hum season.

Probably less than what Terry would produce. However, the season would remain relatively the same. Poor CUSA record, no NIT, no NCAA, but at least some hope for the future. There is no difference between 17 and 10 wins. Only in optics by cheerleaders. Just another ho-hum season.
So you want to spend 2.1 million to cut our win total? And what if things are worse with that hire and there’s less hope for the future. Every hire after Price and Floyd have been worse.

So you want to spend 2.1 million to cut our win total? And what if things are worse with that hire and there’s less hope for the future. Every hire after Price and Floyd have been worse.

I’m with NoWins. Not much difference between 10 and 17 wins. Both suggest sub par seasons as far as what we are looking for. Terry has no handle on this team and the constant influx and outflow of players tells me all I need to know. Add to that, the lack of in-game adjustments and anemic offensive sets throughout the season. We need to cut our losses and take our chances. No guarantee that the next guy will be better, but he couldn’t be much worse, I don’t think.

Fine then, let’s just fvckin close it up and get rid of the team. We keep hiring shit, what’s the point of trying to compete?

The “what if the next hire is worse than current” is a horrible reason to keep a coach.

Ok you guys are right. Terry ain’t shit, he’s never done shit, and will never do shit. Let’s fire him and pay him 2.1 to not coach and rest all of our hopes on a unknown coach. You’re guaranteed anyone with a name will steer clear of this job.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Ok you guys are right. Terry ain’t shit, he’s never done shit, and will never do shit. Let’s fire him and pay him 2.1 to not coach and rest all of our hopes on a unknown coach. You’re guaranteed anyone with a name will steer clear of this job.

Billy Gillispie, Don Haskins, John Calipari, Roy Williams, Bill Self, and countless others were once “unknown coaches” at some point. Heck even Chris Beard was a nobody 5 years ago. But yeah, we should hang on to crumby coaches so we can fire them 2 years later anyway.......

Billy Gillispie, Don Haskins, John Calipari, Roy Williams, Bill Self, and countless others were once “unknown coaches” at some point. Heck even Chris Beard was a nobody 5 years ago. But yeah, we should hang on to crumby coaches so we can fire them 2 years later anyway.......
Go ahead fire him. Your season tickets should cover a fraction of the buyout. Please be on the hiring panel so you can discover the next Bill Self.

Go ahead fire him. Your season tickets should cover a fraction of the buyout. Please be on the hiring panel so you can discover the next Bill Self.

Let’s bet. I bet you the Miners won’t make the NIT or NCAA next year, assuming there is a complete season. I don’t know the schedule or who is coming in. Name your bet.

I don’t know if I’m right or not. I know every fiber of my being tells me CRT won’t get us to where we want to be. So being that’s my belief, I’d rather not waste any more time. I think there are hungry young coaches out there who would want the job even firing Terry after only 2 or 3 years. Most coaches have a healthy dose of ego and know they are just the guy who can get it done.

We should be a little more like UH, whose president Renu Khator, told Applewhite when he was hired, 75% winning percentage is not enough to stick around. Poof, he was gone after 2 years. I’m not comparing our potential to UH but I think we’d do well to adopt the mentality that we won’t put up with not competing.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Let’s bet. I bet you the Miners won’t make the NIT or NCAA next year, assuming there is a complete season. I don’t know the schedule or who is coming in. Name your bet.
A post season bet is too risky for a mid major team. How about he will improve on the 17 wins and we will finish in a better conference position?

A post season bet is too risky for a mid major team. How about he will improve on the 17 wins and we will finish in a better conference position?

So you’re saying it will be another ho-hum year then. I wouldn’t bet on games won, as the Miners will have another charmin soft non-conference schedule. Many D2 games.

So we are so worried about the money that we will just have a coach stay here and continue with this crap? You can't tell me a booster won't ante up and cover it.

Please tell me the upside of keeping Terry compared to hiring a new coach? We know we will be sitting home with Terry again and maybe 15-17 wins.

What does it matter if a new coach comes in and wins 10 games, and begins to set the groundwork? Both will produce the same result, as we will be staying home, but at least we know something different is at least afoot, and there is a chance for the future. I just don't see what future you can gleem with Terry.

So we are so worried about the money that we will just have a coach stay here and continue with this crap? You can't tell me a booster won't ante up and cover it.

So you guys may not have noticed but athletic programs throughout the country are going through a financial crisis. The NCAA tournament cancellation will cost the schools hundreds of millions of dollars collectively. There is a strong possibility there will be either a delayed, shortened or no football season. Schools are dropping non revenue sports. Very few schools fired coaches even if they deserved it. No one is taking on buyouts of existing coaches.

UTEP was already in poor financial shape before all of this happened. There is no way any coach will be fired any time soon with years left on their contract. To even discuss firing Coach Terry is ludicrous.

So you guys may not have noticed but athletic programs throughout the country are going through a financial crisis. The NCAA tournament cancellation will cost the schools hundreds of millions of dollars collectively. There is a strong possibility there will be either a delayed, shortened or no football season. Schools are dropping non revenue sports. Very few schools fired coaches even if they deserved it. No one is taking on buyouts of existing coaches.

UTEP was already in poor financial shape before all of this happened. There is no way any coach will be fired any time soon with years left on their contract. To even discuss firing Coach Terry is ludicrous.

Yeap, that is true. Even under normal circumstances, Corona is saying to keep him. We will just be mediocre and we can fire him in 2 years anyway. The only ones that will suffer will be the fans.

What name coach has been interested in the last 10yrs? Just asking,

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

You may be right that it is not possible financially. But the real point is the reasons that are being given in keeping him that have nothing to do with money.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Archie was a bust based on the expectations and what some of us had apparently heard about practice. He was not going to start next year. If he is willing to sit out another year or hope for a waiver then more power to him. When I really think about it, the ONLY guys I'm upset about leaving so far are Eze and Stroud (BTW Fresno St has lost a bunch of transfers also). Hell Fresno St. had 20 transfers under Terry.

Overall this transfer epidemic sucks and I really believe Terry is not helping. Terry has shown to be a poor X&Os coach so far and doesn't seem to give equal opportunity to each player or be able to adjust during games. I don't think he is the answer. To have any success, he desperately needs an offensive minded young coach that can help with recruiting as well.

Maybe UTEP can use the Pandemic and potential loss of revenue to get rid of AD and both coaches.

Last edited:
I don’t know if I’m right or not. I know every fiber of my being tells me CRT won’t get us to where we want to be. So being that’s my belief, I’d rather not waste any more time. I think there are hungry young coaches out there who would want the job even firing Terry after only 2 or 3 years. Most coaches have a healthy dose of ego and know they are just the guy who can get it done.

We should be a little more like UH, whose president Renu Khator, told Applewhite when he was hired, 75% winning percentage is not enough to stick around. Poof, he was gone after 2 years. I’m not comparing our potential to UH but I think we’d do well to adopt the mentality that we won’t put up with not competing.
That sounds good. If we had the same financial backing that UH does we can make those demands. Sure I would love to jump on the fire Terry/Dimel train but I’m realistic. We have people complaining about our cheapest tickets and do you really expect for them to be “oh here’s $100 or $1000 towards our coaches buyouts.” Naw. UH does have those type of contributors.

I personally know how much I make and what I can afford to buy and not buy. There’s no point in looking at the million dollar mansions since i can’t afford it.

We can bearly manage to pay our coaches a middle of the conference salary so I highly doubt we have millions stored away for hiring mistakes.

As far as Terry, I don’t know yet. He did have success at Fresno against a tougher conference and with less resources. I think he can duplicate what he did over there but I don’t think it’s overnight or the old school traditions we’re used to. Where year one we go 10-20 year 2: 15-15, year 3: 20-10, and year four we win 25+ and make the NCAAT. NCAA basketball is turning into a free market where every year you’ll be constantly rotating in new players. Unfortunately Terry didn’t hit this year.

You may be right that it is not possible financially. But the real point is the reasons that are being given in keeping him that have nothing to do with money.
It’s all about money. Tell me which group of donors are stepping up to cover the 2.1? Are there any active fundraisers to cover the buyout? Or how about those mysterious donors that are going to bail us out why don’t they put up the money up front so we can hire a proven winner instead of paying Terry a cool 2.1 milli to sit at home and play Xbox? There’s no money for anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT