ADVERTISEMENT

Kaden Archie Suspended

And he made 2 NITs in 8 years, great hire!!!!!
Exactly my point. How many on here believed he was a step up from Barbee? The next hire isn’t always better. Add the 2.1 million buyout and this conversation is useless. Terry will be the coach. Get used to it or go cheer the longhorn.

It’s all about money. Tell me which group of donors are stepping up to cover the 2.1? Are there any active fundraisers to cover the buyout? Or how about those mysterious donors that are going to bail us out why don’t they put up the money up front so we can hire a proven winner instead of paying Terry a cool 2.1 milli to sit at home and play Xbox? There’s no money for anything.
Exactly. Can you imagine Senter even trying to approach these high dollar donors? First thing they would ask is who hired these guys and gave them guaranteed 5 year contracts. For me, the first step would be to hold Senter accountable, and work the way down from there. At every other major university that is how things work, but unfortunately not at UTEP.

Exactly. Can you imagine Senter even trying to approach these high dollar donors? First thing they would ask is who hired these guys and gave them guaranteed 5 year contracts. For me, the first step would be to hold Senter accountable, and work the way down from there. At every other major university that is how things work, but unfortunately not at UTEP.
I've always thought that Paul Foster was somehow the answer for UTEP athletics. Obviously he has his own problems right now, but I would think that if UTEP athletics were to take a turn that he has to be involved.

Exactly. Can you imagine Senter even trying to approach these high dollar donors? First thing they would ask is who hired these guys and gave them guaranteed 5 year contracts. For me, the first step would be to hold Senter accountable, and work the way down from there. At every other major university, that is how things work, but unfortunately not at UTEP.
Thank you. I’m all aboard Fire Senter. He’s the one who overpaid for both underperforming coaches. With a new president this would be a good time to start clean. No one will blink an eye if the new AD wants his own hires. It might even motivate the fan base to contribute towards the buyouts. Firing Terry and Dimel and then having Senter hire new coaches is a waste of money and false HOPE. We should have known the kind of athletic department he was going to lead when he couldn’t get his old football coach to come down to EP and instead settled for handsome Dimel.

Exactly my point. How many on here believed he was a step up from Barbee? The next hire isn’t always better. Add the 2.1 million buyout and this conversation is useless. Terry will be the coach. Get used to it or go cheer the longhorn.

Everyone did. But that’s also my point, you can hire unknown coaches and it works out well.

I don’t like the Longhorns, must have me confused with unihorn

Obviously Archie couldn’t land a lovely Latina or he’d be staying.

We can bearly manage to pay our coaches a middle of the conference salary so I highly doubt we have millions stored away for hiring mistakes.

Not a good argument, Corona. On base salary, Rodney Terry is the highest paid men's basketball coach in C-USA. Even accounting for the various bonus structures, Terry would rank at or very near the top:

Team - Coach - Base Pay
UTEP Miners - Rodney Terry - $725,000
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers - Rick Stansbury - $650,000
Middle Tennessee - Nick McDevitt - $575,000
North Texas - Grant McCasland - $500,000
Charlotte - Ron Sanchez - $450,000
UAB - Robert Ehsan - $400,000
Florida Atlantic - Dusty May - $390,000
UTSA Roadrunners - Steve Henson - $325,000
Southern Miss - Jay Ladner - $315,000
Florida International - Jeremy Ballard - $300,000
Old Dominion - Jeff Jones - $223,774
Marshall - Dan D'Antoni - $200,000
Louisiana Tech - Eric Konkol - $150,000
Rice - Scott Pera - (salary not available)

Last edited:
Reactions: JCorona
Not a good argument, Corona. On base salary, Rodney Terry is the highest paid men's basketball coach in C-USA. Even accounting for the various bonus structures, Terry would rank at or very near the top:

Team - Coach - Base Pay
UTEP Miners - Rodney Terry - $725,000
Western Kentucky Hilltoppers - Rick Stansbury - $650,000
Middle Tennessee - Nick McDevitt - $575,000
North Texas - Grant McCasland - $500,000
Charlotte - Ron Sanchez - $450,000
UAB - Robert Ehsan - $400,000
Florida Atlantic - Dusty May - $390,000
UTSA Roadrunners - Steve Henson - $325,000
Southern Miss - Jay Ladner - $315,000
Florida International - Jeremy Ballard - $300,000
Old Dominion - Jeff Jones - $223,774
Marshall - Dan D'Antoni - $200,000
Louisiana Tech - Eric Konkol - $150,000
Rice - Scott Pera - (salary not available)
Well thanks for clearing that up and further proving what a dumb hire Senter was. Basically Terry is guaranteed his 725k. Everyone else in the conference has to win games, titles, or do something meaningful to still make less than what Terry does.

or we could fire him, be on the hook for 2.1 milli. Unable to pay the 700k we offered Terry we hire an unproven coach at 350k and hope to god he knows what he’s doing or else we’ll need to buy him out too.
If Billy Gillispie was apparently ready to get back to coaching Division I ball, why weren't we #1 on each other's list? The fans would embrace him, I guarantee!

I would be happy bringing back Barbee; he brought in a ton of talent here and built a team. Unlike Terry (apparently), the players loved him. Does he really not want to be a head coach again?

Rodney Terry when he was hired on transfers in college basketball:

On the transfer epidemic in college basketball)

"It has definitely changed the landscape of college basketball for sure. This time of the year, I know for us at Fresno State over the last seven years, you have different phases of the year. You're really in coach mode, and there are times you are in recruit mode. This time of the year for our staff, I challenge our staff every year to get back in recruit mode, but more important not so much recruiting other players, but we have to keep recruiting our players because other people are trying to recruit our players. We've got to go and re-recruit our guys again. We've got to have those guys feel good about what we're doing, where we're going and what we want to try to get better with in the future. So we spend a lot of time with our players. In this day and time with this generation it's so important that you have great relationships with your players, not just in basketball but away from basketball. You have to have an unbelievable relationship with them. And that may be over a lunch, that may be over a dinner, that may be over several phone calls on a regular basis, but you've got to touch them every single day. That's something that we've taken a lot of pride in. We haven't lost a lot of guys in that regard because we try to re-recruit our guys, no differently from what we're going to try to do here. We have ourselves benefitted at times at Fresno State with transfers. In the Mountain West, I always thought that you needed to try to stay older. We tried to have a blend of young players and older players. If you go in there with a lot of young players, boy it's really tough. You've got to have a blend with some older players. The thing we try to do with the transfer market ourselves is we try to re-recruit guys that we maybe didn't get the first time around. Maybe we initially started recruiting that kid earlier in his career and the next thing you know, he goes from a Mountain West caliber guy and all of a sudden he's a Pac-12 guy and he doesn't take our calls anymore. But we don't ever blow any bridges up. We keep those bridges and those relationships open. Maybe he goes somewhere and he's not as happy there and the next time around, he's calling us and saying 'Hey, can I come back and help you?' But we're fortunate enough to be able to take guys that we have had relationships with. We didn't do much in the market of taking guys that we didn't have relationships with."
Rodney Terry has apparently done a terrible job "re-recruiting" his players at UTEP.

Reactions: Autograph Boy
If Billy Gillispie was apparently ready to get back to coaching Division I ball, why weren't we #1 on each other's list? The fans would embrace him, I guarantee!

I would be happy bringing back Barbee; he brought in a ton of talent here and built a team. Unlike Terry (apparently), the players loved him. Does he really not want to be a head coach again?
Gillispie has more skeletons and this may be too big of a job for him now after what's he's done for his reputation.

Barbee. I would hire him back, bit he wasn't happy when he was here. I say this from my one interaction with him. I saw him and congratulated him for making it into the Tourny and was telling him what a great season it was.

His response was basically just "all of y'all weren't that happy with me just a little bit ago and a polite goodbye". You could just tell that there was a little bit of bitterness in that voice. Like where were you guys the first 3 seasons?

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Gillispie has more skeletons and this may be too big of a job for him now after what's he's done for his reputation.

Barbee. I would hire him back, bit he wasn't happy when he was here. I say this from my one interaction with him. I saw him and congratulated him for making it into the Tourny and was telling him what a great season it was.

His response was basically just "all of y'all weren't that happy with me just a little bit ago and a polite goodbye". You could just tell that there was a little bit of bitterness in that voice. Like where were you guys the first 3 seasons?
I think Gillispie's skeletons are known. He's paid his price, literally needed an organ donation to save his life, and he seems to be well into recovery. If he's willing to coach again at this level, I think he's earned the chance. He's the best coach we've had since the turn of the century and it's our loss that he's coaching D-I somewhere else.

As for Barbee, the fans came through for him during the CBI, packed the Haskins center.

Where am I missing the scoop? Reading the posts I have cleverly deduced that Archie is a goner. When and where was the post?

Different administration and bad timing. Senter won’t fire his guy after two years. If Stull was still the AD I wouldn’t have put it past him to bring Billy back when letting go of Floyd.

Barbee might come back now that Stull is gone. BS did him dirty. We’re still paying for it.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Let me tell you what's interesting and frustrating. Don't kill me for comparing us to our rival NMSU but next year they will have 4-4 star players, three of which are coming in this year: CJ Roberts, Marcus Watson, and Mayan Kiir. A school in a much smaller city, worse conference yet they seem to succeed. I just don't get it.

Let me tell you what's interesting and frustrating. Don't kill me for comparing us to our rival NMSU but next year they will have 4-4 star players, three of which are coming in this year: CJ Roberts, Marcus Watson, and Mayan Kiir. A school in a much smaller city, worse conference yet they seem to succeed. I just don't get it.

Aggie lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You sir are not a fan by bringing facts here. Only true Miner fans know that NMSU sucks, the WAC sucks, and Less Cruces sucks! Those are facts Aggroid!

NMSU has good leadership and they win important things. UTEP has possibly the worse leadership and they win nothing. That’s why NMSU has good players.

I thought we couldn’t get any worse than when we had Kugler and Floyd. I know a lot of you here will argue we are way worse but if we’re not then we are just millimeters above that low point and I am thinking who do we hire to undo this mess?

Reactions: Autograph Boy
Aggie lover!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You sir are not a fan by bringing facts here. Only true Miner fans know that NMSU sucks, the WAC sucks, and Less Cruces sucks! Those are facts Aggroid!

NMSU has good leadership and they win important things. UTEP has possibly the worse leadership and they win nothing. That’s why NMSU has good players.

You, sir, are the aggy lover.

Looks like Sam Houston and Georgia Southern are after Archie!

Terry messed up by bringing in Vila/Archie. He better pray that Kennedy fits the Bryson/Boum category

Reactions: Lil_Train
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT