ADVERTISEMENT

Kugler's new camp philosophy

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
One of the odder and unreported stories about UTEP football is the short camp. UTEP will have the fewest practices of any fbs school. This year the ncaa has banned two a days. A school can practice 29 times before their first game. Most schools opened up camps on Monday. UTEP doesn't begin until Tuesday. If UTEP practiced everyday until the first game, which they wont, they would only have 24 practices. It can be safely assumed UTEP will not use at least eight of the practice days they could have used. This year camp Ruidoso is three days longer than last year. Are they giving up practices because they are going be more physical than usual? Are they doing it to reduce wear and tear? I don't know why the shortened camp. It's highly unusual for a coach to give up practice days.

Reactions: UTEPDefense
One of the odder and unreported stories about UTEP football is the short camp. UTEP will have the fewest practices of any fbs school. This year the ncaa has banned two a days. A school can practice 29 times before their first game. Most schools opened up camps on Monday. UTEP doesn't begin until Tuesday. If UTEP practiced everyday until the first game, which they wont, they would only have 24 practices. It can be safely assumed UTEP will not use at least eight of the practice days they could have used. This year camp Ruidoso is three days longer than last year. Are they giving up practices because they are going be more physical than usual? Are they doing it to reduce wear and tear? I don't know why the shortened camp. It's highly unusual for a coach to give up practice days.

That can't be right -- makes zero sense.

I was wondering about our later start also. UTSA and UNT began their practices at the beginning of this week, yet we won't start our camp until more than a week after them, even though all of us play our first game on September 2nd.

As for the two-a-days, I believe that we can still have two-a-days, but you are not allowed to have contact in both sessions. So we can still have a contact morning practice and a shells afternoon practice, or vice-versa. I believe. So if we do this, then we will still be able to fit in all of our allowed practices, especially if we are staying longer in Ruidoso.

Last edited:
I can see where Kigler doesn't want to wear his players out but I think they need all the practice they can get. There are too many questions on the offensive and defensive sides of the ball.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
Why not have somewhere in Texas? They should have camp in Midland/ Odessa . I bet it would help recruiting in that area.

My new camp philosophy:

a307e1c94167790a1f18e8530f1812cf--cheer-spirit-college-cheer.jpg

The on-line EP Times said the late start for practice was due to the length of UTEP's 2nd summer session. Why they didn't start practice for this past week while still in EP and not wait until the camp in Ruidoso is beyond me. No one in FBS willingly throws away practice opportunities.

While I have the bar very low this year, if you follow the team and/or players on social media they were busting ass this summer so I'll give them that. The players appear to have good morale and healthy attitude which is a major plus of Kugler recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT