ADVERTISEMENT

Least favorite college teams

Cube Jack

MI Hall of Famer
Mar 10, 2006
El Paso, TX
Hey, it's the offseason...

Are there any college teams you just can't stand? I wish we still had more real rivals nowadays, but since I'm from a different era I still have some old grudges:

5. UNM -- obnoxious and their teams aren't even amy good. I miss getting that second win over the state of New Mexico every year

4. Notre Dame -- not that UTEP has ever played them in my lifetime. I think I just hated that some fans from El Paso bragged about them yet have zero connection to the school.

3. BYU -- hey, I'm a Miner. I've only seen two wins over the school in Provo in my life, but loved them both. Remember the obnoxious Reid twins?

2. UT Austin -' what? It's my opinion. Arrogant bunch of babies who can't take any smack talk. Even worse are the people who never went there yet brag about the puke orange school. Then there are those who did go there and won't shut up about it.

1. NMSU -- duh... obnoxious and foul-mouthed... and some of the men are just as bad. I've loved this decade of football against them.

Last edited:
My top five are.

#5 Texas Tech. If only they would have missed that fg over a decade ago. Why didn't Edward commit to UTEP instead? F&$k we had them on the ropes two years ago.

#4 SMU. Those snotty pricks used to be one of the only teams worse than us. We had a good rivalry heating up until they left CUSA. It's dying since we no longer play each other. I can see UNT taking their place.

#3 UTSA. Them color stealing hand sign duplicators are getting on my nerves. We shouldn't be losing to those guys. A few years ago they didn't even have a football team. We should never lose to them in basketball ever.

#2 NMSU. Yawn. Beating up little brother is getting boring now. TF better step up his game and sweep the aggies this coming season.

#1 UNM. It's personal when we play them. Maybe it's because the old WAC history or because the games are few in between. One of the only games that stir up butterflies.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Hey, it's the offseason...

Are there any college teams you just can't stand? I wish we still had more real rivals nowadays, but since I'm from a different era I still have some old grudges:

5. UNM -- obnoxious and their teams aren't even amy good. I miss getting that second win over the state of New Mexico every year

4. Notre Dame -- not that UTEP has ever played them in my lifetime. I think I just hated that some fans from El Paso bragged about them yet havery zero connection to the school.

3. BYU -- hey, I'm a Miner. I've only seen two wins over the school in Provo in my life, but loved them both. Remember the obnoxious Reid twins?

2. UT Austin -' what? It's my opinion. Arrogant bunch of babies who can't take any smack talk.been worse are the people who never went there yet brag about the puke orange school. Then there are those who did go there and won't shut up about it.

1. NMSU -- duh... obnoxious and foul-mouthed... and some of the men are just as bad. I've loved this decade of football against them.

I'm guessing you didn't get in to Texas?

Incarnate Word. Hate that school. Should have blown them out. Rumor has it Kugler asked their qb to transfer. "I can make you the next Jameill Showers!"

Weber State: Didn't Price coach there? Blew their doors out in El Paso.

Houston Baptist: Hate them worse than Notre Dame

Valdosta State: That 1995 game should have been a blow out. That was the start of good rivalry, IMO.

Northern Illinois: Who can forget that magical year or that game in September 1996 under Bailey? Right Coach Kug?! 37-6
F'yeah!! 0-8 in the WAC and 2-9 on the season. I think Stull asked UNI to petition the WAC as a member. Stull told EP TImes "Who else are we going to find that we can whomp on like that on the road?!"

LSU: Damn that 1997 game brings back some good memories. Need to get UTEP into the SEC.

Sam Houston State: C'mon Lieb! You work there, get that rivalry back going! That 1990 game was so close.

5. Tulsa
4. San Diego St.
3. Wyoming
2. Colorado St.
1. BYU

Old school.

Notre Dame
Any school Alford is at
Bama
Notre Dame
UTSA thieving bastards

Being a Miner, you would think I should hate NMSU. Afterall, I am old and remember the good ol days when there was a real rivalry. The days when my brand new truck was keyed in their parking lot for no damn reason aside from having my UTEP stuff on it. When all games would be packed.
I just can't anymore. I actually feel bad for them. (not that WE have much to brag about) My sister graduated from there and my 2 step daughters are now attended NMSU. I just can't hate them...

1-3 - Texas, I dislike everything about that campus, right down to their ugly ass school color scheme.
4-5 - Notre Dame, for obvious reasons.

1. Any Big 12 school that refuses to schedule the University of Houston in football*
2. Texas Tech
3. Rinse and repeat.
4. Texas Tech
5. Rinse and repeat.

*Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech are the only Big 12 schools currently willing to schedule UH in football. Tech will play at UH in 2017.

My top five least favorite teams based on basketball teams are:
5. New Mexico St
4. Memphis (can't stand they beat us in CUSA final)
3. Texas (this one based both basketball and football)
2. North Carolina (can't stand Roy Williams the cheater)
1. Kentucky (can't stand Calipari)

1. Texas: Their alumnus usually aren't too bad. The problem is every toothless meth head in this state reps the whorns. Aggies alumns are way more annoying than whorn alumns. The difference is Aggies shun t-shirts fans like no other school. If you dont have an Aggie ring they dont want you repping their school or wearing the gear. Aggies dissuade the " minimum wage Bob's" from supporting. Nine out of ten people wearing whorn gear have no connection to the school and no nothing anout the athletoc programs. This make their fan base the worst.

2. Houston: Houston is the only state school we have ever had a rivalry with. When we came into Conference USA we were the first state university that shared a conference with them since the breakup of the Southwest Conference. They didn't like us. They disparaged our school, academics, students and alumns. We showed in numbers in athletic events in Houston that no conference school had since the breakup up of the Southwest Conference. They hated being in a conference with us. Anytime we played the the coors the yeah talk in the stands far exceeded the trash talk that happens with any other school we play. It was vulgar it was intense, there was no love. One year after they upset in the first round of the cusa tournament, a brawl broke out outside the Fed ex forum between about 20 utep and uh fans. Can you imagine a group of UTEP fans fighting a group of day fans after a first round game, it would never happen. The passion and intensity was always ramped up when we played the coors. I miss the games they are the only instate conference rival we've ever had.

3. Texas Tech: I've honestly never known a successful tech alumni. They are illiterate vile obnoxious and proud of it. Lubbock make El Paso seem like south beach. The world need pizza delivery guys and tech certainly produces them in mass quantity.

Reactions: Cube Jack and Rot
2. Houston: Houston is the only state school we have ever had a rivalry with. When we came into Conference USA we were the first state university that shared a conference with them since the breakup of the Southwest Conference. They didn't like us. They disparaged our school, academics, students and alumns. We showed in numbers in athletic events in Houston that no conference school had since the breakup up of the Southwest Conference. They hated being in a conference with us. Anytime we played the the coors the yeah talk in the stands far exceeded the trash talk that happens with any other school we play. It was vulgar it was intense, there was no love. One year after they upset in the first round of the cusa tournament, a brawl broke out outside the Fed ex forum between about 20 utep and uh fans. Can you imagine a group of UTEP fans fighting a group of day fans after a first round game, it would never happen. The passion and intensity was always ramped up when we played the coors. I miss the games they are the only instate conference rival we've ever had.

3. Texas Tech: I've honestly never known a successful tech alumni. They are illiterate vile obnoxious and proud of it. Lubbock make El Paso seem like south beach. The world need pizza delivery guys and tech certainly produces them in mass quantity.

Okay, I'll take the bait...

First off, what's up with multiple references to the "coors"? Presume those were typos on your part as they would be the equivalent reference to the "minors", and I'm quite sure you wouldn't appreciate that, right?

On several occasions, you've publicly stated your feelings about the UH fan base. Now, as then, I vigorously dispute your over the top characterization of UH fans and alumni with respect to UTEP. My personal feelings and experience is that it just ain't so, and I'll go out on a limb and suggest that I likely have a better pipeline to Cougar Nation than you. Not sure who laid a glove on you but it obviously left some serious scars.

And by the way, I have no love lost for Texas Tech (see my above post), but to state you've "never known a successful tech alumni" and that they are "illiterate, vile, obnoxious, and proud of it" suggests that you either don't get out much, have a twisted sense of humor, or need to work on your people skills. Or all three...

Coors was coogs auto corrected, I didn't catch it. As for Houston, there was a lot of trash talk it went both ways. Don't have an issue with it. Like I said Houston was the first in state public school we had been in conference with since the sixties. We were the first texas public school uh had been in a conference sin the end of the SWC. If you think UH fans and administration liked us, I don't know what to tell you. This century we've had no real conference rivals of really any rivals period. The NMSU rivalry has been dying for years. UNM could be a rival but it's dormant right now. Utsa could become a rival bit it's not there. In recent history Houston is the only real conference rival we've had and the only instate rival most fans can remember. The fan bases didn't like each other. If it make you feel better I don't like smu or Tulsa either. You guys don't like tech, a&m and Texas who are former conference mates. Most of us don't like UH because they are a former conference mate.

As for the Tech thing. Of course there are successful alumns of tech. There are successful alumni from every school. I'm sorry I offended you by using too much hyperbole in a summer thread about schools we dislike.

It's unfortunate you extrapolate your personal experiences to "UH fans and administration". We're all a product of our experiences, but I can only tell you that I have not seen anything near the vitriol toward UTEP by UH Nation that you claim. Beyond individual experiences, there are numerous, specific reasons Houston fans take serious exception to most Big 12 programs - history, exclusion from the State's PUF, the circle jerk the conference put UH through last summer and, most of all, the fact that only three Big 12 programs (TT, OU, OkSt) will even schedule Houston in football and basketball. Remember, we're talking mega-millions here...

As for "hyperbole", I still think your comments about Tech were unnecessary and over the top. I've NEVER heard anybody talk like that about UTEP grads, even using "hyperbole" in a "summer thread about schools we dislike".

Reactions: MineroFanatico
It's unfortunate you extrapolate your personal experiences to "UH fans and administration". We're all a product of our experiences, but I can only tell you that I have not seen anything near the vitriol toward UTEP by UH Nation that you claim. Beyond individual experiences, there are numerous, specific reasons Houston fans take serious exception to most Big 12 programs - history, exclusion from the State's PUF, the circle jerk the conference put UH through last summer and, most of all, the fact that only three Big 12 programs (TT, OU, OkSt) will even schedule Houston in football and basketball. Remember, we're talking mega-millions here...

As for "hyperbole", I still think your comments about Tech were unnecessary and over the top. I've NEVER heard anybody talk like that about UTEP grads, even using "hyperbole" in a "summer thread about schools we dislike".

If you've never heard anybody talk like that about UTEP grads you haven't been around very much. Some opposing fans have expressed much worse sentiment toward UTEP including UH fans. You use a double standard it ok to for UH fans to dislike former conference but it's not ok for UTEP to do the same. In your world Houston fans loved and respected that couldn't be farther from the truth.

This isn't a UH board. I don't go to cougar boards and talk about UTEP or UH. I don't know why you think we should all love and respect UH. You need to grow thicker skin. I refer to the longhorns as the whorns all the time on this board. Unihorn has never once complained, probably because this isn't a Texas board.

It's the summer, it's the slow time of the year. On message boards their are plenty of flame boards and trash talks that are way more over the top than mine. We don't need a UH hall monitor.

I don't complain, but I do wish you'd come up with something more clever than "whorns" or the red-ass aggroid favorite "T-sips."

Last edited:
Speaking of LEAST favorite teams, I just drove by USM a few hours ago. Back when Tyndall coached, I hated them. Hated em.

Reactions: unihorn
If you've never heard anybody talk like that about UTEP grads you haven't been around very much. Some opposing fans have expressed much worse sentiment toward UTEP including UH fans. You use a double standard it ok to for UH fans to dislike former conference but it's not ok for UTEP to do the same. In your world Houston fans loved and respected that couldn't be farther from the truth.

This isn't a UH board. I don't go to cougar boards and talk about UTEP or UH. I don't know why you think we should all love and respect UH. You need to grow thicker skin. I refer to the longhorns as the whorns all the time on this board. Unihorn has never once complained, probably because this isn't a Texas board.

It's the summer, it's the slow time of the year. On message boards their are plenty of flame boards and trash talks that are way more over the top than mine. We don't need a UH hall monitor.

Whoa, dude, "UH hall monitor"? What the hell is up with that, you seem intent on lecturing and taking things to a different level. And let me tell you something else, scooter, I come to this board not to discuss UH athletics, but because I have a degree of interest in UTEP athletics, something that seems to be in increasingly short supply these days. And I would like to think I occasionally contribute to the dialogue on this board regarding UTEP athletics, particularly in football where I have somewhat of a background. Even get an occasional "like" or two. With few exceptions - you come to mind - the members in this community are reasonable, congenial, and engaging. When I'm on this or any message board, I consider myself a visitor and try to conduct myself accordingly.

Again, your toxic personal experiences with other fan bases are regrettable, particularly as they relate to UH. I would encourage you not to extrapolate those experiences to the entire UH administration and fan base any more than I would judge the entire UTEP fan base by your comments.

Last edited:
That's remarkable. My respect for you has increased even more now.

I doubt I'd get in now haha.

I've also completed some graduate courses at UTEP, so it's not like I'm a total t-shirt Miner fan.

Last edited:
I doubt I'd get in now haha.

I've also completed some graduate courses at UTEP, so it's not like I'm a total t-shirt Miner fan.
Academically speaking that's a prestigious accomplishment. I'm more impressed that you're here hanging around with us Miner fans struggling with life as a G5. When you could easily take a seat at the big boy table. You seem like a real cool and down to earth guy. As MinerforLife mentioned there's a ton of Texas t-shirt fans that have absolutely no connection to the university or the city of Austin. The ones who did graduate from UT have a sense of superiority that they would never get caught dead living in El Paso. Without knowing anything about why you're a UTEP season ticket holder or what you're doing in El Paso I sincerely applaud you.

Reactions: unihorn
5. Cincinnati: after we beat Kansas (1992) then head coach for Cincy Huggins said they shouldn't even be playing UTEP in the sweet 16. Lucky jerk got off easy and they barely beat us (69-67).

4. BYU: disliked them more when they were better.

3. Duke: just don't like them. I think we all know why.

2. Texas: UTEP had to sue the UT-System for underfunding UTEP back in the 80's. Plus they are underachievers. They should be top 10 and win championship all the time with all that funding. I guess UTEP has one up on them in NCAA Basketball championships.

1. Mountain West Conference. For squeezing us out and making us flee to CUSA.

Speaking of teams I hate, part II...I'm driving through Birmingham tomorrow morning. I plan on sticking my hand out the window and giving that city/university the bird as I drive on through...the whole gott damn way.

Reactions: ReddinAZ
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT